ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 14-50 right angle plug wiring question  (Read 2137 times)

Matt Greiner

14-50 right angle plug wiring question
« on: June 09, 2019, 01:05:22 AM »

I have wired up many of the range plugs (14-30 or 14-50) and have always been concerned with the connections and how close they have to be to each other inside the right angle plug, especially being bare.  I just wonder if there is something that I could use to help protect those connections?

Could you use some silicone caulk inside the head to help insulate between the different connections?  I get that by doing that, you are making it essentially a one time use connection.  Or is there another solution?

Just trying to limit the potential risk.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: 14-50 right angle plug wiring question
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2019, 10:17:39 AM »

I have wired up many of the range plugs (14-30 or 14-50) and have always been concerned with the connections and how close they have to be to each other inside the right angle plug, especially being bare.  I just wonder if there is something that I could use to help protect those connections?

Could you use some silicone caulk inside the head to help insulate between the different connections?  I get that by doing that, you are making it essentially a one time use connection.  Or is there another solution?

Just trying to limit the potential risk.

Assemble according to the diagram and use the wire stripping gauge molded into the connector body.  Torque set screws to spec.

In a couple of months come back and open the connector and re-torque the set screws.

Over the last 50 years of my life I've not had a 14-50 short internally.  We have a couple of clients that have them and keep an adapter or two but not for routine use.

Matt, is there a back story to this?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2019, 11:07:40 AM »

Assemble according to the diagram and use the wire stripping gauge molded into the connector body.  Torque set screws to spec.

In a couple of months come back and open the connector and re-torque the set screws.

Over the last 50 years of my life I've not had a 14-50 short internally.  We have a couple of clients that have them and keep an adapter or two but not for routine use.

I have a number of those too and find them an utter PITA. The Hubbell plugs are worlds better, unfortunately they are 4x the price.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2019, 11:21:06 AM »

I have a number of those too and find them an utter PITA. The Hubbell plugs are worlds better, unfortunately they are 4x the price.
Haha. There's likely a reason for that price.......
"Ya wants da best, yas gotta pays."
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 11:32:05 AM »

No incidents, no excitement, no sparks have flown. 

I have been making the switch over to California Hubbell's for my systems, however, a lot of the venue's I work with only have the 14-50 receptacles available for tie in so I have several adapters that I keep around.  This was a short notice need, so I did not have time to order an actual Hubbell, and had to use what the big box store had in stock.  (I think it was a Legrand.)    The molded caps of the plugs do seem to lack the sturdiness I would like to see. 

Perhaps this is why I never felt this way in the past, as I got authentic Hubbell's from the local electrical supply house.  Since they are only open bankers hours, it wasn't an option this time.

I was just pondering the silicone, as I've seen it used (or a substance similar) to hold different parts of circuit boards in place inside some of my amps.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2019, 11:34:43 AM by Matt Greiner »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2019, 02:31:29 PM »

Perhaps this is why I never felt this way in the past, as I got authentic Hubbell's from the local electrical supply house.  Since they are only open bankers hours, it wasn't an option this time.

I've found a HUGE difference in quality and ease of assembly between the cheapies and the name brands like Hubbell. 

My one thought is if you feel that you need something in addition to what the plug mfgr provides either you're doing it wrong or you're using the wrong (read cheap/crappy) part.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2019, 02:36:38 PM »

Making an adapter in a pinch, I'd probably opt for a preassembled molded pigtail-I'm sure the big box should have them for ovens.
Steve Swaffer

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2019, 06:08:53 PM »

Making an adapter in a pinch, I'd probably opt for a preassembled molded pigtail-I'm sure the big box should have them for ovens.

Agree. The molded assemblies are better than the crappy Eagle or Leviton angle plugs that have really flimsy strain reliefs and look they're made from 1940s materials. I used a molded plug for my occasional-use adapter. --Frank
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2019, 01:58:08 AM »

Is there UL-listed silicone sealant with a specified dielectric strength? If so, does it require a specific curing time in free air to achieve that strength?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »

Is there UL-listed silicone sealant with a specified dielectric strength? If so, does it require a specific curing time in free air to achieve that strength?

What strength do you need?

All you are doing is preventing some wiggle that should not even happen if the assembly workmanship is good.

Just go buy a molded plug assembly @ home despot and attach your favorite female connector. Done.

An ok one is $12 and a good one is $25 and it includes a 5’ cord.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2019, 04:00:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 25 queries.