Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > HistoryOfConcertSound.org

Meyer tweeter array

<< < (3/4) > >>

John L Nobile:
I don't recall piezos ever sounding very good. I always thought that the only reason for having them was to claim a 20khz and higher freq response on paper.

Am I wrong???

Dave Pluke:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on June 17, 2019, 11:19:41 AM ---I don't recall piezos ever sounding very good. I always thought that the only reason for having them was to claim a 20khz and higher freq response on paper.

Am I wrong???

--- End quote ---

Nope!

All they did, IMHO, was to add a little HF static sufficient to fool some ears.

"The Emperor's new high end" for those of us too cheap to buy JBL slots or bullets...

Dave

duane massey:

--- Quote from: John L Nobile on June 17, 2019, 11:19:41 AM ---I don't recall piezos ever sounding very good. I always thought that the only reason for having them was to claim a 20khz and higher freq response on paper.

Am I wrong???

--- End quote ---
The small piezos were pretty horrible. The larger ones, if used with a passive network, could be "ok". I still have a small 2-way cabinet with a screw-on horn/piezo, and it works well for a monitor on a small stage. None of them sound good at higher levels.

Paul G. OBrien:
All of the original Motorola piezos were super tweeters and any type of deployment that didn't use them as such ended badly. I used them in a few DIY projects of mine back in the '80s, for home audio apps they delivered a lot more topend than the cone tweeters that were common at the time but they didn't have the power handling capacity to survive PA applications in singles or even doubles. I still have some with holes burned through the piezo element from my first DJ cabs, after blowing these up twice in 2 gigs I substituted regular bullet super tweeters and gained a massive increase in sound quality, instead of everything sounding like frying bacon from moderate drive levels up I could actually discern the difference between ride and crash cymbals and the system had much better dynamic range. Except for the later powerline compression driver versions these things were really only good for lower power levels.
I remember there was a guy down the street with a Traynor or Peavey 2-way system, 15's with the big white horn something like the old Yamaha 4115 but with and separate super tweeter box on top with 8 or 10 piezo units in an arched horizontal array. This system definitely worked better but it still had too much of the frying bacon sound at higher drive levels, I quickly came to dislike this characteristic after switching my own system to proper compression drivers.

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Paul G. OBrien on June 17, 2019, 08:52:52 PM ---All of the original Motorola piezos were super tweeters and any type of deployment that didn't use them as such ended badly. I used them in a few DIY projects of mine back in the '80s, for home audio apps they delivered a lot more topend than the cone tweeters that were common at the time but they didn't have the power handling capacity to survive PA applications in singles or even doubles. I still have some with holes burned through the piezo element from my first DJ cabs, after blowing these up twice in 2 gigs I substituted regular bullet super tweeters and gained a massive increase in sound quality, instead of everything sounding like frying bacon from moderate drive levels up I could actually discern the difference between ride and crash cymbals and the system had much better dynamic range. Except for the later powerline compression driver versions these things were really only good for lower power levels.
I remember there was a guy down the street with a Traynor or Peavey 2-way system, 15's with the big white horn something like the old Yamaha 4115 but with and separate super tweeter box on top with 8 or 10 piezo units in an arched horizontal array. This system definitely worked better but it still had too much of the frying bacon sound at higher drive levels, I quickly came to dislike this characteristic after switching my own system to proper compression drivers.

--- End quote ---

All sizzle, no steak.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version