ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Opinions: DZR12 vs SRX812P  (Read 2410 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Opinions: DZR12 vs SRX812P
« on: June 04, 2019, 04:01:19 PM »

Hey Folks,

I am working on an install where I plan to fly a pair of 12" two-way Mains.  They'll pull double duty as a Stage PA System (along with an 18" sub) and alternately, one of several zones of background music.  The space is a multipurpose Bar/Restaurant/Live Venue.  The system design relies on the speakers to have Onboard DSP and two inputs.

I had initially planned on using DZR12s, but after a recent service issue with others in my universe, I'm reconsidering other options.  I have little experience with the SRX line, but it appears to have similar features and specs to DZR. 

Can anyone offer real-world experience comparing the two?

Any other self-powered 12" boxes comparable to DZR in level and fidelity with DSP and 2 inputs that I should also consider?

Thanks!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Opinions: DZR12 vs SRX812P
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2019, 05:11:59 PM »

Hey Folks,

I am working on an install where I plan to fly a pair of 12" two-way Mains.  They'll pull double duty as a Stage PA System (along with an 18" sub) and alternately, one of several zones of background music.  The space is a multipurpose Bar/Restaurant/Live Venue.  The system design relies on the speakers to have Onboard DSP and two inputs.

I had initially planned on using DZR12s, but after a recent service issue with others in my universe, I'm reconsidering other options.  I have little experience with the SRX line, but it appears to have similar features and specs to DZR. 

Can anyone offer real-world experience comparing the two?

Any other self-powered 12" boxes comparable to DZR in level and fidelity with DSP and 2 inputs that I should also consider?

Thanks!

We have had this discussion before, I am in the camp of not flying powered speakers.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2019, 05:24:57 PM »

I'd agree that you have a lot more options and fewer hassles if you fly non-powered speakers.

If it was my venue, I'd absolutely go with something non powered from someone like JTR, Danley, Meyer, etc. Once it's mounted up there you don't want to ever have to mess with it.

But speaking of powered 12" speakers with 2 inputs and DSP, I really like the Atomic CLR NEO MKII. It is a coaxial speaker designed to be a reference for guitar modeling rigs, so it has to be flat and loud. Sounds way better than it should for the price (about $1k). Problems are no fly points, and they have been out of stock forever.

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2019, 08:46:34 PM »

We have had this discussion before, I am in the camp of not flying powered speakers.

Agreed. 
Martin CDD and QSC PLD amp
Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2019, 11:42:11 PM »

... sigh....

Okay; I'll just scrap the existing design and rip the AC and signal wire out of the now-finished walls so we can discuss what speaker you all like best...  /snarc

The room is already wired for self-powered mains*  It's not a big room; I'll be able to reach the speaker's inputs and control panel standing on a chair on stage.

Does anyone have informed opinions pertinent to my actual question - (DZR12 vs. SRX812P) - and design requirements (DSP Onboard, Two audio inputs)?  (And, I should add, budget, ~$1k / box)

* I happen to be in the camp of keeping the amp and speaker as a very-tightly-coupled system, with the fewest inches-of-wire and least user-configurable parameters between the two.

Thanks all!

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 11:46:50 PM »

... sigh....

Okay; I'll just scrap the existing design and rip the AC and signal wire out of the now-finished walls so we can discuss what speaker you all like best...  /snarc

The room is already wired for self-powered mains*  It's not a big room; I'll be able to reach the speaker's inputs and control panel standing on a chair on stage.

Does anyone have informed opinions pertinent to my actual question - (DZR12 vs. SRX812P) - and design requirements (DSP Onboard, Two audio inputs)?  (And, I should add, budget, ~$1k / box)

* I happen to be in the camp of keeping the amp and speaker as a very-tightly-coupled system, with the fewest inches-of-wire and least user-configurable parameters between the two.

Thanks all!

You did ask for our opinion, lol.  The DZR and JBL are both highly regarded, you can't go wrong with either.    Lastly, you should not be standing on a chair, that's safety issue.  While some may think a lift would be best I think a ladder would do nicely.  You do need a good stage hand to put his foot on the bottom rung though.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Peter Kowalczyk

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 11:48:18 PM »

You did ask for our opinion, lol. 

a'ight, touche...  ;)

Eric Snodgrass

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »

I like the EV ETX12P speakers. Two inputs, fly points, onboard DSP, 2000w onboard amp, and to my ears they sound really good.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2019, 02:36:43 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 23 queries.