ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator suggestions  (Read 14953 times)

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
Re: Generator suggestions
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2019, 02:21:51 PM »

A synchronous generator provides one output cycle per pole-pair per revolution. So for 60 Hz output a 2 pole machine would need to turn 3600 RPM, a 4 pole machine 1800 RPM, a 6 pole machine 1200 RPM, and so forth.

The same relationship roughly holds for conventional induction motors. The difference is that they are not synchronous but run at a "slip speed" so that the output speed is always somewhat less than the synchronous speed (as determined from the input frequency and the number of poles), and depends on the load torque.

In the modern world with cheap and amazing power electronics all this matters a lot less. A great thing for windmills, small engine-driven generators, electric vehicles, and variable speed drives of all sorts.

--Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Steven Cohen

« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2019, 02:31:31 PM »

Frank,

Your statement of
"In the modern world with cheap and amazing power electronics all this matters a lot less" reminds me of a few weeks ago when I carried down an Itech 4 X 3500hd under one of my arms from a catwalk. I still had my other arm free to hold on to the stair rail.

A synchronous generator provides one output cycle per pole-pair per revolution. So for 60 Hz output a 2 pole machine would need to turn 3600 RPM, a 4 pole machine 1800 RPM, a 6 pole machine 1200 RPM, and so forth.

The same relationship roughly holds for conventional induction motors. The difference is that they are not synchronous but run at a "slip speed" so that the output speed is always somewhat less than the synchronous speed (as determined from the input frequency and the number of poles), and depends on the load torque.

In the modern world with cheap and amazing power electronics all this matters a lot less. A great thing for windmills, small engine-driven generators, electric vehicles, and variable speed drives of all sorts.

--Frank

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »

To the OP, why do you want an inverter unit?
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Guilford

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2019, 04:03:22 PM »

To the OP, why do you want an inverter unit?

They’re quieter. They came highly recommended. I’ve been using an inverter for 5 years already and always exceptionally happy with it.  Allows me to run pretty much anything I’ll ever need to with piece of mind.

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2019, 05:24:06 PM »

They’re quieter. They came highly recommended. I’ve been using an inverter for 5 years already and always exceptionally happy with it.  Allows me to run pretty much anything I’ll ever need to with piece of mind.

MQ generators are also quiet. The better ones are so quiet you can’t hear them 10’ away.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2019, 07:49:42 PM »

MQ generators are also quiet. The better ones are so quiet you can’t hear them 10’ away.

Agree Rob.  We, like everyone rent a ton of the Honda's and they are great.  The MQ's are basically babies of their big boy units.  They are even more robust, quieter and I know it's a small point but you trailer that bad boy up and the client sees $150 value.  The Honda looks like what everyone else has.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 08:36:20 PM »

Agree Rob.  We, like everyone rent a ton of the Honda's and they are great.  The MQ's are basically babies of their big boy units.  They are even more robust, quieter and I know it's a small point but you trailer that bad boy up and the client sees $150 value.  The Honda looks like what everyone else has.

$150?  Too cheap.  I get $400-500 on a generator when I rent it out!

Dave Guilford

« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 08:45:45 PM »

I know of MultiQuip of course.  And Wacker Neuson makes their G series.  Who else mfg similar ones?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 10:49:40 PM »

$150?  Too cheap.  I get $400-500 on a generator when I rent it out!

You get $400 for a 7kva generator?  Geez I get a 70 delivered for $250

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Dave Guilford

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »

No. Local sunbelt / United Rental’s type places get me a 15 for $250 when I pick up and drop off.  I charge clients $400-500

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2019, 02:10:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 24 queries.