ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sub-$500 Passive Monitor Suggestions  (Read 3088 times)

Tim Tyler

• Richmond, Va USA
Re: Sub-$500 Passive Monitor Suggestions
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 08:06:39 PM »

Turbosound Madrid.  They compare favorably to the JBL SRX712m, and can be had for under $500.  I bought one a few weeks ago (after a previous thread by another poster) just to find out if they were worth a hoot, and did a bit of listening side by side with one of my 712s (I own 12 of these...).  I simply switched the speaker cable from box to box.  Full range, only.

I powered them each with one side of a NU6000 (X32 mixer) and played various tunes for a couple of hours as loud as 115 db @ 4', A, C and non-weighted, fast and slow.  They sounded quite similar, get loud and stay clean, I heard no distortion, with no EQ or High Pass used.  The difference I noticed with the Madrid was a SLIGHT "honkiness" in the lo mid area, relative to the 712.

I went back a few days ago and did some more listening under the same situation and decided to EQ the Turbo to try for a close match to the JBL sound quality.  I swept the lo-mids (12 db added gain) to the Madrid and found the maximum "honkiness" at 170 hz and ended up cutting 170 hz by 9 db, Q of 3.  This came very close to the sound of the 712, certainly quite doable for gigs requiring the performance of a 712.  IMO

I'm going to take the Madrid to a gig in June and replace one of my JBLs in order to give it the acid test...

Cheers,

-Tim T

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 11:51:06 PM »

Another vote for scoping the used market. It wasn't too long ago that JBL switched their lines from the "7" series to the "8" series, QSC Kx to Kx.2, etc. All those recently discontinued model lines took a big hit in resale value when that happened.

Not too long ago I picked up a pair of EV SXa250's for $600, with stands. I think they were over a grand EACH when new...and they are still great speakers. Local listings (Craig's List, word of mouth, etc) are usually where the deals are at.

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 12:26:52 AM »

I’ve got 12 EAW LA-215 that can be had for way less than $500 each. Great wedges with extras. Contact me if any interest.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Augustine Ortiz

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2019, 01:49:24 PM »

Huge thanks for all the great info!

Definitely a few that I didn't consider.  The breakdown on power (PRX vs. Club) by Luke Geis really brings up some interesting points. I would like to continue running my Behringer iNuke NU4-6000 4-channel power amp, which doesn't provide a lot of power but makes for a compact rig.   So that lends itself into the Yamaha Club's favor.

Looks like a lot of the others really need some power to get going.  And I do need some high decibels.  However, I have been running some super crappy Seismic Audio monitors that get the job done.  So I am hoping the Club's will be an upgrade from those.

Used market unfortunately is pretty much impossible in my location without significant travel or shipping costs.  But I do check regularly.

Matt Greiner

« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2019, 01:55:33 PM »

Used market unfortunately is pretty much impossible in my location without significant travel or shipping costs.  But I do check regularly.

What is your market?  Maybe you'll get lucky and a fellow PSWer will be in your area with some used gear to purchase, or even demo.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »

Huge thanks for all the great info!

Definitely a few that I didn't consider.  The breakdown on power (PRX vs. Club) by Luke Geis really brings up some interesting points. I would like to continue running my Behringer iNuke NU4-6000 4-channel power amp, which doesn't provide a lot of power but makes for a compact rig.   So that lends itself into the Yamaha Club's favor.

Looks like a lot of the others really need some power to get going.  And I do need some high decibels.  However, I have been running some super crappy Seismic Audio monitors that get the job done.  So I am hoping the Club's will be an upgrade from those.

Seismic - it's Shit-tastic!  Had a buddy report on a band he heard that has a Seismic "lyin' array" and said it sounded worse than he'd expected.  Could be the box or the deployment or both.

The Yamaha CM12V is your best bet, followed by the Turbosound Madrid. 
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2019, 02:34:48 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.028 seconds with 23 queries.