ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Un-Equal Video System (until money comes in)  (Read 2320 times)

jabney (john abney)

Un-Equal Video System (until money comes in)
« on: June 05, 2019, 01:53:27 AM »

The plan: build out a video system using existing low budget video electronics and expensive wiring. The first goal: stream band-owned and controlled music during shows and venue-hosted pre-show interviews on YouTube or some other system at 720p.

Two things I hope to get first: a Blackmagic Web Presenter (without the Teranex Mini Smart Panel;) and a decent BNC Crimp Tool.

Part two: if the streams get support (including donations) then add a Teranex Mini Smart Panel to switch between two cameras; and control Pan (in the attic) Tilt, and Zoom. My own 'jabney invention' is the idea to use noisy, but cheap motors during each drum hit controlled by already available software. More sound equipment (operating but silent) would usually not be a problem. This will need some time to make each move because drum hits are already short, so experimenting will be needed. And some types of music wouldn't be suitable. But the cost difference between big, ultra-smooth, almost silent motors, and noisy little motors could be worth the time. Who knows, it could even be an effect sometimes.

Part three: buy an ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K and then start looking for old but working cameras with great lenses.

What do you think?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: Un-Equal Video System (until money comes in)
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2019, 03:13:39 AM »

[quotes author=jabney (john abney) link=topic=171243.msg1577361#msg1577361 date=1559714007]
The plan: build out a video system using existing low budget video electronics and expensive wiring. The first goal: stream band-owned and controlled music during shows and venue-hosted pre-show interviews on YouTube or some other system at 720p.

Two things I hope to get first: a Blackmagic Web Presenter (without the Teranex Mini Smart Panel;) and a decent BNC Crimp Tool.

Part two: if the streams get support (including donations) then add a Teranex Mini Smart Panel to switch between two cameras; and control Pan (in the attic) Tilt, and Zoom. My own 'jabney invention' is the idea to use noisy, but cheap motors during each drum hit controlled by already available software. More sound equipment (operating but silent) would usually not be a problem. This will need some time to make each move because drum hits are already short, so experimenting will be needed. And some types of music wouldn't be suitable. But the cost difference between big, ultra-smooth, almost silent motors, and noisy little motors could be worth the time. Who knows, it could even be an effect sometimes.

Part three: buy an ATEM Television Studio Pro 4K and then start looking for old but working cameras with great lenses.

What do you think?
[/quote]

I think that you could pickup some PTZ security cameras for next to nothing used that would be much easier than trying to build you own.  It's not so much the noise.  Stepper motors send positional info back to the software.  It's a complex interaction.  Of you get a PTZ camera it's all done by firmware in the camera. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

jabney (john abney)

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »

I think that you could pickup some PTZ security cameras for next to nothing used that would be much easier than trying to build you own.  It's not so much the noise.  Stepper motors send positional info back to the software.  It's a complex interaction.  Of you get a PTZ camera it's all done by firmware in the camera.

Thanks Scott,

First, though, I see that you are out of Cleveland. Recently, Baker Mayfield's QB-camp's sound operator played "Old Town Road" and hundreds of kids at the camp started dancing to one song. They even got Baker Mayfield to join them. Whoever chose that particular song, "Old Town Road" for that spot - just before the awards of the day (I think) - did a great job of picking the music.

As for PTZ security cameras, great idea. But that suggestion was already turned down. So I've been trying to come up with a way to make the cameras blend-in with the rest of the stage and the auditorium. I've been experimenting with aluminum 20mm x 20mm 'beams' (black like the stage walls) ready to fly from above. The attic floor is fairly strong and an X support of 11 3/4" outriggers should hold things below. Just have to get a pneumatic swage crimper to make a single 1/8" stainless steel cable tie everything together.

20mm beams have five 'hidden' channels to hide wires and cables. Adapters are bulky though. So the job needs another crimper as well (to run SDI) that can handle mini BNC Din 1.0/2.3 connections as well as standard sized BNCs. (I already have a sturdy-framed crimper to handle RJ45's.)

Blackmagic has an Arduino 'shield' that works with some of their cameras. I can't see why other cameras wouldn't work until buying real gear (e.g. Blackmagic Micro Studio Camera 4K) later. The frame itself (to hold the various single-board computers, the motors and the cameras) would be there. And using the 20mm pieces can allow adjustments later if needed.

If we had $15k or $25k, my homemade rig wouldn't be needed. Unfortunately, neither I nor the venue have that kind of budget. What I do have is some time and invention ability.

best, john
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 12:00:24 PM by jabney (john abney) »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2019, 11:58:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 25 queries.