ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: RCF TT5s  (Read 726 times)

SteveMakka

RCF TT5s
« on: May 31, 2019, 10:20:03 pm »

Apologies,newbie to the forum here.

We currently have 4 RCF TT5 in Hire stock, when we purchased the first pair all was good, when we bought the second all was good with them, 2 month after the we bought the second pair as we were that impressed with the first we had two amp failures, both replaced with new amp units under warranty. We always use RD Net which obviously gives full monitoring of the speakers, however weíve hooked 2 (one repaired one and one original) of them up today and found the woofer on the TT5 were flashing red at a volume I wouldnít expect, we use them over 9007s and the subs donít sweat, as does non of the rest of the TT5 just the woofer.... itís set on preset L2 which weíve almost always used . Not sure if itís me just me getting used to them but to listen to they defiantly sound less powerful and weíve done loads of gigs where they havenít even flashed yellow let alone red... anyone have any insight, we always keep them up to date with firmware etc.  Thanks in advance

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: RCF TT5s
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2019, 04:43:20 pm »

Apologies,newbie to the forum here.

We currently have 4 RCF TT5 in Hire stock, when we purchased the first pair all was good, when we bought the second all was good with them, 2 month after the we bought the second pair as we were that impressed with the first we had two amp failures, both replaced with new amp units under warranty. We always use RD Net which obviously gives full monitoring of the speakers, however weíve hooked 2 (one repaired one and one original) of them up today and found the woofer on the TT5 were flashing red at a volume I wouldnít expect, we use them over 9007s and the subs donít sweat, as does non of the rest of the TT5 just the woofer.... itís set on preset L2 which weíve almost always used . Not sure if itís me just me getting used to them but to listen to they defiantly sound less powerful and weíve done loads of gigs where they havenít even flashed yellow let alone red... anyone have any insight, we always keep them up to date with firmware etc.  Thanks in advance

What does RCF have to say about it?
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

SteveMakka

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2019, 06:47:23 pm »

What does RCF have to say about it?

Iíve sent them an email but when the amp units went on them they never even replied to my email voicing my concerns, Iím just wondering if a firmware update has affected them in anyway. Hopefully Iíll get an email back sometime on Monday

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2019, 12:38:22 pm »

Iíve sent them an email but when the amp units went on them they never even replied to my email voicing my concerns, Iím just wondering if a firmware update has affected them in anyway. Hopefully Iíll get an email back sometime on Monday

We've had a couple of amplifier issues with RDF's dbTechnologies speaker systems, 1 under warranty (they shipped a new amp bucket), and 2 that were serviced locally as they were out of warranty and RCF/dbT pricing on service wasn't realistic for us.

Let us know how this sorts out, Steve.
"Practicing an art, no matter how well or badly, is a way to make your soul grow, for heaven's sake. Sing in the shower. Dance to the radio. Tell stories. Write a poem to a friend, even a lousy poem. Do it as well as you possible can. You will get an enormous reward. You will have created something."  - Kurt Vonnegut

Steve Litscher

• 608 Sound and Light
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2019, 01:12:01 pm »

This is my #1 fear with RCF gear... amplifier issues.

I had some brand new HD32-A that had major amplifier issues - one amp was DOA (new), and the other popped the fuse as soon as I powered it on. Sent them both back for an exchange, and was never happy with their sound, so they got returned.

A local production company has had to replace a few of their TTL6-A amplifiers for various issues, and another friend in Peoria had to have his new NX45-A amplifier replaced because of a "cold solder joint" issue (according to RCF).

My brand new TT5-A arrived a few weeks ago, and one of the amplifiers had all of its informational stickers applied upside down. Doesn't affect performance, but it made me question what's going on over there. Knocking on wood that they stay healthy.

I attempted to contact RCF via e-mail, but never had any luck. I did find they responded to my Facebook messenger inquiry, although it took 4-5 days each time.

Hope your TT5 get sorted quickly. Keep us in the loop, please.

SteveMakka

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 07:23:25 pm »

Well I've had them to a gig tonight that i've done a few times and they were flashing red red red, i hadn't even seen the red on the back or on RDNET the previous times i've done the very same gig, maybe flash yellow once or twice... really concerned now i've wasted thousands on speakers that aren't fit for purpose and with all them doing it I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the replacement modules... now i know i'm gonna sound like a crazy person here and i have absolutely no proof of this but could a company issue a firmware update to effectively made the speaker preform worse, not sound worse but preform worse, there's nothing wrong with the sound. Even the roadie who works for me weekly has noticed the issue im having and when talking to him he basically said Apple did it so i'm pretty sure others can. Still no email reply from RCF and if i'm honest i'm not expecting one either.... 

on a side note those with TT5s what settings do you find work?

Steve Litscher

• 608 Sound and Light
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2019, 10:11:08 am »

Well I've had them to a gig tonight that i've done a few times and they were flashing red red red, i hadn't even seen the red on the back or on RDNET the previous times i've done the very same gig, maybe flash yellow once or twice... really concerned now i've wasted thousands on speakers that aren't fit for purpose and with all them doing it I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with the replacement modules... now i know i'm gonna sound like a crazy person here and i have absolutely no proof of this but could a company issue a firmware update to effectively made the speaker preform worse, not sound worse but preform worse, there's nothing wrong with the sound. Even the roadie who works for me weekly has noticed the issue im having and when talking to him he basically said Apple did it so i'm pretty sure others can. Still no email reply from RCF and if i'm honest i'm not expecting one either.... 

on a side note those with TT5s what settings do you find work?

Iím using the latest firmware (.31? I think?), L1, and nearly flat EQ. They sound really fantastic (so far).

Iím a bit confused by your dilemma - are you concerned with something youíre seeing in RDNet? Or the performance or sound?

If itís just RDNet, are you using an Ethercon cable to connect between the RD Control and the speaker?

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 11:58:14 am »

Call Mike Misko, he runs the service department over at RCF USA. Great guy who will take care of you post haste.

Things may be a bit hectic this week with Infocomm going on, though.

https://www.rcf.it/regional-offices/usa-staff

Bad Quail
Sound + Light
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealers for all this stuff

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber