ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: More rig for the gig than we need? Upgrading to smaller size and better quality  (Read 7748 times)

jesseweiss

We are a weekend warrior cover band of 50 year olds, been together for over 30 years. We do small bar gigs and community events and we've been running a Mackie SRM system (2 550's and 1 1850 sub) for about 4 years.  It fit our needs as a way of upgrading from Behringer stuff on a budget, as I got them used.

With the addition of getting an XR18 and all the processing it provides, upgraded monitors (DBR10's), and all I've learned from this forum we sound good for the gigs we do, from our perspective and that of audiences.

What I've noticed lately is I'm able to get a lot more GBF with the system than I used to since I know a lot more about running sound than I used to, and I'm actually finding that we don't really push the system at all to get the volume and sound quality we need (typical band in the park stuff). Any place we play that needs more has a PA we use.

So..... I'm considering upgrading by downsizing (and possibly improving sound quality) and was looking for feedback, particularly moving to 10" mains from 12's.

One option would be to go with k10.2's over their new KS112. The k10.2's are lighter than our SRM's, the KS112 smaller than our sub and with casters.  This isn't a cheap option but would provide some size/weight relief and better sound quality.

Another option, would be the new EV ELX200 line as their 10" full range are lighter than the k10.2's and the 12" sub is very light and small, small enough we could use 2 if needed.

Taylor Hall

You'll find a lot of love for the DSR110 here, while not incredibly light, it is incredibly compact and VERY capable in numerous scenarios. I'm not a huge fan of QSC's SOS offerings, especially at their price point.

As for subs, you may find yourself wishing you had that 18" driver, especially compared to the KS112. Every event I've seen with those deployed have been underwhelming in terms of output. Its a super neat design and would work pretty well in a smaller confined space, but your application of bar gigs and outdoor events would probably highlight these shortcomings where you really need a fair bit of grunt to punch through bodies and open air.

The equipment you're talking about is fairly common, so you could probably find a place to rent from and try for yourself, especially the QSC stuff. It might be a good place to start to test out on a gig, or at least demo it in person to A/B against your current rig.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Patrick Cognitore

The models you mention as a potential upgrade path seem like more of a lateral move to me. What is your highest priority with changing speakers - lighter weight, smaller size, improved sound quality? And what is your budget?

I will say that my perception of 'band in the park' type gigs seems to be pretty different than what you've described. So I can't really comment on whether a smaller system will continue to meet your needs.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.

Bear in mind that if you wish to upgrade it requires a lot of $$$ or it could end up as a lateral move.

Personally I would look for a small used system from one of the major manufacturers.

jesseweiss

The models you mention as a potential upgrade path seem like more of a lateral move to me. What is your highest priority with changing speakers - lighter weight, smaller size, improved sound quality? And what is your budget?

I will say that my perception of 'band in the park' type gigs seems to be pretty different than what you've described. So I can't really comment on whether a smaller system will continue to meet your needs.

I should say "small local band in a small park" gigs LOL.  So 50-100 people watching while eating at a community fair.

I know they are mostly a lateral move, other than possibly improved sound quality with a new/better speaker and potentially size/weight savings.

It's not a necessary move, but rather something I'm considering to save our backs :).

jesseweiss

Bear in mind that if you wish to upgrade it requires a lot of $$$ or it could end up as a lateral move.

Personally I would look for a small used system from one of the major manufacturers.

My budget is around $3,000, after selling the SRM stuff I'm hoping to get it closer to $2k.  Used is a possibility.

Steve Litcher

• MixMasters Podcast

I'm not aware of a DSR110 offering - only the DSR112 (amazing) and DSR115. There's a DZR10 now, but it's quite a bit more expensive.

Speaking of expense... This might be just slightly above your budget, but if you shop around and ask about discounts from your local retailer (or contact Mike Pyle!!), I'd do something like:

2x DXR10 (very capable and light weight) on tripods
1x JTR Captivator 212 Pro (active)

Very compact system, but very potent. Put the C212Pro in the center of the stage and you'll be duly impressed.

Mike Santarelli

I’d consider the RCF evox 12. 

Sean Anderson

Very compact system, but very potent. Put the C212Pro in the center of the stage and you'll be duly impressed.

I second the captivator 212 suggestion. I routinely do inside shows the size you mentioned with 1 of them.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

... I'd do something like:

I have what could be considered a similar system -
2x DSR112
2x PRX815XLFW

and it sounds fantastic! The PRX 15" subs are only 51lbs and are surprisingly easy to manage due to excellent handle placement. And of course the DSR112's are well known around here. Total cost new with speaker covers, stands, etc, was around $3k. DXR10's or even better DZR10's would weigh a little less (and the DZR10's prob sound better than the DSR112's). The captivator weights a bit more than a single PRX815 sub, but would be a breeze with two people and I'm sure it sounds amazing...

Frankly a system like the above should get you about as good a sound as practical for any event up to 100-200 people.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2019, 02:20:57 PM by Mark Scrivener »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.