ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M32/Behringer X32 DL16 Clipping issue Help please!  (Read 2461 times)

Jacob Farley

• Jacob
Midas M32/Behringer X32 DL16 Clipping issue Help please!
« on: June 13, 2019, 11:38:53 PM »

Hi, I run sound at a church. I've got fairly extensive experience with sound (about 16 years, plus formal education and training under some god like front of house engineers who are way out of my league). Anyways, a while back I designed and installed a custom drum cage. I'm running ten mics in it. It's more of a studio we use for live use drums as that's the only way for it to work in the space. Anyway, the mics run from the cage, to a snake, to a stagebox, to a DL16 to the board over Cat 6. The DL16 is the second in a linked pair. 8 of the 10 drum channels run through it. I got it set up, got them linked and working perfectly back in August. Then about 2 months ago All of the 8 plugged into the second DL16 started clipping out all the time. They were presenting hugely boosted signals over previous weeks. At the board I tried dropping gain levels down to -12 and I'm still getting clipping. However, the overheads, which are on the other DL16 are not clipping. The mics that are are mostly cheap SM57 knockoffs, my initial thought was it was the mics, but I also have an Audix d6 in there and it's doing the same thing, swapping one of the knockoffs for another of the same I use as a vocal mic produced the same problem on the snare but not at the vocal channel. So I'm quite certain the issue has something to do with the power hitting the channels at the DL16 but I have little experience with that specific stagebox. Any help would be appreciated!

Roland Clarke

Re: Midas M32/Behringer X32 DL16 Clipping issue Help please!
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 07:57:04 AM »

Hi, I run sound at a church. I've got fairly extensive experience with sound (about 16 years, plus formal education and training under some god like front of house engineers who are way out of my league). Anyways, a while back I designed and installed a custom drum cage. I'm running ten mics in it. It's more of a studio we use for live use drums as that's the only way for it to work in the space. Anyway, the mics run from the cage, to a snake, to a stagebox, to a DL16 to the board over Cat 6. The DL16 is the second in a linked pair. 8 of the 10 drum channels run through it. I got it set up, got them linked and working perfectly back in August. Then about 2 months ago All of the 8 plugged into the second DL16 started clipping out all the time. They were presenting hugely boosted signals over previous weeks. At the board I tried dropping gain levels down to -12 and I'm still getting clipping. However, the overheads, which are on the other DL16 are not clipping. The mics that are are mostly cheap SM57 knockoffs, my initial thought was it was the mics, but I also have an Audix d6 in there and it's doing the same thing, swapping one of the knockoffs for another of the same I use as a vocal mic produced the same problem on the snare but not at the vocal channel. So I'm quite certain the issue has something to do with the power hitting the channels at the DL16 but I have little experience with that specific stagebox. Any help would be appreciated!

I suspect that it’s the routing.  You are turning down the digital gains, not the mic pres that are being overloaded, hence your distortion.  I can’t off the top of my head remember which way it has to be but you need to check your aes 50 routing and your home screen.  Take a look on YouTube.  Good luck! 😁

Scott Olewiler

• Trust me, it will be loud enough.
    • 4th Street Sound
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »

Hopefully you've already tried rebooting it, as I have had weird stagebox issues on my S16s where a reboot did the trick. If that doesn't fix it, try checking the DL16 configuration setting. Sounds like it is set to have the HA control at the stagebox instead of at the console. Configuration should be either 1, 2 or 3 depending what outputs you need going to the DL16.
We're here to deliver the sound equipment. Who has the check?

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2019, 08:38:15 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 25 queries.