ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Equipment operator certifications?  (Read 8314 times)

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
Equipment operator certifications?
« on: May 29, 2019, 06:30:38 PM »

Looking at freelancing some jobs over the summer and have repeatedly been asked for a forklift and boom lift certification. We don't own either, but have access to several contractor's lifts to train on.

Are the $50 online certifications relevant here?

What are big boy production companies looking for?
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Re: Equipment operator certifications?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 08:21:28 PM »

Probably mostly an excuse to force you to hire their own operators at twice the hourly rate.
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

Brian Adams

• Adams Production Services
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2019, 10:28:59 AM »

As far as I'm aware, the only "forklift training" someone needs is to be told about how to operate them and how dangerous they can be, then operate one while someone who knows how to run it watches over. Boom, certified operator. Not much to it, hardly any regulations, and I think anyone charging money for "certification" is riding the line between ethical and scam. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I think the regulations are even looser for boom lifts.

If you know someone with this equipment, ask if they'll talk to you about how to run it and let you try them out. Then you'll be "certified", at least in OSHA's eyes. I suppose some states might have stricter requirements than OSHA, but I don't know. Companies can have their own policies as well.
Brian Adams
Adams Production Services
Vermillion, SD
adamsproductionservices.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2019, 11:27:16 AM »

As far as I'm aware, the only "forklift training" someone needs is to be told about how to operate them and how dangerous they can be, then operate one while someone who knows how to run it watches over. Boom, certified operator. Not much to it, hardly any regulations, and I think anyone charging money for "certification" is riding the line between ethical and scam. Just my opinion, but I could be wrong.

I think the regulations are even looser for boom lifts.

If you know someone with this equipment, ask if they'll talk to you about how to run it and let you try them out. Then you'll be "certified", at least in OSHA's eyes. I suppose some states might have stricter requirements than OSHA, but I don't know. Companies can have their own policies as well.

I dunno, Brian, does SD regulate anything at all?  There's a reason all the retired RVers get "domicile" in SD...

I have a lift truck cert/card.  It's valid for the make and model I was tested on.  The classroom part was about an hour, with a video and power point, a written test, and then an operator skills evaluation.  The entire process for a class of 10 took about 4 hours.

Boom lifts, elevated work platforms, etc all have separate tests and the cert is valid only for the make and model the worker is tested on.  The reality is that most employers of itinerant labor don't care about that so long as the worker has a current cert for substantially similar equipment.  Is the _insert brand name here_ 50 ft boom lift significantly different from their 65 foot lift?  Probably not, and that's why the employer sees the cert as functionally interchangeable (even if they're not).

For the Benefit of Mr. Hite - sign up for a physical training session, not the on-line version unless you're already a competent lift operator and just need the card in your pocket.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Jerome Malsack

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2019, 11:28:58 AM »

It is also an insurance liability issue for the venue. 

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2019, 11:40:24 AM »

I had to get a forklift certificate at a contractor I used to work for. Similar to Tim McCulloch's group class situation, but the card was not model specific.

If you have a relationship with a contractor that has the equipment, ask them what certification if any their operators have. Otherwise you might check with equipment rental companies about the process.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2019, 04:36:08 PM »

Thanks Mr McCulloch.

The live training has been the rub here. The online certs say take their course and then have your company's qualified individual sign off on your driving skills test. Haven't found anyone who will hold themselves out as qualified in that regard. I get a lot of blank looks from construction folks when I ask about life certifications.

Meantime, I've spoken to three HR departments and none of them can seem to define what they are looking for when they ask if I'm forklift certified.

I dunno, Brian, does SD regulate anything at all?  There's a reason all the retired RVers get "domicile" in SD...

I have a lift truck cert/card.  It's valid for the make and model I was tested on.  The classroom part was about an hour, with a video and power point, a written test, and then an operator skills evaluation.  The entire process for a class of 10 took about 4 hours.

Boom lifts, elevated work platforms, etc all have separate tests and the cert is valid only for the make and model the worker is tested on.  The reality is that most employers of itinerant labor don't care about that so long as the worker has a current cert for substantially similar equipment.  Is the _insert brand name here_ 50 ft boom lift significantly different from their 65 foot lift?  Probably not, and that's why the employer sees the cert as functionally interchangeable (even if they're not).

For the Benefit of Mr. Hite - sign up for a physical training session, not the on-line version unless you're already a competent lift operator and just need the card in your pocket.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2019, 06:10:23 PM »

Cal OSHA rules are often different (and typically more stringent) than federal OSHA regs. I suggest that you contact Cal OSHA and see what they tell you is required vs what is recommended.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2019, 06:45:34 PM »

Cal OSHA rules are often different (and typically more stringent) than federal OSHA regs. I suggest that you contact Cal OSHA and see what they tell you is required vs what is recommended.

https://www.certifyme.net/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp9Kvm6rE4gIVB-DICh1mkwkMEAAYASAAEgJcD_D_BwE
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Steve Crump

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

Looking at freelancing some jobs over the summer and have repeatedly been asked for a forklift and boom lift certification. We don't own either, but have access to several contractor's lifts to train on.

Are the $50 online certifications relevant here?

Some of the rental companies offer certifications. Our guys have to have them to work in most of the manufacturing plants, if we are going to use any of this type of equipment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2019, 12:29:38 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 22 queries.