ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: North American Tour... rent? buy?  (Read 3525 times)

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
North American Tour... rent? buy?
« on: June 12, 2019, 11:39:14 AM »

I have a pending opportunity to go on a North American tour, doing FOH. Details are still being finalized, but I'm contemplating a few things and would appreciate any suggestions or ideas/thoughts.

A really, really good friend of mine plays in the opening band, and their gear is good, but not great. They'll get some tour support (FOH console provided, catering, pay, etc), but are largely on their own in-terms of monitors (all IEM), vocal mics, and whatnot.

After I sold/closed my production company, I kept *just enough* stuff to do small gigs and whatnot.

The gear that I currently own and would take out on the tour consists of:

QTY 2 = ULXD4Q with UA844 combiners
QTY 6 = ULXD2 handhelds with various capsules
QTY 1 = SBRC with 4 SB-AX modules and SB900a batteries
QTY 2 = PSM900 IEM systems with P9RA+ receivers

I'd be covered with mics, no problem (they only need 3 vocal mics). Their current IEM systems run the gamut - mixed brands, models, etc., so I was thinking about adding more PSM900 rigs. Would make everything nice and consistent and would be easier to RF coordinate.

So, here's my quandary - do I rent 5 more PSM900 rigs for the tour, or purchase them myself? I'd also need to source another SBRC with charging modules, and two of the PA421 combiners for the IEM stuff, because I'd much prefer a nice, neat rack and fewer antennas.

If things go well, I'd probably have an opportunity to do more touring with them, which may lend an advantage to the purchase side of things.

What's the typical going rate for rentals on things like this? Any preferred vendors to work with? Anything I should look for/ask for?

I haven't really done any long-term rentals before... only a little cross-renting with local folks.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: North American Tour... rent? buy?
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2019, 01:08:15 PM »

What's the typical going rate for rentals on things like this? Any preferred vendors to work with?

Clearwing is just down the road from you.  Might be small potatoes for them, but worth a conversation.

As to the Rent vs Buy conundrum, the first question to ask is whether, at the end of this tour, you want to have possession of this gear or you want to drop it off and be done.  The former pretty much makes its own decision, based simply on the numbers.  The latter might mean you convince the band to purchase the gear to own or they just write it off as a touring expense.

The wireless situation would *seem* to be stable for the anticipated lifecycle of this equipment, so at least there's not a pending risk of obsolescence.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Lyle Williams

« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 03:39:33 PM »

It may be cheaper to buy and sell then to long-term rent.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 04:23:20 PM »

Have the band buy the gear. That way they can use it after they get done with the tour and it's not on you balance sheet nor is is up to you to put out the cash to purchase it.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Lyle Williams

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 01:29:29 AM »

...but then provision of this gear it's not a service you can charge for.

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 08:00:00 AM »

I have a pending opportunity to go on a North American tour, doing FOH. Details are still being finalized, but I'm contemplating a few things and would appreciate any suggestions or ideas/thoughts.

A really, really good friend of mine plays in the opening band, and their gear is good, but not great. They'll get some tour support (FOH console provided, catering, pay, etc), but are largely on their own in-terms of monitors (all IEM), vocal mics, and whatnot.

After I sold/closed my production company, I kept *just enough* stuff to do small gigs and whatnot.

The gear that I currently own and would take out on the tour consists of:

QTY 2 = ULXD4Q with UA844 combiners
QTY 6 = ULXD2 handhelds with various capsules
QTY 1 = SBRC with 4 SB-AX modules and SB900a batteries
QTY 2 = PSM900 IEM systems with P9RA+ receivers

I'd be covered with mics, no problem (they only need 3 vocal mics). Their current IEM systems run the gamut - mixed brands, models, etc., so I was thinking about adding more PSM900 rigs. Would make everything nice and consistent and would be easier to RF coordinate.

So, here's my quandary - do I rent 5 more PSM900 rigs for the tour, or purchase them myself? I'd also need to source another SBRC with charging modules, and two of the PA421 combiners for the IEM stuff, because I'd much prefer a nice, neat rack and fewer antennas.

If things go well, I'd probably have an opportunity to do more touring with them, which may lend an advantage to the purchase side of things.

What's the typical going rate for rentals on things like this? Any preferred vendors to work with? Anything I should look for/ask for?

I haven't really done any long-term rentals before... only a little cross-renting with local folks.

