ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment operator certifications?  (Read 8315 times)

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Equipment operator certifications?
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2023, 12:32:31 PM »

Looking at freelancing some jobs over the summer and have repeatedly been asked for a forklift and boom lift certification. We don't own either, but have access to several contractor's lifts to train on.

Are the $50 online certifications relevant here?

What are big boy production companies looking for?

I'm wondering what the gigs are... Are they hiring you to be the forklift operator as well as audio, or is it more of a labour call? I wouldn't go after the certification unless it's a skill you are prepared to develop.

Matt

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2023, 02:42:39 PM »

I'm wondering what the gigs are... Are they hiring you to be the forklift operator as well as audio, or is it more of a labour call? I wouldn't go after the certification unless it's a skill you are prepared to develop.

Matt
Considering that the OP posted this almost 4 years ago he may have been lucky enough to get certification and use that for all those "alternate income" sources we had to figure out during the pandemic!
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Scott Helmke

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2023, 05:18:57 PM »

Sometimes it's just a matter of being prepared.  I remember one ballroom gig where we were only allowed to use the house lift if we could show a safety training card, which luckily one of the techs had.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2023, 09:26:36 PM »

Considering that the OP posted this almost 4 years ago he may have been lucky enough to get certification and use that for all those "alternate income" sources we had to figure out during the pandemic!

Ah jeez! didn't even realize it was a zombie post!

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2023, 11:57:04 PM »

Ah jeez! didn't even realize it was a zombie post!

#1 I'm the OPand I'm still around and doing well, thanks.
#2 this is still a valid topic
#3 apparently we haven't gotten any further down the road in the past 4 years. Maybe meet up again in another 4?

Having a fork cert is handy when you're a festival crew chief SM or PM in case you need to jump on a piece of equipment and contribute to the group effort on a show. Insurance companies like certifications. Also, my being a qualified individual allows me to quickly train my guys to do more and help them make more money when I hire them out as equipment ops instead of laborers.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Andy King

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2023, 06:57:52 PM »

I have a boom lift operators certificate. Over here (UK) the only way to get certified it to do a recognised training course. Takes about a day and covers theory, health & safety and safe operation. There is a short multiple choice test and a practical exam. Fail either and you dont get certified. The ticket is only valid for the same category of equipment you trained on (although size doesnt matter) eg drivable boom lift, stationary boom lift, scissor lift. You can do all 3 in a day and the licence is valid for 5 years and industry recognised.
I dont think a $50 online course is worth doing. I bet it doesnt tell you how to rescue someone if the hydraulics fail. And learning how to operate them safely in a crowded environment takes a little practice. Get it wrong and you can kill someone. Get proper training and do it safely. :)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2023, 03:55:28 PM by Andy King »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2023, 06:57:52 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.