ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More rig for the gig than we need? Upgrading to smaller size and better quality  (Read 7756 times)

Steve Garris

I upgraded from original QSC K12s to DXR10s.
Sound great. Get plenty loud (for me) and my back is much happier. Oh, and they pack in a smaller space.

I've used those SRM boxes and can confirm the DXR would be substantially better sonically than the Mackies. I do not recommend the qsc boxes for mains. I also use a PRX system that I love. YMMV

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio

If a pair of 12" subs will do the job, I'd expect 8" mains to keep up.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren

I'm not sure why people are not real high on the QSC stuff.  I have been using various combinations of K12's, KW153's, and KW181's for a few years and found them to be very capable for our cover band.  I upgraded our Presonus board to the Midas M32R and noticed a big improvement.  If needed, I have four subs and with the 153's, I can do stuff for around 300-400 people outdoors.  For larger crowds, we usually let the promoters contract the production out.  Smaller bars, 2 subs and the K12's will do the job nicely!  MHO  Good luck with your search!

Bob Stone

I'm not sure why people are not real high on the QSC stuff.  I have been using various combinations of K12's, KW153's, and KW181's for a few years and found them to be very capable for our cover band.  I upgraded our Presonus board to the Midas M32R and noticed a big improvement.  If needed, I have four subs and with the 153's, I can do stuff for around 300-400 people outdoors.  For larger crowds, we usually let the promoters contract the production out.  Smaller bars, 2 subs and the K12's will do the job nicely!  MHO  Good luck with your search!

Mark - it's just the typical flavour of the month thing that everyone jumps on. Seems right now everyone is on a Yamaha kick with a little JBL SRX sprinkled in. Yesterday was Danley/JTR. The week before that it was QSC...the QSC's are still great boxes for the price.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Mark - it's just the typical flavour of the month thing that everyone jumps on. Seems right now everyone is on a Yamaha kick with a little JBL SRX sprinkled in. Yesterday was Danley/JTR. The week before that it was QSC...the QSC's are still great boxes for the price.

Not quite a flavor of the month thing, Bob.  The Yamaha supporters have been pretty steadfast in their use of the products, as have the JBL users (and a few, like Debbie D, use both and make comparisons they publish on the LAB).  The QSC users are happy with their purchases, too, but if you read what Scott H and others have to say about them I suspect the commercial aspects outweigh the sound quality or other *perceived* differences.  I've used almost all the brands and models mentioned in this thread and they're all fairly capable products; the differences are shown when individual owners have a use where THAT product seems superior to them in the use they give those products.

Danley and JTR are worthy of the praise given but mostly are in a class above those mentioned here.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bob Stone

Not quite a flavor of the month thing, Bob.  The Yamaha supporters have been pretty steadfast in their use of the products, as have the JBL users (and a few, like Debbie D, use both and make comparisons they publish on the LAB).  The QSC users are happy with their purchases, too, but if you read what Scott H and others have to say about them I suspect the commercial aspects outweigh the sound quality or other *perceived* differences.  I've used almost all the brands and models mentioned in this thread and they're all fairly capable products; the differences are shown when individual owners have a use where THAT product seems superior to them in the use they give those products.

Danley and JTR are worthy of the praise given but mostly are in a class above those mentioned here.

Understandably those talking up a product they own and like is great...but I've read quite a few threads as of late (in the last month or so) that have had negative comments on the QSC's. Now the QSC's are not the be all, end all of boxes out there but they are good speakers for their price, are quite competitive, and have proven to be workhorses. I wouldn't sway anyone away from purchasing them if they would be suitable for the job and I don't think others should either.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA

Understandably those talking up a product they own and like is great...but I've read quite a few threads as of late (in the last month or so) that have had negative comments on the QSC's. Now the QSC's are not the be all, end all of boxes out there but they are good speakers for their price, are quite competitive, and have proven to be workhorses. I wouldn't sway anyone away from purchasing them if they would be suitable for the job and I don't think others should either.

We don't own any K series but we've got clients that have them and other than too many user options on the back panel I don't find anything objectionable for the corporate gigs I've done with them, and a couple of entertainment events where the big K boxes were used as side fills (loud 80's tribute act, the speakers survived and the band had no complaints).

For the majority of uses I see the speakers under discussion as largely interchangeable - the differences are the processing/routing options, price, and weight.  Personal preferences and any existing inventory compatibility are probably the biggest decision factors...

"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Garris

I work at a club every Sunday night that has 2 K12's flown. The boxes have a weird resonating low mid off the back, requiring a lot of filtering to prevent the vocal mic's from feeding back (250 Hz). Additionally, when the place fills up, they run out of steam and start to sound harsh and crappy, as compared to my SRX or DSR's. They are not worth the $100 savings IMO. I do think they make good floor wedges. YMMV.

A friend has a KW122/KW181 system that I've run a few times. To me they sound off, but I can't quite put my finger on why. They have a noticeably narrow horn pattern that doesn't cover well in wide places.

Bob Stone

I work at a club every Sunday night that has 2 K12's flown. The boxes have a weird resonating low mid off the back, requiring a lot of filtering to prevent the vocal mic's from feeding back (250 Hz). Additionally, when the place fills up, they run out of steam and start to sound harsh and crappy, as compared to my SRX or DSR's. They are not worth the $100 savings IMO. I do think they make good floor wedges. YMMV.

A friend has a KW122/KW181 system that I've run a few times. To me they sound off, but I can't quite put my finger on why. They have a noticeably narrow horn pattern that doesn't cover well in wide places.

Where are you buying your stuff? There's a $500 difference between the K12.2 ($800 at sweetwater) vs the SRX812p ($1300 at sweetwater).

And go figure, a narrow pattern doesn't cover well in a wide place, who would have thought? That's not a fault of the speaker whatsoever. In fact, both of those appear to be poor application of the equipment. A pair of K12's in all but the smallest acoustic clubs would be insufficient.

Steve Garris

Where are you buying your stuff? There's a $500 difference between the K12.2 ($800 at sweetwater) vs the SRX812p ($1300 at sweetwater).

And go figure, a narrow pattern doesn't cover well in a wide place, who would have thought? That's not a fault of the speaker whatsoever. In fact, both of those appear to be poor application of the equipment. A pair of K12's in all but the smallest acoustic clubs would be insufficient.

The DSR is $100 more.
Yes, the 75 degree horn is insufficient for a wider space. I wonder why most manufacturers of these similarly-priced boxes use 90 deg horns? Could it be that they work better in your typical small club?

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 26 queries.