Steve, after having a rental company that does one-off rentals, the rate for tours on gear will probably disappoint you from an ROI perspective.  That said, it's you as the operator and your people as the artist, so at least you know how the gear is getting handled.  The ultimate question as others have indicated is whether you want to end up with the gear at the end of the tour, whether it be to own or resell.  If the band needs the gear on a regular basis, I agree with recommending that they purchase (and be responsible) for it.  And if that's the case, you may want to consider the P10R packs with the P9T transmitter, or even complete PSM1000 systems altogether. 

The other thing that you have to strongly consider for touring is the packaging.  Are you doing van and trailer, bus and truck, fly dates, or some combo thereof?  If you're FOH it sounds as if you may be handling some of the PM duties as well, so you'll want to make sure ALL of it is ready for the necessary transport, including closely looking at weights if you're doing fly dates.  Fly pack cases from Void Racks, Circle Three Designs, or even SKB can save you a lot of headache if planes are involved.

One item I want to point out is in your discussion of PSM900s, you mention buying two PA421.  I'd skip that and look at the other offerings in the market that give you 8 outputs such as the PA821, or new offerings from RF Venue and Professional Wireless that were announced at InfoComm yesterday.  PWS also is showing a short-length helical that is slightly less forward gain, but a wider pattern, which is perfect for IEM use.

A second item is the rechargeable battery systems.  While I agree that it would be great to save the disposables, if you don't have a place to reliably leave them plugged in and charging constantly post-show, it's kind of not worth it.  You don't want to be dragging a rack into your hotel room every night (or even onto the bus lounge) just to charge your batteries.

If you're dragging a mic pack and even stands, consider investing in a quick release system for the clips (Atlas LO2BE or OnStage QK2B).  Every second you can save to set up and/or clear the deck (which is why I suggested dropping from 2x 4-ch combiners to 1x 8ch which also means a single antenna) is seconds you'll get back that you may need elsewhere when the day doesn't go exactly as planned.

Build looms (this includes guitar pedal boards), have drop snakes, label and color code everything.  The name of the game is quick and easy to identify, deploy and strike.

One final note - make sure you write down every piece of gear, every cable, every serial number and description possible for everything you take/send out on the road.  We've all seen the horror story posts here.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 11:16:41 AM »

Thanks for the great info, Brian - this is extremely helpful, and (thankfully) I'm doing most of the things as suggested (looms, drop snakes, color coding, full serials/inventory). What's the saying about a blind squirrel finding a nut every so often? :D

The tour would be bus/truck for the vast majority. There *might* be a fly date or two, but it hasn't been confirmed. As it is, I've drastically downsized and lightened my rigs - I have 2 SKB flyracks that weigh-in under 70-lbs.

Good point on the rechargeable SBRC... it might make more sense to go AA on everything for this tour. And, those SBRC are shockingly heavy (and deep), so I could save some space and weight, and just buy a brick or two of AA batteries.

My reasoning for choosing 421 over 821 has to do with AC power. The 821 doesn't appear to supply power to the PSMs (from what I could see)... so, I'd have to deal with 8 of Shure's lovely AC bricks in my relatively small flyracks. Admittedly, I don't know a ton about the RF Venue or Professional Wireless units, so I may have to take a look into those.

Is there a demonstrative improvement with the P10R over the P9RA+? Just curious, as I've seen people recommend going P9T with P10R packs, and wondered what the advantage may be.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 11:40:42 AM by Steve Litscher »

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2019, 07:52:07 PM »

Is there a demonstrative improvement with the P10R over the P9RA+? Just curious, as I've seen people recommend going P9T with P10R packs, and wondered what the advantage may be.

Yes.  P10R is a True Diversity receiver with 2 separate physical antennas.  Basically totally eliminates the dropouts on stage that the P9R can suffer from even when you do everything right just doe to simple multipath interference.  I've used both.  A lot.  It makes a significant difference.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 03:07:55 PM »

When it comes to wireless product, I always suggest renting from a local vendor. This will ensure that you have the best wireless RF range for the area you are in. Never any fun having RF that you can't get a clean noise floor on because your band is the one that the TV station across the street is walking all over you.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

John P. Farrell

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

When it comes to wireless product, I always suggest renting from a local vendor. This will ensure that you have the best wireless RF range for the area you are in. Never any fun having RF that you can't get a clean noise floor on because your band is the one that the TV station across the street is walking all over you.

Renting a different RF rig every night is a nightmare IMO.  I don't want to troubleshoot a rig everyday, that leaves too much margin for error on the rental providers and no consistency at my gig.  I've not seen any major tour approach it that way either. 

Every continent is a different story, and major vendors will have you all set when you cross the ocean.  I usually have the foreign RF vendors pull my licenses for me too.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.