ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experiences with LTE modems  (Read 1637 times)

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Experiences with LTE modems
« on: May 30, 2019, 11:54:14 PM »

I'm looking at a mobile church situation where video is "live" streamed (cloud DVR) and it's looking like the Internet install may not be complete in time.  I'm wondering if anyone has experience with LTE modems.  I'd be bringing it into a standard firewall via wired connection.

It's entirely possible that even if it's a good reliable solution that it won't have the available bandwidth and I do have a secondary plan for that.  There are some non-production IT needs on this site though that even a relatively low bandwidth LTE connection might be useful for so any experience you've had would be useful to me.

Thanks!
~Erik

Jordan Wolf

Re: Experiences with LTE modems
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 12:17:18 PM »

We've used Cradlepoint units with success, as long as cell coverage is good (we had Verizon as the carrier) our up/down was stable.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »

You'll want an LTE modem with dual SIMs, load balancing and carrier/tower aggregation.

Very common in the full time RV community with tech workers or folks who demand to stream HD video/TV in the middle of nowhere (or somewhere with crappy WiFi, like RV campgrounds).

Talk to your LTE providers and ask how they handle high volumes of uplink (as most users are on the downlink side) data.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Daniel Levi

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2019, 03:35:52 PM »

And was done (via multiple modems/carriers for redundancy) for the 2012 Olympics torch parade.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 10:48:21 PM »

I use LTE modems all the time as backup internet connections.  When the main connection goes down, the LTE connection is there to save the day, albeit slower.

A couple of things to be concerned with.  First is signal strength at your location.  If there's no signal or weak signal, then game over.  Second is throughput at that location.  Cell carriers will often throttle connections depending on the load the tower is seeing.  Back when LTE was new, I was able to get a speed test in the 50 meg down, 20 meg up range.  It was awesome.  Now, as more people are on it, it's usually more like 5 meg down, 1 meg up.  Enough for most uses, but nowhere near the maximum bandwith capabilities.

The other thing you need to make sure you check is your bandwidth limits.  Many carriers will throttle you after a certain amount of data usage for the month.  You don't want that happening on you mid show!
Brian Jojade

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2019, 12:14:32 AM »

You'll want an LTE modem with dual SIMs, load balancing and carrier/tower aggregation.

Very common in the full time RV community with tech workers or folks who demand to stream HD video/TV in the middle of nowhere (or somewhere with crappy WiFi, like RV campgrounds).

Talk to your LTE providers and ask how they handle high volumes of uplink (as most users are on the downlink side) data.

Any idea how dual sim load balancing works on a single stream?  Is it like LAG groups between switches where a single data stream is still limited to running across a single link?

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2019, 12:42:30 PM »

Any idea how dual sim load balancing works on a single stream?  Is it like LAG groups between switches where a single data stream is still limited to running across a single link?

I've no clue how the magic voodoo is done.  I know it works on the downlink side.  Perhaps a PM to Scott Holtzman, or maybe Henry Cohen can explain...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »

I've no clue how the magic voodoo is done.  I know it works on the downlink side.  Perhaps a PM to Scott Holtzman, or maybe Henry Cohen can explain...

I thought you had to do some type of layer 2 intervention to load balance streams or indeed they will be anchored to a session.  Essentially a VPN they chop the data up and reassembled at the other end.

This is how the streaming works on A&E's Live PD.  Technology is from Peplink. 

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2019, 05:34:09 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.