ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small (ish) Powered Boxes Advice  (Read 4393 times)

Luke Geis

• Owner of Endever Music Production's
Re: Small (ish) Powered Boxes Advice
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2020, 10:13:32 PM »

I have an octet of RCF NX-12SMA's which sound really good as would be expected. I know that the NX series tops/mains design boxes use a much more serious HF compression driver than the 12SMA does. That being said, if the 12SMA sounds as good as it does pulling double duty, I can't see any reason why the others in the series would disappoint.

I have JBL SRX800 series mains that I use and I think that they are still the cabinet to beat even today. The price, performance, and features it has are still punching pretty hard. Compared to the 12SMA's it has a similar neutral sound with a little more oomph and bottom end extension. I would go RCF if you could swing it, but you can save a bit of coin with the JBL SRX 800 stuff and not be disappointed either.
I don't understand how you can't hear yourself

Matt Greiner

« Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 12:23:47 AM »

I have a bunch of DSR112's, which I use primarily for monitors and corporate SOS/talking head gigs.  On occasion, they have been used for small, indoor shows as FOH. (150-200 people in a smaller bar.)  I pair them with a RCF 8003 on each side with a K&M telescoping sub pole to get them up above the crowd.  I've been satisfied with them in this setting for the most part, although they will definitely run out of gas before the subs do.  I wouldn't want to use them as FOH for a band that has much stage volume, they wouldn't keep up.  I would stay away from them, based on your usage.

I've been thinking about getting some NX45-A's or even the HDM45-A's, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.  I'm a little worried about the HDM not being a wooden enclosure.

At your price point (google had the USD conversion at approximately $850-$975 per cabinet), the last time I had them priced out, the NX45's are going to be more than your budget will allow.  It's been almost 2 years since I last priced them out, so they may have come down in price.  I agree with Luke, if you can stretch the budget to make the RCF's work, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #12 on: December 24, 2020, 10:15:52 AM »

If you want to go with a plastic box the RCF ART 700 series is hard to beat.

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2020, 03:17:26 PM »

I don't think you will get very much smaller or lighter tops than the TT22A that would deliver near the performance. If the 902 sub is adequate for the smaller gigs just use it and the TT22As together and leave the KV2 at home.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2020, 10:21:46 PM »

I don't think you will get very much smaller or lighter tops than the TT22A that would deliver near the performance. If the 902 sub is adequate for the smaller gigs just use it and the TT22As together and leave the KV2 at home.

Agreed, that is already a physically very small system for a band. No reason to spend more.
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2020, 07:34:43 AM »

Agree, though the TT22A are still not as light/compact as could be achieved, albeit at quite a cost.

With cost no object, RCF TT-08A over TTS 12-A was an awesome compact and brilliant sounding system.  While they still do a TT-08, I think they discontinued the 12" TT sub years ago.

Then again, with cost no object, there are plenty of other compact options that could deliver...

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #16 on: December 25, 2020, 04:22:10 PM »

All that said, if you are mainly looking for opinion about the NX10 I should mention that I have a pair of the earlier series NXM10s from 2012 that sound great and easily match the performance of most 12" tops when used with appropriate subs. The drivers seem similar to what is provided in the current NX10A-II.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Phil Hatton

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2020, 05:01:48 PM »

Agree, though the TT22A are still not as light/compact as could be achieved, albeit at quite a cost.

With cost no object, RCF TT-08A over TTS 12-A was an awesome compact and brilliant sounding system.  While they still do a TT-08, I think they discontinued the 12" TT sub years ago.

Then again, with cost no object, there are plenty of other compact options that could deliver...

I did think about the tt08’s but I’m just not sure they’ll have enough steam to keep up with a loud drummer.

Sean Anderson

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2020, 12:58:08 AM »

I picked up some nx32a over the fall to use as monitors. I demoed them next to nx10a-ii. They nx32 sound much more coherent, like my nx45s but are much smaller than the 45s. They are still kinda heavyish. I have used them a half dozen times as mains in the application you are asking about with no problems. The nx32s are pretty fantastic monitors. 

I would think about what would work as a really good wedge or sidefill for when you use the TT's as mains.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

Since Yamaha DSR and DZR came up, I'll chime in with my experience.  We've had a 10-pack of DSR112s that have been rock-solid performers for many years, as mains for portable DJ Rigs (along with DSR118W sub) and as monitors with a larger system.  They sound great and have been super reliable.  I love that they are SIMPLE speakers, with few buttons and knobs and settings to complicate basic setup.

The DZR12 is a much more sophisticated beast.  Subjective Audio quality is incrementally better than the already-good DSR, but the big improvements are in ergonomics and aesthetics (better handles, covers, grilles.) and more importantly, on-board DSP.  For the right user, the DSP could eliminate the need for a system processor.  But that's a far more complex setup.  The new DXS18XLF sub absolutely smokes the DSR118W.  For my DJ partner, portability is key, so we've just ordered a pair of DZR10s and DXS15XLR (10" / 15") for portable DJ use.  I have no doubt it will be excellent.

* One caveat is that the first batch of DZR12s we received had faulty and unreliable Woofers.  I've commented on this issue here before, in this thread: https://forums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,172994.0/topicseen.html

We sorted that out and got spares from Yamaha under warranty.

The DZR is not really a generational upgrade to DSR, it's a different class of speaker.   The OP indicated he's looking for 10's, and while I haven't heard the DZR10 yet, my experience with the 12 suggests it'll be a solid performer.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2020, 03:19:39 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.