ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Baseball infield gak  (Read 579 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Baseball infield gak
« on: June 10, 2019, 07:18:35 am »

I provided the rig for a high school graduation this past Friday evening.
All went well; sound/coverage-wise....
however
some of my cables / speakers got soiled when used in the infield with that brown/reddish dirt/dust/clay...(or whatever that infield substance is made of) during load-out.

Cleaning my cables was easy, however, my two front-fill cabs got pretty dirty on one side.

The front fill cabs are a painted version (rough texture).  I used a hard-bristle brush to remove most of the dust but there still seems to be some.  I also vacuumed the areas (with a brush attachment) but the dust is still noticeable.

The dirt seems to have "settled in" as the cabs were wet with dew during load out.

Water/Simple Green is next.

Any suggestions as to removing the gak?
(I have in my notes for next year's gig to put something under the cabs..)

John Halliburton

• White pointy beard, knows zip...about chicken.
Re: Baseball infield gak
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2019, 07:55:12 am »

I provided the rig for a high school graduation this past Friday evening.
All went well; sound/coverage-wise....
however
some of my cables / speakers got soiled when used in the infield with that brown/reddish dirt/dust/clay...(or whatever that infield substance is made of) during load-out.

Cleaning my cables was easy, however, my two front-fill cabs got pretty dirty on one side.

The front fill cabs are a painted version (rough texture).  I used a hard-bristle brush to remove most of the dust but there still seems to be some.  I also vacuumed the areas (with a brush attachment) but the dust is still noticeable.

The dirt seems to have "settled in" as the cabs were wet with dew during load out.

Water/Simple Green is next.

Any suggestions as to removing the gak?
(I have in my notes for next year's gig to put something under the cabs..)

It's often a very serious dirt too, as most of the MLB fields use dirt from one area near Slippery Rock, PA nowadays.  It's generally a mix of clay, sand, and silt.  I suspect the clay portion has cured out of the mix into the nooks and crannies on your cabinet finish.

Hopefully the soapy water will loosen it up.

Best regards,

John

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2019, 07:22:20 am »

Ah yes, the dreaded baseball infield...  While not as painful as sand in my opinion, this is a close second.  Try the soapy water but be careful not to rub the clay around too much - it stains.  Naturally, rain makes these types of gigs worse as the mud is really slippery and will get on just about everything.  While I've been lucky to generally avoid issues with my sound and light equipment on infield clay, your predicament reminds me of all the pyro jobs I've shot off baseball infields...  Kind of like sand, you'll still find bits of it here and there for years!  Good luck!

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2019, 07:33:41 am »

Years ago I turned down a job at a city park where they were planing to set  the bands up directly on a baseball infield. Not worth the aftermath.

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2019, 11:25:55 am »

Laundry detergent seems to do a good job of getting it out of the kidís uniforms. Iíd give that a try. Iíve used Tide and a brush to remove motor oil stains from concrete.

David Allred

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:48:34 pm »

Laundry detergent seems to do a good job of getting it out of the kidís uniforms. Iíd give that a try. Iíve used Tide and a brush to remove motor oil stains from concrete.

An air brush would be perfect if you could get enough pressure.  The old rubber tipped air nozzle and an adjustable syphon draw with a cleaning solution would work great (high air pressure with low media volume).

ProSoundWeb Community

¬ę Reply #5 on: June 12, 2019, 03:48:34 pm ¬Ľ

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.099 seconds with 24 queries.