ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Covering subs with banners- much degradation to sound?  (Read 4463 times)

Magnus Högkvist

Re: Covering subs with banners- much degradation to sound?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2019, 12:13:35 PM »

Band-banners goes on the backdrop, if at all. Have a pipe under the back truss and hoist it up and down for the bands to set up their banners.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2019, 12:21:23 PM »

Band-banners goes on the backdrop, if at all. Have a pipe under the back truss and hoist it up and down for the bands to set up their banners.

"But.. but.. then no one can read the maroon text on black background.."

Ya, and?

In my experience, it's sponsors / organization on the front, backdrops for bands.
Iv'e been known to pop balloons that are blocking the horns...
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2019, 02:22:38 PM »

I have been in communication with the band leaders over the past couple of weeks gathering stage plots, advising of my requirements regarding arrival times etc and today I sent out a final punch list laying out everything again so there are no surprises.
My final point on my letter was regarding the band banners and to NOT place them in front of my subs. Job done - LOL!
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2019, 09:48:15 PM »

I have been in communication with the band leaders over the past couple of weeks gathering stage plots, advising of my requirements regarding arrival times etc and today I sent out a final punch list laying out everything again so there are no surprises.
My final point on my letter was regarding the band banners and to NOT place them in front of my subs. Job done - LOL!

In the future when you have time, would be interesting to do an experiment. I find that blocking the port is much more effective to change the sub response than blocking the driver.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Sean Chen

• Pristine Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2019, 09:50:22 PM »

In the future when you have time, would be interesting to do an experiment. I find that blocking the port is much more effective to change the sub response than blocking the driver.

Also for future ideas, I have actually thought about making a vertical banner for my band and stretch it between the top and sub, which would block the pole and cables, and not block the sound.
Pristine Audio
Authorized dealer for Allen & Heath, Countryman, Danley Sound Labs, Dynaudio, Electro-Voice, Gator Cases, HK Audio, K&M, Mackie, MiPro, RCF,  Yorkville
www.pristine-audio.com

Dennis Wiggins

« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2019, 10:27:18 PM »

Ya, and?

...Iv'e been known to pop balloons that are blocking the horns...

Like this? I was lucky in that I was able to get them moved after demonstrating what a bad idea it was.

-Dennis

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2019, 12:04:07 AM »

Like this? I was lucky in that I was able to get them moved after demonstrating what a bad idea it was.

-Dennis
You got a good one!
Mine was an arc going from SL to SR front edges.
I popped 3 balloons a side on the string.
i didn't notice the missing ones at all.  ::)
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2019, 05:36:14 PM »

If the band is doing their job well, more people will see their banner when it is hung up than when it is covering the subs, anyway, lol

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2019, 11:48:41 PM »

We will be running an outdoor show this weekend that we have done many times before.
The stage is always set when we get there - not a huge stage area but it does the job.
We usually cluster the subs along the front of the stage centered and the past couple of shows, the staging company has left a couple of stage pieces (4ft -5ft square) for us to use also. So we have been placing them over the subs like tables  and then we can put 2 of the front wedges on the stage pieces which gives the band more room on stage. 
This has been working great but for some reason the bands seem to think that hanging their heavy gauge vinyl banners from the stage pieces is a good idea and I agree that aesthetically it probably is but this covers the subs completely and so far we have politely asked the bands to move the banners to a better positon which they have done willingly once advised why.
My question is this: does it make that much difference to the sub performance in the big scheme of things if I were to allow them to cover the subs in this way?
The reason I try to avoid it is because even when I use thin plastic over my speakers when it rains, I can easily hear the difference but would it be as noticeable with subs?

I'm used to hearing my subs with hundreds of water bags between the subs and the mix position.
I would hope a few microns of fabric wouldn't be that detrimental. Heck, some speakers even have a perforated sheet of metal in front of the driver.

Mal Brown

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:18 AM »

Heck, on my gig tomorrow... high school graduation.  Audience in  the 2.5 to 3k range... my subs will be tarped based on the forecast.  My tops will be in their rain covers and I will be sweating the wind...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2019, 01:01:18 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 23 queries.