ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator suggestions  (Read 14936 times)

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: Generator suggestions
« Reply #30 on: June 26, 2019, 05:13:46 PM »

Debbie, I find this surprising. A properly functioning big diesel should provide about the cleanest power you can get since there aren't any other non-linear loads to contaminate the power as there are with the line. I bet the voltage regulator was out of adjustment or kaput, the frequency was way off, or there was some ground/neutral/God-knows-what wiring issue causing the problem. Did they rent you the same funky generator both times? I once rented a big diesel from Cresco (to run a welder, not sound equipment) and it was pretty out of whack voltage-and frequency-wise. --Frank

2 different events and 2 different gennies.
The first time I put it down to something being a bit off - like what you refer to or similar but when it happened again it made me think that the big diesel gennies just don't offer as clean power as an inverter.
Like I said the system ran with no issues but I simply could not get the UPS to play ball. The same UPS has NEVER had any other issues using mains or inverters.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #31 on: June 26, 2019, 05:44:45 PM »

The same UPS has NEVER had any other issues using mains or inverters.
Was the same power distribution system used for the two different events?

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #32 on: June 26, 2019, 06:05:58 PM »

Was the same power distribution system used for the two different events?

It was a while ago so I don't really remember the details. I was just left with a bad taste in my mouth both times. I rarely have to use anyone elses generators but my own so it doesn't happen very often.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Guilford

« Reply #33 on: June 26, 2019, 11:57:43 PM »

Guys - next step- suggest to me a basic sister solution. I need a California style 50a/240v inlet broken down to 4x 15a 120v circuits.

Racked or standalone box. 

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2019, 01:27:01 AM »

Guys - next step- suggest to me a basic sister solution. I need a California style 50a/240v inlet broken down to 4x 15a 120v circuits.

Racked or standalone box.

LEX and Motion Labs offer UL or ETL listed devices in both flavors, with 20A breakers on the circuits.  Total of six breakers (three per hot leg).   There are others, too, but if the device is not UL or ETL listed, buyer beware. 

CEP makes stand-alone boxes that are widely used in the construction industry in at least two levels of physical protection.  The "roll cage"'version costs more, but is harder to accidently crush.  Construction grade boxes are typically GFCI protected.

I have a 3U rackmount LEX unit in a 3U shockmount rack.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2019, 11:16:21 AM »

CEP makes stand-alone boxes that are widely used in the construction industry in at least two levels of physical protection.  The "roll cage"'version costs more, but is harder to accidently crush.  Construction grade boxes are typically GFCI protected.

And, while kind of big and clunky, the construction "spider boxes" have the advantage of being OK to use outdoors where it might rain since the receptacles have little eves over them. (I think they have a 3R rating.) Not so for rack-mount distros. If I made a spider box I would call it the NEMAtoad. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2019, 02:33:11 PM »

The first time I put it down to something being a bit off - like what you refer to or similar but when it happened again it made me think that the big diesel gennies just don't offer as clean power as an inverter.
Like I said the system ran with no issues but I simply could not get the UPS to play ball. The same UPS has NEVER had any other issues using mains or inverters.

The issue is for a given UPS, what does it treat as a power fault and then switch to batteries?

Many units consider a small fluctuation of frequency to be a fault. After all, these are mostly consumer grade units designed for use in a residence where the frequence rarely varies.

Generally, I find that at the level of equipment most weekend warriors use, nothing cares about line frequency except the UPS.

If I have a generator under my control, I don’t need a UPS. I do use them with grid power where I can’t see my power source.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jim Layton

« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2019, 03:27:46 PM »

I had similar XTi 4K issues when connected to a spider box, powered by a Wacker tow-behind generator. As soon as the band went on, the fault lights lit and output dropped. It was my first outdoor/gen show. I had no idea what was going on. People here suggested it may have been a problem the gen, but now I think it was the XTi amps. I used the same rig on a different generator and zero problems. I now use XTi 6Ks, which are supposed to be similar to the old iTechs. I have not used them with a gen and band situation. Sorry to hijack the post but that experience has always been a curiosity.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:30:11 PM by Jim Layton »
Between Allentown & Philadelphia

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2019, 11:50:53 PM »

I find that too many times a too small generator is used. They figure they only use 3000 watts so a 3500 watt unit should work when they really need a much larger one to deal with the dynamic load.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »

The issue is for a given UPS, what does it treat as a power fault and then switch to batteries?

Many units consider a small fluctuation of frequency to be a fault. After all, these are mostly consumer grade units designed for use in a residence where the frequence rarely varies.

Generally, I find that at the level of equipment most weekend warriors use, nothing cares about line frequency except the UPS.

If I have a generator under my control, I don’t need a UPS. I do use them with grid power where I can’t see my power source.

This might have been the case Rob - simply small fluctuation in frequency. The UPS was switching back and forth very quickly (on both occasions) so whatever it was was happening constantly. I have never witnessed this happen or any switchover to battery on my UPS in any other situation other than complete power failure.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #39 on: June 28, 2019, 10:40:01 AM »

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 24 queries.