ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator suggestions  (Read 14937 times)

Dave Guilford

Generator suggestions
« on: June 09, 2019, 05:35:58 PM »

For years I’ve been renting 15-20kVa generators. Tow-behind type for outdoor concert series.  They use the 50amp California connectors to a spider box.  I know my rig works on 50amps. I suspect less, but I always try to get as much power allocated to me as possible.

That said/ I’ve been generator shopping for years.  Tow behind style would be dynamite but I’m at the level where I’m ready to drop $15k on a generator.

I want inverter of course.  And ideally I’d like to get up to 50+ amps at 120v

I’ve seen a bunch of the smaller Home Depot type where you can link them for extra power.  Bonus points is that means 2 smaller ones for gigs that need them. Not often, but nice peace of mind.

Suggestions??

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: Generator suggestions
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 07:02:04 PM »

For years I’ve been renting 15-20kVa generators. Tow-behind type for outdoor concert series.  They use the 50amp California connectors to a spider box.  I know my rig works on 50amps. I suspect less, but I always try to get as much power allocated to me as possible.

That said/ I’ve been generator shopping for years.  Tow behind style would be dynamite but I’m at the level where I’m ready to drop $15k on a generator.

I’ve seen a bunch of the smaller Home Depot type where you can link them for extra power.  Bonus points is that means 2 smaller ones for gigs that need them. Not often, but nice peace of mind.

Suggestions??

I own a Honda eu3000is inverter generator.  According to the specs it puts out 23 amps.
I have done local outdoor rock shows with it powering a 3-way rig, four monitors, and back line.

I have the parallel cables to pair it with another similar unit (which my local Home Depot rents for $50.00 per day).

I know that you are looking for 50+ amps but a couple of the above units in parallel (46 amps) should power a sizable show.

Others will chime in with what they use...

btw: I also use my unit to power my home (via a ProTran switch panel) during storm outages.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2019, 12:28:21 AM »

I own a Honda eu3000is inverter generator.  According to the specs it puts out 23 amps.
I have done local outdoor rock shows with it powering a 3-way rig, four monitors, and back line.

I have the parallel cables to pair it with another similar unit (which my local Home Depot rents for $50.00 per day).

I know that you are looking for 50+ amps but a couple of the above units in parallel (46 amps) should power a sizable show.

Others will chime in with what they use...

btw: I also use my unit to power my home (via a ProTran switch panel) during storm outages.

For 1/2 that you can get an MQ Power Whisperwatt 7Kva.  For years I thought the Honda was the top of the line, while not an inverter generator this is a baby version of the Whisperwatt units you see at all sorts of outdoor production.  The flywheel is sized right and the diesel engine will run forever.

DA7000SSA2 are about 6500 delivered to your door.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Steven Cohen

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2019, 09:30:06 AM »

David,

Honda has their new EU7000i inverter generator. Its the most powerful consumer inverter generator, it does 120/240, and the only one that uses fuel injection, which I ASSume will have less fuel clogging issues and perhaps better fuel economy. Here is a link,

https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu7000is.

Scott's idea of the MQ Power Whisperwatt 7Kva is a good one. If I had it to do all over again I would consider a 1500 RPM, water cooled diesel.

Suggestions??

Dave Guilford

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2019, 10:28:28 AM »

Examples of a 1500rmp water cooled Deisel ?

Steven Cohen

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2019, 10:48:10 AM »

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2019, 11:15:43 AM »

I would recommend TWO of the Honda eu7000 and link if you really, really need that much power. I own a eu6500 (the older model) and it kicks ass. Bought mine used for $2600, new I think they’re about $4k and with two you’d be modular for times you don’t need it all. I don’t know your rig but I bet it uses less power than you think.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2019, 12:22:30 PM »

I would recommend TWO of the Honda eu7000 and link if you really, really need that much power. I own a eu6500 (the older model) and it kicks ass. Bought mine used for $2600, new I think they’re about $4k and with two you’d be modular for times you don’t need it all. I don’t know your rig but I bet it uses less power than you think.

+1

I can't count the number of times I rented the EU7000i for events, and it was always just an incredible performer.

Largest rig I ever ran on it consisted of:

4x JTR Captivator C218Pro subs
2x RCF TTL6-A mains
6x Yamaha DSR112 for monitors
Full backline
Full FOH gear (C3500, CDM32, Lake LM44, Shure wireless, etc)
20x Blizzard Hotbox
4x Blizzard G-Streak
4x Blizzard Blade RGBW
1x Radiance Hazer

No issues at all, and they're so quiet... They are also incredibly fuel efficient. We'd fill them once a day for most gigs. If your gear is relatively new/young, it's far more efficient than we all think.

I remember running 4x JTR Orbit Shifters on a PLD4.5 at what felt like a punishing volume, and the PLD4.5 showed it was pulling 5-5.5 amps.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 12:48:29 PM »

Sorry, 1800 rpm is the standard, not 1500 rpm, although I found 1 1500 RPM. Here are a few examples, but there are many more.

Sorry, it depends on whether you want 50 Hz or 60 Hz. For a synchronous-machine (not inverter) generator there is a fixed relationship between the rotational velocity, number of poles, and the output frequency. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Steven Cohen

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »

Thanks Frank for the explanation. I had read something similar to your description while I was researching generators before I purchased an inverter type but I had forgotten.

Sorry, it depends on whether you want 50 Hz or 60 Hz. For a synchronous-machine (not inverter) generator there is a fixed relationship between the rotational velocity, number of poles, and the output frequency. --Frank

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 01:06:48 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 24 queries.