ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Multiband comp vs Dynamic EQ?  (Read 4584 times)

dave briar

• Helena Montana, USA
Re: Multiband comp vs Dynamic EQ?
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2019, 03:10:12 PM »

Perhaps describe the problem(s) you are trying to fix.
Mine was mostly an academic question as I don’t have access to either  :-\.  The main thing I can see using it for is the classic taming a female vocal up near 2,800. I mainly mix whatever band gets booked and so like to keep it simple but see that need commonly.  In a more sophisticated role I’ve seen a C6 used on an instrument group with the sidechain trigger of (I believe) an entire vocal group to help carve out space for the vocals.  That would be interesting to play with for the few bands I mix repeatedly and have mature show files for.
..db

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2019, 05:06:19 PM »

Perhaps describe the problem(s) you are trying to fix.

I am not the OP but the problem I have been trying to fix is when doing a musical theater show there are times when the teenage girls all singing together get loud and screechy. The loud part is supposed to be that way the screechy part isn’t, it is due to lack of training and talent in general. I have been using 2 Midas M32 mixers for these shows and I have used the Combinator in these mixers which seems to be a multiband compressor and it helps but I think I could do better with a Dynamic EQ instead. But that is not available in these mixers.

I feel I am in general a purist and always shoot for what goes in is what comes out. I have never felt the need for a Dynamic EQ or a Multiband compressor in any concert work I do just in the theatrical shows.   

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2019, 01:07:20 PM »

I am not the OP but the problem I have been trying to fix is when doing a musical theater show there are times when the teenage girls all singing together get loud and screechy. The loud part is supposed to be that way the screechy part isn’t, it is due to lack of training and talent in general. I have been using 2 Midas M32 mixers for these shows and I have used the Combinator in these mixers which seems to be a multiband compressor and it helps but I think I could do better with a Dynamic EQ instead. But that is not available in these mixers.

I feel I am in general a purist and always shoot for what goes in is what comes out. I have never felt the need for a Dynamic EQ or a Multiband compressor in any concert work I do just in the theatrical shows.   

May I ask why you think you'd be better off with a MBC than a DEQ?

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2019, 01:27:26 PM »

I do not recognize "screechy" as an objective technical description.  ;D You suggest it has something to do with technique and experience so can I speculate it is dissonance from poor harmony? I don't know how to mitigate that with dynamic level or eq processing.

Is it possible to give the best singer in the group more level and the lesser singers less level, to reduce the interference which is worst case for all getting equal level. Of course this is just a WAG. Maybe you could capture a multitrack recording of the crew and mess around offline with alternate remedies.
Good luck but some things are difficult to fix even with technology..

JR

PS: FWIW last century I speculated about "smart" mixing systems that could read the mind of inexperienced operators, and give them what they didn't even know they wanted. EQ and mix levels would target a template of some common (good) musical mixes.  Of course this was impractical, because entry level inexperienced operators are unwilling and incapable of paying the premium prices such processing power would require. 
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2019, 03:07:03 PM »

May I ask why you think you'd be better off with a MBC than a DEQ?

I said the complete opposite of that. I said "I think I could do better with a Dynamic EQ instead."

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 03:27:09 PM »

I do not recognize "screechy" as an objective technical description.  ;D You suggest it has something to do with technique and experience so can I speculate it is dissonance from poor harmony? I don't know how to mitigate that with dynamic level or eq processing.

Is it possible to give the best singer in the group more level and the lesser singers less level, to reduce the interference which is worst case for all getting equal level. Of course this is just a WAG. Maybe you could capture a multitrack recording of the crew and mess around offline with alternate remedies. Good luck but some things are difficult to fix even with technology..

JR

PS: FWIW last century I speculated about "smart" mixing systems that could read the mind of inexperienced operators, and give them what they didn't even know they wanted. EQ and mix levels would target a template of some common (good) musical mixes.  Of course this was impractical, because entry level inexperienced operators are unwilling and incapable of paying the premium prices such processing power would require.

From Websters Dictionary -
screech - /skrēCH/ - a shrill, high pitched, harsh shriek or sound. screechy adj.

If you had ever had to deal with a bunch of teenage girls in some of the musicals I have done you would probably understood what I mean. Or if you were ever around an exuberant bunch of teenage girls you would know what I am trying to describe. I don't want the sound system to linearly amplify this sound so I feel a dynamic EQ could help tame it better. If I don't do something like I have recently I get complaints from some people in the audience. And it really is uncomfortable to have to listen to.

Edit to add: They have NO control of their dynamics, this is the lack of training. At these times they are just screaming (screeching) at the top of their lungs.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:30:34 PM by Kevin Maxwell »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 03:42:48 PM »

if it is just HF,  de-essers have been around forever... most are just a fast attack/fast release wideband limiter with a bandpass in the side chain making it responsive to just HF content.   

Maybe take the teenage girls out drinking and smoking the night before so their vocal cords thicken up and make their voices lower.  :o

I repeat maybe grab a multi track recording of the regular suspects and experiment offline.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »

I am not the OP but the problem I have been trying to fix is when doing a musical theater show there are times when the teenage girls all singing together get loud and screechy. The loud part is supposed to be that way the screechy part isn’t, it is due to lack of training and talent in general. I have been using 2 Midas M32 mixers for these shows and I have used the Combinator in these mixers which seems to be a multiband compressor and it helps but I think I could do better with a Dynamic EQ instead.

That second highest band in the Combinator is a useful tool. On the LS-9, I would enable a de-esser and pull the threshold and the frequency down.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2019, 10:57:00 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.