ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: IEM antenna spacing?  (Read 4236 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
IEM antenna spacing?
« on: May 26, 2019, 06:25:56 PM »

IEM antenna spacing?

I am helping with an install in a church and we will be adding a total of 7 Shure IEM systems. We will be using 2 Shure PA411 Four-Port Antenna Combiners and 2 Shure PA805SWB Passive Directional Antennas. Because the 8 port antenna combiners are A LOT more money. How far apart is the recommended distance these 2 antennas should be mounted apart from each other?

These will both be on the stage right wall as close to the ceiling as possible and behind where the people using the IEMs will be. So it should be a relatively clean line of site to their receivers. From there to center stage is about 40feet. The transmitters themselves will be on the other side of that wall, about 10 feet from the antennas in a closet. We will be using Shure UA825 25' UHF Remote Antenna Cable, RG8X/U. BTW the wireless mic receivers are already in that closet and are going to be in the same rack as the IEM transmitters. The antennas for the receivers are on a distribution system, the antennas are just above and slightly behind the users of the mostly handheld wireless.

Thank you for any help you can be with this. 

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: IEM antenna spacing?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2019, 09:05:58 PM »

You might be able to run the full 4-port combiner out into one of the the not full 4-port ins and use a single antenna.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2019, 09:35:48 PM »

You might be able to run the full 4-port combiner out into one of the the not full 4-port ins and use a single antenna.

It’s usually not recommended to run an active combined into another active combiner.  I don’t recall the reasoning but it’s a no-no.  You can use a passive combiner though.  I’ve effectively used a Shure passive Y to combine a couple sennheiser antenna combiners without problems.  That’s why the larger Shure combiners have passive combiner inputs.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2019, 01:50:18 AM »

It’s usually not recommended to run an active combined into another active combiner.  I don’t recall the reasoning but it’s a no-no.  You can use a passive combiner though.  I’ve effectively used a Shure passive Y to combine a couple sennheiser antenna combiners without problems.  That’s why the larger Shure combiners have passive combiner inputs.

I'm pretty sure it's because you'll overload the input amplifier for the cascaded input on the second combiner in the chain. Active combiners often have an amplifier on each input to compensate for the loss caused by the passive part of the combiner (~7 dB for a 4-way combiner), and this amplifier is only rated to take in so much signal.

The AC 41 is rated for a maximum input of 30 mW, with the understanding that 30 mW in should give you 30 mW out to the antenna, but that's per channel. If my math is right, multiplied by 4 channels, the output of an AC 41 can be throwing almost an eighth of a watt of power, which is way higher than what the next AC 41 can handle.

-Russ

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2019, 06:02:48 AM »

While the passive splitter would be effective in this application, I  would like to know minimum spacing requirements if 2 or more TX antennas are in play.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2019, 11:10:02 AM »

While the passive splitter would be effective in this application, I  would like to know minimum spacing requirements if 2 or more TX antennas are in play.

My guess so far apart and/or at such a different angle to the Rx that when the Rx is obstructed from one angle, it can still get RF from the second antenna.

Some years ago I did a major event where Sennheiser had their own guys doing the RF, and he/they mounted both IEM and Wireless mic antennas on both sides of the stage.

Pete Erskine

• Best Audio
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2019, 02:12:14 PM »

My practice is TX antennas are 4' apart and 8' from any RX antenna.  This spacing includes any wifi and cellular antennas which are always 10'- 20' away from any of my antennas.  Digital transceivers, like Freespeak, Bolero or CrewCom, count as TX antennas.
Pete Erskine
917-750-1134
www.bestaudio.com
[email protected]

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2019, 02:14:24 PM »

My guess so far apart and/or at such a different angle to the Rx that when the Rx is obstructed from one angle, it can still get RF from the second antenna.

Some years ago I did a major event where Sennheiser had their own guys doing the RF, and he/they mounted both IEM and Wireless mic antennas on both sides of the stage.

In My case each antenna is for different IEM transmitters (4 on one and 3 on the other) so there is no diversity coverage coming into play at all.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2019, 02:17:48 PM »

My practice is TX antennas are 4' apart and 8' from any RX antenna.  This spacing includes any wifi and cellular antennas which are always 10'- 20' away from any of my antennas.  Digital transceivers, like Freespeak, Bolero or CrewCom, count as TX antennas.

Thank you. So the 2 TX antennas should be 4 feet apart from each other and in this case the RX antennas for the wireless mics are at least 25 feet away from the TX antennas. 

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »

About what I guesstimated.
Thanks Pete :)
I don't care enough to be apathetic

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2019, 06:40:15 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.