ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: advice on new projector  (Read 5128 times)

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
advice on new projector
« on: May 28, 2019, 07:34:23 AM »

Hi, I currently own a Acer H6517ST short throw projector that I use for corporate events, mostly with a 4x3 meters frame mounted screen (with both front and rear projection options available) that I rent from a friend when needed.
Since I'm getting more requests for this type of jobs lately, I'd like to upgrade to a new short throw projector with higher luminosity (4000 ansi lumens or higher? I want the projected material to be visible a couple of hours before complete sunset) and trapezoid correction on horizontal and vertical axis.
I'm not deeply acknowledged on the subject, so any technical advice/practical tip is more than welcome on which parameters I should take into account besides resolution and luminosity.

Thanks!

TJ (Tom) Cornish

• St. Paul, MN
Re: advice on new projector
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2019, 08:21:38 AM »

Hi, I currently own a Acer H6517ST short throw projector that I use for corporate events, mostly with a 4x3 meters frame mounted screen (with both front and rear projection options available) that I rent from a friend when needed.
Since I'm getting more requests for this type of jobs lately, I'd like to upgrade to a new short throw projector with higher luminosity (4000 ansi lumens or higher? I want the projected material to be visible a couple of hours before complete sunset) and trapezoid correction on horizontal and vertical axis.
I'm not deeply acknowledged on the subject, so any technical advice/practical tip is more than welcome on which parameters I should take into account besides resolution and luminosity.

Thanks!
I routinely use 4500 lumen projectors with 4m x 2.5m rear projection screens indoors in moderate light and they are OK. If you’re trying to use these outdoors even with the sun low in the sky you’re going to need A LOT more brightness. If you can rear project and box in the rear of the screen so that no sunlight washes the projected side of the screen you might be sort-of OK with 10,000 lumens.  You will find the cost of 10,000 lumen projectors to be significantly more than the cost of projectors in the 4000-5000 lumen range.

Laser light sources are preferable to discharge lamps. Even cheap projectors have 2 dimensional keystone adjustment in the digital domain. Larger/more expensive projectors do some or all of this in the optical domain, but again that adds significantly to the cost.

If you can give us a range you’d be willing to spend on this, that would help foster a realistic discussion.

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2019, 11:50:00 AM »

I routinely use 4500 lumen projectors with 4m x 2.5m rear projection screens indoors in moderate light and they are OK. If you’re trying to use these outdoors even with the sun low in the sky you’re going to need A LOT more brightness. If you can rear project and box in the rear of the screen so that no sunlight washes the projected side of the screen you might be sort-of OK with 10,000 lumens.  You will find the cost of 10,000 lumen projectors to be significantly more than the cost of projectors in the 4000-5000 lumen range.

Laser light sources are preferable to discharge lamps. Even cheap projectors have 2 dimensional keystone adjustment in the digital domain. Larger/more expensive projectors do some or all of this in the optical domain, but again that adds significantly to the cost.

If you can give us a range you’d be willing to spend on this, that would help foster a realistic discussion.

Thanks for the reply. After some search, I see that 800 euros is the starting price for >4500 lumens short throw projectors, so I thought 1000 euros would be ok. After reading your reply I guess I'm far from any considerable upgrade, at least for outdoor gigs (for which rental becomes the no.1 option)
As for indoor events, do you think that upgrading from my current 3000 lumens projector to a 5000 unit would be a substantial improvement?

John L Nobile

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 01:14:13 PM »

Andrea Litti

• my FB page
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 01:51:21 PM »

I'm saving up for this one

https://www.necdisplay.com/p/NP-PH3501QL

Interesting but I still need my kidney and lungs, so I think I'll pass.

John L Nobile

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2019, 03:24:04 PM »

Interesting but I still need my kidney and lungs, so I think I'll pass.

Expensive, yes. But 40,000 Lumens? I'd love to see that!

Taylor Hall

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2019, 03:27:39 PM »

You wouldn't see it for very long, and it'd be the last thing you ever see!
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2019, 05:22:07 PM »

Expensive yes, but not super expensive. $140k and up is what big bright projectors cost. Many of the events I have worked on have multiple stacks of stacked 40k projectors double or even triple stacked for increased brightness and image safety.

HERE'S ONE that's popular with the event production crown.

Mac

John L Nobile

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2019, 05:43:12 PM »

Bulb life is 400 hours with a 7 kW "bulb". Wonder what the bulb is worth?

I've been happy with the 6,000 Lumen projector I bought for the resort. Until now.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »

Bulb life is 400 hours with a 7 kW "bulb". Wonder what the bulb is worth?

IIRC the lamps for the Sony Digital Cinema projectors my daughter used to deal with were around a grand each. Those were for 250 seat theaters.

Mac

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 05:48:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 26 queries.