ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More rig for the gig than we need? Upgrading to smaller size and better quality  (Read 7764 times)

Andrea Litti

• my FB page

A couple of RCF Art710 mk4 and a RCF 8003-II would be a very good and lightweight portable system that fits your needs and costs about 2500 euros in Italy. I don't know the pricing of this setup in the US but I guess it's close to 2500 USD

Patrick Cognitore

I just check out the Mackie models that you have, at 37lbs and 64lbs they are not terribly heavy for speakers of their size and construction. I'm not knocking your want and need for lighter weight speakers, I've got a bulging disc myself so I get it. But a QSC K10.2 is 32lbs, which saves you only 5lbs off of your current tops. There are some models that dip below 30lbs, mostly 8" models. To get lighter than that you'd have to go with something like a Bose S1, which has very limited output capabilities, IME.

And subs are mostly going to be over 50lbs. Ones that are worth dragging to the gig to get some low end, anyway.

But if you're SPL needs are truly modest, you may want to check out something like  the RCF Evox J8. I don't generally like those column type systems and usually think you're better off with standard 2 way tops and subs for the price, but for a situation like yours it may worth checking out. the J8 is around 50lbs for the system (sub and top). The top is very lightweight and easy to lift. And the RCF stuff sounds good. A pair of those would come in ~ $2000.

https://www.rcf.it/en_US/products/product-detail/evox-j8/488963

I should say "small local band in a small park" gigs LOL.  So 50-100 people watching while eating at a community fair.

I know they are mostly a lateral move, other than possibly improved sound quality with a new/better speaker and potentially size/weight savings.

It's not a necessary move, but rather something I'm considering to save our backs :).

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

I’d consider the RCF evox 12.

As much as I'm a RCF fanboy, I don't think the very capable Evox 12 would be budget friendly for him, nor would the Evox 8, which also would fit the bill.  Pricewise, *maybe* the RCF J8 (Evox 8 in a plastic cabinet, more or less...).

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services

As a former Evox 12 owner (stolen, unfortunately), I'll say they're nice boxes. Super loud for their size, and they sound great. They get a little uneven off-axis, and I disliked that they couldn't be tilted or arrayed. Not a big deal in most bar-type venues, but it was an issue in theaters and churches. I think the Evox 8 sounds a little better out of the box than the 12, but man the Evox 12 gets loud for its size. The J8 is nice too, although it doesn't seem to sound quite as good as the wooden box version. But for half the price it's hard to complain.

After they were stolen, I replaced my 2 Evox 12's with 4 FBT CS1000's, and I'd replace them with the same if they disappeared. The ability to tilt and array them is perfect for my use, and I love that they pack up so small with everything together. The off-axis pattern is much more even than the Evox 12, and while a single FBT CS1000 isn't quite as loud, a pair of them is louder than the Evox. In a theater, I can have the bottom box cover the main floor and the top box covers the balcony. They might look a little funny from the side, but they work really well.

Disclaimer, I'm an RCF and FBT dealer.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK

I just check out the Mackie models that you have, at 37lbs and 64lbs they are not terribly heavy for speakers of their size and construction. I'm not knocking your want and need for lighter weight speakers, I've got a bulging disc myself so I get it. But a QSC K10.2 is 32lbs, which saves you only 5lbs off of your current tops. There are some models that dip below 30lbs, mostly 8" models. To get lighter than that you'd have to go with something like a Bose S1, which has very limited output capabilities, IME.
There are loads of us older musos where every bit of size/weight saved has a value, but there's no value in hating the load-in/out, and definitely no manliness in it.

You can get greater weight savings - my RCF ART 710s are 11 kg (24 of your quaint pounds) which is definitely a weight saving worth having.  That said, the latest version are 2-3kg heavier - I think they dropped the neo bass drivers, sadly.

Sean Zurbrick

• My band

This was going to be my reply as well.

jesseweiss

I'm not aware of a DSR110 offering - only the DSR112 (amazing) and DSR115. There's a DZR10 now, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Speaking of expense... This might be just slightly above your budget, but if you shop around and ask about discounts from your local retailer (or contact Mike Pyle!!), I'd do something like:

2x DXR10 (very capable and light weight) on tripods
1x JTR Captivator 212 Pro (active)

Very compact system, but very potent. Put the C212Pro in the center of the stage and you'll be duly impressed.

Yeah the JTR is probably outside my price range.

The PRX815XLF is definitely something I've looked at.

I have to agree with the post that a few pounds makes a difference. Keep in mind that I am frequently moving a lot of the stuff myself, then playing fairly fast drums for 2-3 hours (frequently 35+ songs) and any weight savings is meaningful.

Size of the sub is another issue. None of us have big cars. I can fit the sub in my wife's small SUV but it's tight with my drum kit, stands, and some other stuff.

DXR10 is another option I was looking at. Have to look at their subs to compare, as I think they are fairly heavy.

We did a charity gig we run with a hired sound guy and he used 2 ELX200-12SP subs with I believe RCF tops (10/12, don't remember), and they provided plenty of low end for our needs. This was in a full 400 person theater.

I understand it's mostly a lateral move, but I'm comfortable spending some money to help my back (3 bulging discs, some muscle atrophy in left leg, nerve pain, etc...) so it isn't just a matter of convenience. It may be important to extend my ability to continue to play.

Even two smaller 12" subs that are easier to fit in cars and move around are an option.

John P. Farrell

So..... I'm considering upgrading by downsizing (and possibly improving sound quality) and was looking for feedback, particularly moving to 10" mains from 12's.

One option would be to go with k10.2's over their new KS112. The k10.2's are lighter than our SRM's, the KS112 smaller than our sub and with casters.  This isn't a cheap option but would provide some size/weight relief and better sound quality.

To me the K10 (and any other boxes in that category) ARE the cheap option.  There are plenty of pro grade 10" boxes with decent output and fidelity but you'll easily be spending your whole budget per box, and most boxes that sound that good aren't especially lightweight.   

I guess we have different ideas of what a rig in the park is expected to do and it seems you're valuing portability far more than upgrading audio quality after reading deeper into the thread.  So if a smaller footprint in the car and a few pounds less to lift is what you're after there have been a few good suggestions for around the $3000 mark. 

Since you're already in a Behringer/Music Group ecosystem with your mixer perhaps check out the Turbosound iQ series....I've had decent luck with them where budget is a concern and they seem to sound a little better than the plastic boxes to me.  MAP on those is $674 and you can definitely get a better price through any dealer.  There are quite a few sub options and you can run ultranet. 

Hope you find something that works for you.

JF
FOH/PM Blackberry Smoke

Douglas R. Allen

For a light weight top I'd take a good look at the Db Ingenia IG2T. I've been running the IG4T with great results. A pair of IG2T's and a DB 18H sub would be a great sounding and light rig. The tops are right around 28lbs and everyone I've talked to says they will beat a 12 inch and horn box hands down. I know my IG4T's crossed over at 100hz to a sub will out perform the 3 different 15 and horn boxes I currently have.

Give Mike Pyle a shout as he is a regular here and has competitive pricing.

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/ingenia/ingenia-ig2t/

http://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/sub-series/sub-18h/

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=db+ig2t&view=detail&mid=8A11582848494C524AFE8A11582848494C524AFE&FORM=VIRE

Douglas R. Allen

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services

I upgraded from original QSC K12s to DXR10s.
Sound great. Get plenty loud (for me) and my back is much happier. Oh, and they pack in a smaller space.
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 25 queries.