ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Radio station in the pipes  (Read 3580 times)

Benjamin Krumholz

Radio station in the pipes
« on: June 03, 2019, 11:25:45 AM »

Hey All,
So at an install recently, and a few other times in the past, I have run into AM Radio bleeding into mic lines that have a little distance to them. My typical fix would be something like a Shure A15RF.. Those filters work really well and they pass phantom. YAY.

So back to this current story. The install is at a pool club that is next to a 35KW AM Radio Station in a major market.. If I take my Fluke Toner/Sniffer i can hear the radio station almost EVERYWHERE in the pool club.. If I hold it to almost any an outlet, power main, drain pipe, phone line in the place you can hear the radio station clear as day... The outlets that my rack is connected to test fine with a multi meter and a outlet checker. I can hear the radio on my power.. The A15RF fixed the mic line i was having an issue with.. But what can i tell the owners, if anything?! Can this issue be fixed? I imagine the main ground for the building is connected to a pipe somewhere. Same for the phone systems. Any Suggestions?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Radio station in the pipes
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 12:59:22 PM »

Hey All,
So at an install recently, and a few other times in the past, I have run into AM Radio bleeding into mic lines that have a little distance to them. My typical fix would be something like a Shure A15RF.. Those filters work really well and they pass phantom. YAY.

So back to this current story. The install is at a pool club that is next to a 35KW AM Radio Station in a major market.. If I take my Fluke Toner/Sniffer i can hear the radio station almost EVERYWHERE in the pool club.. If I hold it to almost any an outlet, power main, drain pipe, phone line in the place you can hear the radio station clear as day... The outlets that my rack is connected to test fine with a multi meter and a outlet checker. I can hear the radio on my power.. The A15RF fixed the mic line i was having an issue with.. But what can i tell the owners, if anything?! Can this issue be fixed? I imagine the main ground for the building is connected to a pipe somewhere. Same for the phone systems. Any Suggestions?
Don't locate there...

Back in the 80s I got called to exorcise an AM radio station from a console I designed. The customer's studio was in the main lobe of an AM radio station (960kHz)... I ended up reworking the console's internal PS ground structure... That day trip turned into two days with little sleep.  :o

The studio was in the basement of their lawyer/backer's building... So I had to make it right.  ::)

AM radio is worse because it is relatively low frequency so harder to filter out.

I'd keep doing what you are doing (whackamole it where it pops up), unless you can build a faraday cage around the entire property (you can't, so don't bother looking that up).

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 02:21:06 PM »

I'd keep doing what you are doing (whackamole it where it pops up), unless you can build a faraday cage around the entire property (you can't, so don't bother looking that up).

JR
Actually..........
My office is beside Dorval Airport, in Montreal.
There is an "establishment" nearby that IS wrapped in a faraday cage.
Quite impressive.
Now, question is..
What are they keeping out, or what are they keeping in?
No company name anywhere to be seen.
I'd say "Black Ops", but it's a white cage, and it's not in the U S of A.
and it's out in the open for anyone to see.
Chris.
Should I wear my tin-foil hat ? ::)
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 03:48:30 PM »

As long as it's properly grounded. :o
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 03:52:56 PM »

Actually..........
My office is beside Dorval Airport, in Montreal.
There is an "establishment" nearby that IS wrapped in a faraday cage.
Quite impressive.
Now, question is..
What are they keeping out, or what are they keeping in?
more likely keeping RF leakage from computers (and phones) in... sensitive receivers could sniff data, but not easily. 
No company name anywhere to be seen.
I'd say "Black Ops", but it's a white cage, and it's not in the U S of A.
and it's out in the open for anyone to see.
Chris.
of course, but not during thunder storms.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Mike Sokol

• Lead instructor for the No~Shock~Zone
    • No~Shock~Zone Electrical Safety
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2019, 07:14:09 AM »

Hey All,

I've also had a lot of success with the Neutrik EMC line of XLR connectors. I have been called in to stop the football games on the local AM radio station from interfering with the pastor's sermon . https://www.neutrik.com/en/neutrik/products/xlr-connectors/xlr-cable-connectors/emc-series

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 02:16:14 PM »

An accountant that I support had an office less than 100 feet from an AM radio station's transmitter antenna (don't know the wattage of the station). Naturally, the RF interference was impressive, and caused great amounts of interference on their computer network.

Their ultimate solution was to strip all of the siding from the building, install hardware cloth (1/2" steel mesh, I believe), properly grounded and bonded, and reinstall the siding. I think the radio station ended up sharing some of the cost.

So this nondescript downtown office building is a Faraday cage. The accountant eventually moved out, and an attorney moved in.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Daniel Levi

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 04:10:01 PM »

and below the former Rampisham transmission site car remotes would not work and they would hear Russian coming out of their toasters!
ERP was a few MW if I remember correctly.
http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/gallerypage.php?txid=1662

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2019, 05:11:18 PM »

An accountant that I support had an office less than 100 feet from an AM radio station's transmitter antenna (don't know the wattage of the station). Naturally, the RF interference was impressive, and caused great amounts of interference on their computer network.

Their ultimate solution was to strip all of the siding from the building, install hardware cloth (1/2" steel mesh, I believe), properly grounded and bonded, and reinstall the siding. I think the radio station ended up sharing some of the cost.

So this nondescript downtown office building is a Faraday cage. The accountant eventually moved out, and an attorney moved in.

An office 100ft from an AM transmitter of the broadcast station?  Since AM stations either use the tower (or a series of towers for a directional array) or a wire going up tower as the antenna I just can't see an office constructed underneath one. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »

An office 100ft from an AM transmitter of the broadcast station?  Since AM stations either use the tower (or a series of towers for a directional array) or a wire going up tower as the antenna I just can't see an office constructed underneath one.

Unless an engineer is involved  ;D
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2019, 10:32:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.