ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: North American Tour... rent? buy?  (Read 3558 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: North American Tour... rent? buy?
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2019, 06:02:25 PM »

I would hope that you are playing at least a few shows in an area before moving to another state or country. Nationwide and other vendors have delivery and shipping options that can suit most needs. If you are going to be in the So-Cal. area for instance and you will have 5 shows up the state and your WhiteSpace calc shows that the 400mhz. range is your best bet, you can rent from Nationwide and then ship it back when you finish that leg. Then as you go onto Colorado or something where 900mhz is better to use, then you can have another rental delivered to the first venue and do your thing.

Most of the companies like VER and Nationwide deliver the product with networking and all the fun stuff built into the rack. If you are an engineer worth your salt ( which most will by the time they get to touring ) you will have WWB set up with a saved profile ready to load up at the next gig. My experience is perhaps different, but I just know that I have been to more than a couple places over the years with owned RF that did not play well with the local Whitespace usage. Imagine doing a scan and having an RF noise floor that is setting right around -65 to -70 across your entire bandwidth!!!! And then to boot your Whitespace calc says you technically can't use any of the frequencies that you're on. Shure, Sennheiser, and all the other vendors have Whitespace lists specifically for the purpose of making sure you get the best RF you can have for your desired area. I have done shows by airports where RF stability has been impossible due to so much RF crap going on. I have done shows where the secret service just shows up and takes over the whole place without consulting first. Nothing like having things pretty well settled and then all of a sudden your taking hits like a fish in a barrel. There is no such thing as a one for all RF product that works 100% in all venues. Most touring acts at the A national level will have all the logistics figured out ahead of time and have things like which RF band to use in which venues planned into the tour. At least if I were the systems engineer I would be sure that was factored into my pull list.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2019, 09:46:49 PM »

I would consider rechargeable batteries, especially if this is a bus-and-truck tour.  You should have AC power on the bus and that bus should be on some kind of shore power during the day when you are doing load-in/sound check. 
I would purchase 2 sets of rechargeables and rotate them out every day.  Keep one set charging on the bus overnight. 

John P. Farrell

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »

There is no such thing as a one for all RF product that works 100% in all venues.

I've had great luck with Axient, but YMMV.  It'll tune across all the available bandwidth in the US and the closest to that statement being true.

Nothing ever works 100% of the time, agreed there!

I like to think I'm worth my salt, and have certainly toured with lots of A list acts that have people with many more grains than I do.  We all have carried RF in our trucks as waiting for show-stopping deliveries from VER (with potential for for non working set ups or incomplete pulls) isn't in the cards.  The racks are built and tested at Sound Image or Clair or SES and yes we have a plan going into all areas, however I still have yet to see any major production rent RF on a gig to gig basis, minus one offs, fly dates, and broadcast/corporate gigs.

Anyway, for the amount of gear the OP is asking about I doubt any of this comes into play.  I'd be a fan of renting for the entire run.  Also definitely can recommend the Shure rechargeables, They've been awesome over a few years in the Axient, ULXD, and PSM1000 rigs I've toured with.   I wanted to hate rechargeable batteries based on older nicad offerings but they have been rock solid.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2019, 04:26:22 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 24 queries.