ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Keyboard Setup Suggestions  (Read 2488 times)

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
Re: Keyboard Setup Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2019, 04:07:01 AM »

What about running the bass sounds through a bass amp simulator? - I know you can get a Fender Bassman pedal, and I bet others are available.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

David Winners

• Bryan, OH
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2019, 09:03:03 AM »

If I were to do this, and I wanted to be able to shape the bass tone separately from the keyboard, I would use a Line 6 Helix product. It would offer tremendous flexibility and programming options, great bass sound, built in expression pedals on the larger models, independent processing paths for the bass and keyboard inputs,

I would then use either a single powered speaker or an 8 over a small sub depending on how much volume I needed.

This wouldn't be cheap, but it would be incredibly powerful. The larger Helix units have a full midi commander that could do anything on the keyboards. It would take some setting up, but once it was dialed in, it would be very easy to set up and operate.

Tracy Garner

« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2019, 09:32:31 AM »

I hear many talking about a 12" but I would go with a 15" powered if they are also running keyboard bass. The weight difference isnt much but it does get you to down to those bass frequencies the keyboardist is probably looking for.

Matthias McCready

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

Your thoughts/suggestions?

Run a laptop, with Ableton and software instruments (Trillian, KOMPLETE, Omnisphere, etc etc etc) these almost always sound better than native keyboard patches in my experience. Using a DAW she can use plugins. Skip the pedal board. Most any keyboard will have midi (and thus can work as control for the computer). There are lots of cool gig friendly add ons such as Korg Nano controllers.

Next a small interface. If she needs something small and gig worthy I suggest a Radial USB-PRO, which offers two channels, should she need more than two channels there are other options, although it should be noted most cheap interfaces break fairly quickly after being tossed around a backpack for several gigs.

Finally, get a small pro audio speaker.

--

A note on bass amplifiers. I don't play bass a whole anymore however if I were not using IEM's I would rather use a pro audio speaker rather than a bass amp. With some judicious processing, it will sound as good or better, and it is lighter and more reliable. As far as speaker size you are probably fine with a 12". My 15" Ampeg doesn't go below 60-70hz! It is simply doing a lot of harmonics. Having used an SRX812P as a "bass amp" a few times it handles bass synthesizers and 5 string bass with more authority than most bass amps I have used.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2019, 07:06:20 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.