ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Mic case suggestions?  (Read 5978 times)

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
Re: Mic case suggestions?
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2019, 05:46:56 PM »

I use a large soft bag, basically a sports holdall.

24 mics are all in pouches, 6 DIs, and various short adapter cables.

There's a bit of digging through to get the right mics, but it doesn't take too long.

The big disadvantage of this is the weight to carry.  Have considered going to a wheeled case, but I do love the "stuffability" of the soft case - plus the wheeled case would be heavier, albeit easier as it's on wheels.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2019, 11:26:19 PM »

I’m a fan of mic bags and whatever size case I need t the time to transport said mics.  Space efficient, and easily adaptable to different situations.  Every dedicated mic case I’ve used ends up not really fitting some of the mics so you have to cut it up and then you get rid of those and get others and cut it up more and soon your custom awesome case is a mess.

I know there was a thread here that talked about where to get mic sized zipper bags in various colors which would go a long way to making the job of finding the right mic in the pile of bags easier.  Anyone remember that source?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Steve Garris

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2019, 02:44:20 PM »

I absolutely love these cases: https://bit.ly/2I1Wfre

The OP would likely need (2). I use the smaller 9 mic version, and place drum mics in pouches on the right side. I've had mine for 6-7 years and the foam is still perfectly intact. I do not use them for DI boxes.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2019, 04:06:26 PM »

Every dedicated mic case I’ve used ends up not really fitting some of the mics so you have to cut it up and then you get rid of those and get others and cut it up more and soon your custom awesome case is a mess.

I know there was a thread here that talked about where to get mic sized zipper bags in various colors which would go a long way to making the job of finding the right mic in the pile of bags easier.  Anyone remember that source?
Even there, you might be back to the problem of not every mic fitting a standard pouch?  My Sennheiser e901 is a big beast!

I use coloured LX tape on the zip tag of each bag - red for drum mics, green for guitar mics, purple for vocal mics.  That helps a lot.  That said, three larger bags - one each for drums, mics & vocals could help organisation.

I've often thought that something along the lines of these fishing tackle organisers with the dividers custom sized would work a treat for me.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2019, 08:45:47 PM »

What’s the latest and greatest way of carrying your mics?

I snagged a Gator GM-16-MIC-WP when one of the online retailers ran a half price special, awhile back.  It works really well and is plenty stout but, as others are stating, no one case does it all for everyone.  Handles a lot of gigs, some mics in the foam, my Sennheiser Drum & Instrument mics in their bags in the open compartment.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Don Ernst

• Ernst Audio Services, Inc
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2019, 11:22:39 AM »

What’s the latest and greatest way of carrying your mics? 

Harbor Freight has Pelican style cases for a lot less.  Here is an example.

https://www.harborfreight.com/5800-weatherproof-protective-rolling-carry-on-case-x-large-64819.html?_br_psugg_q=apache+case

With coupons, you can get this case for $69.
Don Ernst
Louisville, Ky.

Matt Vivlamore

• Lab Lounge
  • Southern Maryland
    • https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2019, 08:52:56 AM »

Thanks all, I ended up buying a SKB 3I-2011-MC12 mic case. 
We're based in Southern Maryland, and LIKE us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/MeerkatSound/

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2019, 10:44:02 AM »

I absolutely love these cases: https://bit.ly/2I1Wfre

The OP would likely need (2). I use the smaller 9 mic version, and place drum mics in pouches on the right side. I've had mine for 6-7 years and the foam is still perfectly intact. I do not use them for DI boxes.

I have one of these too and it has been great! I also have an SKB 12 hole case (1SKB 1200 ATA now discontinued)  but I prefer the Newark (formerly MCM).
Like Steve,  the foam has lasted well - no sign of degrading and very little signs of wear. Case is still in good condition and latches all still work - been used almost every show for about 4 years.  Also unlike the SKB case, it doesn't want to fall backwards when the lid is open.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2019, 10:51:37 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Steve Garris

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2019, 02:16:52 PM »

I have one of these too and it has been great! I also have an SKB 12 hole case (1SKB 1200 ATA now discontinued)  but I prefer the Newark (formerly MCM).
Like Steve,  the foam has lasted well - no sign of degrading and very little signs of wear. Case is still in good condition and latches all still work - been used almost every show for about 4 years.  Also unlike the SKB case, it doesn't want to fall backwards when the lid is open.

And I believe it weighs a few pounds less as well. Funny how that matters when you get old!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »

And I believe it weighs a few pounds less as well. Funny how that matters when you get old!

That is true - the SKB case is a bit heavier for sure - every ounce matters....
Why does everything weigh twice as much at the end of an evening.... and why does the cable count seem to double?... 
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2019, 03:14:43 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.