ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shure Axient vs ULXD  (Read 8543 times)

Andrien (No Last Name)

Re: Shure Axient vs ULXD
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2020, 10:08:07 PM »

Hi Andrien-

I'm confused.  Why would your church techs need to change frequencies?  "Portable" church that never uses the same venue again?  That travels 50-100 miles?

I agree that QLX-D is a big audio and RF step up from SLX.  We over-hire Axient when we run out of our Sennheisers and I prefer the Axient until we get into the Senny 3000-5000 series when, from an audio standpoint, they are roughly equals AND the Axient is less money.

Our church is just exactly beside another Church (about 100meters) which also uses lots of wireless microphone, and we do not coordinate on our frequency especially during big events like Christmas or Good Friday. Not only that, our country is also not known for having strong laws in regards to stray frequency. The law in regards to Wireless Mic is pretty much useless as no body follows that, and there are not clear allocation between TV channels and open channels, this made worse by those Chinese fake wireless mic that we do not even know which frequency it actually uses without a scanner.

There is one time we have do freq coordination and testing with Workbench but on the day itself the mics fail 8) . I do not have a proper tools for scanning (only use RTL-SDR) so that might be the reason also (I do calibrate that RTL-SDR with KAL and try to find one with quite good ppm oscillator).

As I'm doing this voluntarily, system like Axient will help a lot on automating frequency coordination and even better I could remote the system whenever trouble shall arise using OpenVPN. The fact that the church used to employ office boy as sound technician thus any tools that simplify technical troubleshooting should help a lot. There are one time where we use about 12 wireless microphone which some we rent and the rental guy doesn't do a good coordination, it under perform on actual Christmas day.

Sorry for my rants, our church just got conned a bit on our new line array system and right now the decision maker person are kinda pointing finger towards the problem. Also English is not my first language so sorry for any grammar or spelling mistake. Cheers

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2020, 10:27:51 PM »

Our church is just exactly beside another Church (about 100meters) which also uses lots of wireless microphone, and we do not coordinate on our frequency especially during big events like Christmas or Good Friday. Not only that, our country is also not known for having strong laws in regards to stray frequency. The law in regards to Wireless Mic is pretty much useless as no body follows that, and there are not clear allocation between TV channels and open channels, this made worse by those Chinese fake wireless mic that we do not even know which frequency it actually uses without a scanner.

There is one time we have do freq coordination and testing with Workbench but on the day itself the mics fail 8) . I do not have a proper tools for scanning (only use RTL-SDR) so that might be the reason also (I do calibrate that RTL-SDR with KAL and try to find one with quite good ppm oscillator).

As I'm doing this voluntarily, system like Axient will help a lot on automating frequency coordination and even better I could remote the system whenever trouble shall arise using OpenVPN. The fact that the church used to employ office boy as sound technician thus any tools that simplify technical troubleshooting should help a lot. There are one time where we use about 12 wireless microphone which some we rent and the rental guy doesn't do a good coordination, it under perform on actual Christmas day.

Sorry for my rants, our church just got conned a bit on our new line array system and right now the decision maker person are kinda pointing finger towards the problem. Also English is not my first language so sorry for any grammar or spelling mistake. Cheers

All good, Andrien!  It sounds like a more cooperative spirit with the neighboring church would help but I don't hold out great hope for it (why are churches so territorial?).
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2020, 03:31:05 AM »

All good, Andrien!  It sounds like a more cooperative spirit with the neighboring church would help but I don't hold out great hope for it (why are churches so territorial?).
Wish like that, but yeah different denomination so there's that (they're Catholic while ours Protestant). Got problem also with the councils, but I believe it is not professional to talk about that here tho.
I am actually B.Comp.Sci grads, and are not technically trained for sound engineering but doing this out of interest and hobby but with lack of techies in our church anyone with bits of tech knowledge will do. I'm grateful that our other churches' sound tech are very kind in sharing information with me, while I also help them a little bit on networking and computer knowledge.

Thomas Le

« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2020, 09:53:31 AM »

Hi Andrien, I volunteer at two catholic churches on weekends and it strikes me odd that a catholic church uses more wireless than a protestant church, I would imagine it would be the opposite. On two systems that I touch on, the max I work with is five, but not all five are on at the same time, unless you're factoring in the whole campus like the worship space and the activity hall.

Andrien (No Last Name)

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »

Hi Andrien, I volunteer at two catholic churches on weekends and it strikes me odd that a catholic church uses more wireless than a protestant church, I would imagine it would be the opposite. On two systems that I touch on, the max I work with is five, but not all five are on at the same time, unless you're factoring in the whole campus like the worship space and the activity hall.

You won't believe it but my other Catholic church is actually more modern sounding than our church. AFAIK they have a band to play for modern worship, but their wireless is mostly used for drama during Christmas and Good Friday (and that's also when we do use a lot of Wireless mic). I am not sure how they work it out, but I got some idea on how much mic they use as my uncle used to help them purchase Shure wireless mic from Singapore. They do not have onsite campus, I think most churches here build another school/university separate from the church building as they do have quite a number of branches, like my church do have branches quite spread throughout west part of the country. One of my branch rent about 20 Mipro wireless microphone on one university drama session, not sure how much do they rent on the main event as I'm only helping there once. If only somebody can rent out Axient :sigh:.

I think I have been quite out of topic, lets go back to the main topic ;D.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2020, 09:23:25 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.