ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Replace DXR15's with 8"/10" tops over 12" subs or upgrade DXR15's around £2000?  (Read 3527 times)

Richard Penrose

Hi,

As many of you will know I have been using a pair of Yamaha DXR15's over QSC KW181 subs for the past few years. On smaller gigs I use the DXR15's by themselves and I've always been impressed with the bass response of these speakers when running bass and kick drum through them.
I am now looking to move away from doing bigger gigs and am unlikely to need the KW181's in the future which means I'll just be using the DXR15's by themselves. As a result I'm quite interested in potentially changing from using a pair of 15" speakers on tripods to 8" or 10" tops over a pair of 12" subs. I would like to keep the weight of the subs right down to around 20kg per box and I'm particularly interested in the following systems :-

EV ELX200-10p / ELX200-12sp
RCF HD10a mk4 / 702asII
FBT FBT Promaxx 110a / Subline 112sa

or

Yamaha DXR8 or DXR10 mk2 tops over one of the above subs.

Alternatively I'm really interested the the upcoming Yamaha DXR15 mkII and the RCF HDM-45a based on how successful the DXR15's have proved over the past 8 years for me.

Does anyone know how any of the 12" subs I've listed would compare to a pair of tripod mounted DXR15's regarding depth of bass and output?

What would you recommend?

Paul G. OBrien

All of those sub/sat combos will outperform DXR15s on their own with more low bass and much cleaner mids/vocals at higher drive levels. I own and like these Yamahas and the worst I have ever heard them sound was running fullrange while attempting to produce significant bass output, a 3 way system beats that every time with it's dedicated midrange drivers. Coming from 18" subs you may find the 12" subs lacking but it depends on the model, some of them are really potent.

Richard Penrose

Thanks for the reply. The only 12” sub that I’ve heard is a KV2 1.2 paired with the EX6 tops and that system sounded stunning but is totally out of my budget!

Which 12” subs would you recommend?

Dennis Wiggins

...I would like to keep the weight of the subs right down to around 20kg per box

...Yamaha DXR8 or DXR10 mk2 tops over one of the above subs.

...What would you recommend?

Do you always use, or need,  a L-R setup? Here is another option.

This has been my go-to pub rig for about a year.  1 DXR12 over 3 ZxA1-Subs. Very small, physically stable, clean, has even dispersion, and get incredibly loud. Easy transport and setup. One has to experience this. It is overwhelming when you want it to be. It is scalable.

Set DXR D-Contour to Off, with HPF120Hz. When paired with DXR10 or 12, set the ZxA1-Subs to Invert Reverse Polarity. The Subs are Aux fed.

My opinions: The 10s are really great for the vocal range, but are a bit "dull" in the highs (in a pleasant way). They sound good but will not get very loud.

When the joint is jumpin' at the end of the night, you will wish you had the 12s. They have a much fuller sound with extended highs and significantly more output. The 12s are easy to handle and they rock!

I use a DXR10 or a Zxa1 on a tripod as extensions in wide or odd-shaped rooms where I need coverage "over there" (typically at a lower level).

-Dennis
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 03:38:52 PM by Dennis Wiggins »

Richard Penrose

Thanks. Yes I always use and mostly need a stereo system.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Thanks. Yes I always use and mostly need a stereo system.

Just out of curiosity, why?  Are the rooms that wide?  Do you run stereo content?

Back to your post, 1st I am an FBT dealer and the Sublines are nice however the dual 12" JTR's are the trick.  I use KW181's under my DZR12's (personal system) and the 181's I need to put back into the rental inventory so I am looking at those JTR's real hard. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Johan Falt

• Sweden/Jonkoping
    • http://www.lucas.se

I find the new ELX200-12sp to be very good, sounds more like a much bigger box that it really is. A HUGE step up from the old ZXA Sub.
I do think bit sounds more like a 18" than a 12". For the money it's truely awesome.

Richard Penrose

Yes I’ve heard good things about the new EV box! I’ve also heard good things about the RCF and FBT as well and am wondering which would offer the best performance?

Greg Harwood

Re: Replace DXR15's with 8"/10" tops over 12" subs or upgrade DXR15's
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2019, 09:46:13 AM »

Just out of curiosity, why?  Are the rooms that wide?  Do you run stereo content?

Back to your post, 1st I am an FBT dealer and the Sublines are nice however the dual 12" JTR's are the trick.  I use KW181's under my DZR12's (personal system) and the 181's I need to put back into the rental inventory so I am looking at those JTR's real hard.

I can whole heartedly recommend the JTR 212 subs.  Been very impressed with them so far.  They will outperform your KW subs without breaking a sweat.
Greg H.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK

Honestly, why not pick up one or more of the systems from Thomann (as you're UK based).  They'll take them back (and pay for return delivery) if you're not happy.  I've used this service before and it works a charm.

It'll always do you better than asking others for their opinions - especially as we have our own priorities for what is more important in a piece of kit.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 25 queries.