ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Any first time cautions w/ Danley TH Mini + Crown XLS2500 combo?  (Read 3982 times)

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: Any first time cautions w/ Danley TH Mini + Crown XLS2500 combo?
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 08:17:19 PM »

It came to me a little later, how on earth did I (we?) ever make it through the last 40 years in audio with w/o limiters?
:>)
Cost of "education" was a toasted driver now and then.
You learn real quick when "enough is enough".....
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 09:20:40 PM »

Wayne - I tried this using a Powersoft M30 (similar rating) and surprisingly fried the TH-Mini driver pretty quickly.  I didn't think we were rockin' at the time

Too tightly limited and never coming out of limit means a mostly continuous voltage being applied to the voice coil.  With live music the duty cycle is fairly low and voice coils have some thermal recovery time; that's what isn't there in a too-tight "protection" system.  if you got the coil sufficiently hot for long enough it was a certain failure.

It came to me a little later, how on earth did I (we?) ever make it through the last 40 years in audio with w/o limiters?
Chris.
What Chris said.  Blown compression driver diaphragms, torn up 18s, shredded lows... those were the cost of tuition at the Ye Olde Skool of Harde Knox.  You learned what a system under stress sounded like, each pass band of it.  You developed a concept of time, i.e. "if they finish on time, it will survive; if they play a double encore the 15s are toast".  "Amp is staying in clip longer, gotta get that down or next will be output transistors and protect lights."

This is one of the reasons I say it's a great time to be in audio.  A self powered system will do what it does and that's it.  Sure, it might sound nasty when the all warning lights are on but there's a good chance it will live to see another gig if the issue is addressed quickly.  You can still break it but it takes more persistence...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Steve Crump

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 09:27:15 PM »

Wayne - I tried this using a Powersoft M30 (similar rating) and surprisingly fried the TH-Mini driver pretty quickly.  I didn't think we were rockin' at the time

I may be looking at the wrong spec sheets, but it seems the M30 is twice the power that the XLS2500 offers. Correct me if I am wrong.

Steve Crump

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 09:57:13 PM »

Frank and or Ivan,

At the risk of hijacking this post, is “continuous” and “long term” speaker rating considered the same? I am reading the manual on the Crown Macro Tech I series that I am using and Crown uses the term “long term” and the manufacture of the speaker states “continuous” and I just want to make sure I have an understanding.

Thanks,

Steve

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 01:34:48 AM »

I may be looking at the wrong spec sheets, but it seems the M30 is twice the power that the XLS2500 offers. Correct me if I am wrong.
Assuming I'm reading -and applying- the specs correctly 'apples to apples', I'm seeing the M30 3000 watts bridged at 8 ohms?
My previous config has been a pair of EV ZX3-90s and the TH Mini sharing a single QSC 1804 -leaving both slightly under powered.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 01:38:12 AM by Wayne Smith2 »

Wayne Smith2

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 01:49:32 AM »

Frank and or Ivan,

At the risk of hijacking this post, is “continuous” and “long term” speaker rating considered the same? I am reading the manual on the Crown Macro Tech I series that I am using and Crown uses the term “long term” and the manufacture of the speaker states “continuous” and I just want to make sure I have an understanding.

Thanks,

Steve

And I'm taking this from another Danley spec, and Ivan's previous post to hart. "Please note “Continuous” does not mean “forever”!" . I.e. music with ebb and flow vs ..well, not. :>)
« Last Edit: June 02, 2019, 02:00:37 AM by Wayne Smith2 »

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 06:49:46 AM »

.  You developed a concept of time, i.e. "if they finish on time, it will survive; if they play a double encore the 15s are toast".  "Amp is staying in clip longer, gotta get that down or next will be output transistors and protect lights."

Back in Flame Linear and DC300A dayz, it was rather obvious when an amp was unhappy..... didn't need no stinking "protect" lighty thingy's.
Usually cost a string of drivers too.

Today's youngins have life way too easy.
Hey, I'm old, but I'm not obsolete.
My first PA was a Bogen CHB50, and a couple of Geloso columns.
4 4x8 drivers, in a 5 high "line array" "box"
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 08:44:23 AM »

My first PA was a Bogen CHB50,
I had a CHB50 that I used as a guitar amp, but replaced the 6L6s with 5881s.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 10:27:32 AM »

Chris.

We were also on a first name basis with a local speaker reconing guy and had him on speed dial as we called upon him often!  Or we learned how to do it in house.
This space for rent

Steve Crump

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »

Assuming I'm reading -and applying- the specs correctly 'apples to apples', I'm seeing the M30 3000 watts bridged at 8 ohms?
My previous config has been a pair of EV ZX3-90s and the TH Mini sharing a single QSC 1804 -leaving both slightly under powered.

Yeah, I read it the same as you. I used the Crown XLS2500 bridged to power a Yorkville UCS1 and never had any issues. The first year I had this setup, (because I didn’t know better), I never even turned on the clip limiters. The Yorkville wasn’t rated as high as the TH Mini, at least according to the info on the net. This was used for live music and back ground music for events. No DJing, EDM, etc...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 01:07:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.