ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: App crashes on pc when multiple apps use DVS simultaneously.  (Read 2095 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

I’ve got a FOH pc running smaart 8 and reaper (amongst other things).  Audio source for both programs is DVS.  I’m finding that when smaart is running if I fire up reaper smaart will crash.  Re-opening it and it seems to work fine.  Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?

This seems to be specific to sharing the DVS audio source as it doesn’t happen if smaart uses a usb interface.

Win7x64 fully patched with latest versions of all software.  Pc was recently rebuilt.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: App crashes on pc when multiple apps use DVS simultaneously.
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2019, 08:39:19 PM »

I’ve got a FOH pc running smaart 8 and reaper (amongst other things).  Audio source for both programs is DVS.  I’m finding that when smaart is running if I fire up reaper smaart will crash.  Re-opening it and it seems to work fine.  Anyone have any idea what might be causing this and how to fix it?

This seems to be specific to sharing the DVS audio source as it doesn’t happen if smaart uses a usb interface.

Are you using DVS as an ASIO device or a WDM device?

-Russ

John L Nobile

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2019, 10:43:53 PM »

Check your event logs. May give you an answer.

Have you seen this blurb?
https://dev.audinate.com/GA/dvs/userguide/webhelp/content/choosing_dvs_as_your_audio_interface_-_windows.htm

Do you have enough RAM to run both apps properly? You didn't mention any computer specs. I have no clue as to what recently rebuilt means.

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2019, 02:06:19 AM »

ASIO and WDM are both single client services. You can't run multiple pieces of software at the same time using either of them on Windows. This is different than on Mac OS which supports multi client Core Audio devices.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Ade Stuart

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2019, 10:35:11 AM »

ASIO and WDM are both single client services. You can't run multiple pieces of software at the same time using either of them on Windows. This is different than on Mac OS which supports multi client Core Audio devices.

ASIO is normally single client but I've used DVS in WDM mode with multiple clients since the early days of DVS.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2019, 10:01:38 PM »

You can't run multiple pieces of software at the same time using either of them on Windows.

There are some devices that have multi-client ASIO drivers (although DVS is not one of them).

For what it's worth, I (and, it appears, the OP) have found that certain pieces of software will use ASIO drivers in such a way as to not flag them as in use, so you can use them simultaneously in a couple different programs. Starting order is important in these cases though (which is, I'm guessing, what the OP is running into).

Of course, using a non-multi-client ASIO driver in more than one piece of software at a time isn't a supported configuration, even if it works. One possible work-around, though, is to use a device's ASIO driver with one piece of software and the WDM driver with the other. This may or may not be a supported configuration, either, but it should be more stable than trying to share an ASIO driver.

-Russ

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2019, 10:55:49 PM »

The OP could try ASIO-for-All and see if that will be able to give him the multiple ASIO uses he desires for his DVS.  I think it's still free to use. 

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2019, 12:30:19 AM »

There are some devices that have multi-client ASIO drivers (although DVS is not one of them).
On Windows 10. Do those same drivers still work on Win 7 (which Erik is using)? It was my understanding that that capability was added in Win 10 with the Creator's update.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »

On Windows 10. Do those same drivers still work on Win 7 (which Erik is using)? It was my understanding that that capability was added in Win 10 with the Creator's update.

ASIO is third-party to Windows, bypassing the Windows audio stack entirely (almost all device drivers that support ASIO will also support WDM, which is why they still shows up in the Windows audio configuration, often with reduced capabilities). I'm fairly certain that ASIO multi-client support dates back at least far enough to see Windows 7 support, but most manufacturers (including reputable ones like Roland and Audinate) didn't bother and released only single-client drivers. I want to say some RME and Focusrite devices have multi-client ASIO drivers.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 04:51:07 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.