ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Best lightweight mobile PA setup for my DJ wife who plays a range of music  (Read 4617 times)

Greg Siegel

I have done a lot of research across many forums, looked at lots of reviews and below are the results of my research. I would really appreciate your comments on my work to date and your advice to help me make a choice.

I need a lightweight setup for my wife who is a dance therapist, she plays to various rooms of 20-50 dancers, EDM as well as recorded performances so the solution needs to provide the awesome bass that people like to move their body to while at the same time have the sound quality to reproduce haunting vocals and quieter acoustic pieces. The problem is I can't audition where I am so very interested in your comments.

My research has led me to the following shortlist (all 2 tops sitting on 2 subs):

EV ZXA1 with matching 12" subs (8.6kg & 20.9kg, heard these in action in a room of 100 dancers, faultless performance. Getting old so no DSP or variety in inputs)
EV ELX200-10P tops with ELX200-12SP 12" subs (13.5kg & 19kg, how do these compare to ZXA1?)
RCF ART 708A MK4 and 12" SUB 702-AS II (10.4kg and 19kg)
RCF EVOX 8 x2 (23.8kg total. Also the EVOX J8 is lighter again and cheaper, but how does it sound compared to the wooden boxes in the EVOX 8?)

Also possible solutions but the subs are probably too heavy for her getting in and out of the car on her own:

Yamaha DXR8 or 10 tops (12.8kg and 13.9kg) but the pair of DXS12mkII subs (30kg)
ELX200-10P tops (13.5kg) with 18"  ELX20-18SP sub (29kg) or
QSC K8.2 (12.2kg) with KS112 subs (28kg on castors).

I think when she sees a 30kg sub she will say no, but who knows? The 14.5kg QSC K10.2 tops were too heavy for her. She will probably fall in love with the weight and ease of setup of the EVOX 8.

I am thinking that I should not mix and match tops with subs, instead stick to the pairings that are designed to go together. There are so many good systems at this weight, we really are spoilt for choice. Thanks in advance for your help.

Tracy Garner

A lot of DJs that have different size setups to choose from seem to like the RCF for the smaller lightweight events. These are the same guys who tend to use QSC K12/KW181.

David Allred

I need a lightweight setup for my wife who is a dance therapist, she plays to various rooms of 20-50 dancers, EDM as well as recorded performances so the solution needs to provide the awesome bass that people like to move their body to while at the same time have the sound quality to reproduce haunting vocals and quieter acoustic pieces.

The number of dancer is really not important for you.  The size of the room is.  Considering that the speakers will be set up where the dancers are, the height of the room is probably most important for "awesome bass".  What is the largest typical room?

Greg Siegel

The number of dancer is really not important for you.  The size of the room is.  Considering that the speakers will be set up where the dancers are, the height of the room is probably most important for "awesome bass".  What is the largest typical room?

Only small rooms, big enough to fit the 20-50ppl with room to move (not dancing on the spot) eg 100-300sqm (1,000-3,000 sq feet). The ceilings won't be low, some quite high, that spaciousness overhead is good to dance in. Mostly wooden floors, very occasionally carpet.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail

Regarding the RCF Evox 8 vs J8, the J8 price is hard to beat, and you don't get twice the performance out of the wood box. If you're going to take care of them, I'd say save the money.

Either way, it's really tough to beat the form factor and convenience for gigs of the size you've mentioned.

If you need a mixer, consider grabbing a JMIX8 and a J8 and you'll save a bunch of labor at every gig.

Another thing to consider if you like EV is the EVOLVE 50, which is similar to the EVOX line.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Greg Siegel

Another thing to consider if you like EV is the EVOLVE 50, which is similar to the EVOX line.

Thanks for your advice, it inspires confidence. Where have people landed on the EVOX 8 vs EVOLVE 50 debate?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail

One burns hotter, the other burns longer. . .I kid.

Both sound fine, one client of mine has owned both and prefers the sound of EV. He prefers the form factor of the Evox, for transport, but says the EVOLVE sounds slightly better (he's 78 and has hearing aids). the EVOLVE also has phantom power and two inputs which happens to be a better fit for what he does (djembe and vox). EVOLVE also has bluetooth in, which is a consideration for rentals.

I've heard both, but not side by side. I'm probably going to buy my client's EVOLVE, just because I can use it and the price is right. I'm also buying some EVOX J8's because you can't beat the price and I can do a lot of rental business without having to haul 18" subs around.

Another consideration, for me, is that the EVOLVE has a fancy extruded aluminum pole with integrated wiring, whereas the EVOX has a normal 35mm pole with a SpeakON cable. I prefer the idea of owning something I can repair myself, as opposed to something that may go down if it takes a good whack.

I'm a dealer for both EV and RCF.

On the service end, RCF is miles ahead of EV. It's a smaller company and someone picks up the phone when you need help. Warranty issues get resolved immediately. EV is a tiny division of Bosch and getting warranty service or parts has proved frustrating.

Thanks for your advice, it inspires confidence. Where have people landed on the EVOX 8 vs EVOLVE 50 debate?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

veditor78

I've heard the new and old RCF column systems and the EV Evolve 50. My preference is the EV. Honestly, either will do just fine for your situation.
Josh Rawls

Greg Siegel

Thanks, everyone, I really appreciate your advice. If I could click "like" on all your posts I would.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.