ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audible Difference? Inside An ABX Console Test  (Read 1093 times)

M. Erik Matlock

• Global Moderator
  • Senior Editor Live Sound International/ProSoundWeb
    • M. Erik Matlock on PSW
Audible Difference? Inside An ABX Console Test
« on: June 11, 2019, 09:26:39 AM »

Audible Difference? Inside An ABX Console Test
Blindly comparing the input stages and A/D converters of two consoles through Dante to see if either actually sounds better.
By John Huntington • June 11, 2019

I once overheard students talking about a gig that they’d recently done, saying such and such console’s microphone preamp sounded so much better than one in another console. As a big believer in evidence-based audio judgement, I said, “Why don’t you do a double-blind test of the consoles and find out for sure?”

The schedule didn’t work out for those students but when BaiLin He was looking for ideas for his senior “culmination” project I suggested this topic and he was very interested. BaiLin came from China when he was 10, got interested in sound in his church, and eventually found our Entertainment Technology program at City Tech; he took on this project with great enthusiasm.

To make the project manageable, we limited comparisons only to the input stages and the A/D converters of two consoles and used Audinate Dante networking out to avoid D/A conversions. One of the consoles is what use regularly in our program – let’s call it “Console Y.”

Continue reading here: https://www.prosoundweb.com/channels/av/audible-difference-inside-an-abx-console-test/
Train the next generation. Success without a successor is ultimately failure. wywu.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 21 queries.