ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: how to stream live video on a budget  (Read 6077 times)

ThomasA(lbenberger)

Re: how to stream live video on a budget
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2019, 12:20:30 PM »

Have you looked at the AJA U-Tap? It requires a computer and program to interface, but is flexible (and available with HDMI and SDI).

The Matrox Monarch HD is pretty self-contained, but I’m not sure how well it holds up over time.

Hi Jordan,

thank you very much! This is exactly what I'm thinking about. Especially the Matrox unit, being a self-contained box, rather than needing a computer and audio interface as does the AJA U-Tap.

So, question to all: Lets say, we go the Matrox route. What other requirements are there for making it all happen?

Can I receive the stream on a local network, without going through an online-platform like youtube? What do I need at the receiving end?

Do I need to have my own server to stream live on youtube?

What alternatives to the Matrox Monarch unit are there, which you have personal experience with? An internet search with 'hardware video streaming encoder' lists a lot of products of this type. Who has used one before? What can you recommend?

Thanks a lot!

Regards, Thomas

edit: clarification: I meant the matrox monarch unit, not the one posted later on in the discussion.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 01:59:17 PM by ThomasA(lbenberger) »

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2019, 02:12:03 PM »

Thanks Luke. Thanks Erik.

I'm afraid, I didn't make myself clear, I apologize.

HDBaseT is not an option, neither is a different network cabling solution. The cat5 (unshielded) with a patchbay in-line is a given. Hence, the search for streaming with the useage of a compression protocol, to get the datarate down. Since this is a send to breakout rooms, a delay of up to 10 seconds is acceptable, as long as audio and video are delayed by this same amount.

Erik:

Can you give me a pointer to this 'dsl variant technology', since I'm not sure what to feed my internet search engine with?

Luke:

The video input usually is just a single hdmi from a camcorder. For some events this is not the case, here it will be a single hdsdi output from the video mixer. Analogue audio is to be mixed separately and injected into this hdmi- or hdsdi-stream only for the purpose of streaming/video recording.

As I said before: An all-in-one box would be my preference. However, as an alternative I might consider a computer setup for the encoding part. Which USB Adapter do you have experience with? Which software do you have experience with? What are the differences between streaming within the local cat-infrastructure (point-to-point or with a switch in-line to multiple locations) versus streaming to the internet?

Thanks again! Thomas

https://altinex.com/product/anywire/

No idea how well it works.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2019, 02:15:09 PM »

I was just thinking that if the cat5 predates cat5e then it’s possible it exceeds specs enough to work for HDBaseT or gigabit Ethernet.  It could be useful to get the cables in question qualified to see what they are really capable of.  You may actually have “more” than you realize.

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2019, 03:16:39 PM »

https://altinex.com/product/anywire/

No idea how well it works.

hi eric,

thanks for the link!

interesting concept this anywire product. might be considered, if we can not get the network streaming to happen. although, i might just add an sdi splitter and run some co-ax to the breakout rooms then, which would give me better signal quality for about the same money, that the altinex runs for.

but thanks!

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 03:30:19 PM »

I was just thinking that if the cat5 predates cat5e then it’s possible it exceeds specs enough to work for HDBaseT or gigabit Ethernet.  It could be useful to get the cables in question qualified to see what they are really capable of.  You may actually have “more” than you realize.

true, erik. always expect the unexpected... :-)

thanks.

i‘m still pursuing the live streaming route for the added benefits of providing content to the general public, and recording the videos for archiving or other purposes.

so, of anyone can chime in with opinions on the matrox monarch or similar units, please go ahead.

opinions on computer setups with capturing devices and software (obs?) are also very welcome!

regards, thomas

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2019, 03:31:41 PM »

true, erik. always expect the unexpected... :-)

thanks.

i‘m still pursuing the live streaming route for the added benefits of providing content to the general public, and recording the videos for archiving or other purposes.

so, of anyone can chime in with opinions on the matrox monarch or similar units, please go ahead.

opinions on computer setups with capturing devices and software (obs?) are also very welcome!

regards, thomas

We have had OBS be unreliable.  We find wirecast more reliable.  Both take considerable CPU power. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2019, 03:52:46 PM »

We have had OBS be unreliable.  We find wirecast more reliable.  Both take considerable CPU power. 

Thanks Cailen!

Cailen Waddell

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2019, 06:20:09 PM »

Thanks Cailen!
Just be aware of what you may do to the venues internet connection.... for example, a machine pushing up at 5 mbps and then 3 downloading... will put a 15 mbps toll on your download pipe.  If you have fiber or a robust internet connection that may be just fine, if not - think about the potential impact before implementing.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #18 on: May 28, 2019, 12:03:30 AM »

There are a bunch of standalone streaming boxes out there:

Matrox Monarch boxes (as previously mentioned)

Extron Streaming Products

BlackMagic Web Presenter

Teradek

A lot of HoW use streaming interfaces, so check those blogs and forums as well.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

ThomasA(lbenberger)

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 03:39:49 AM »

There are a bunch of standalone streaming boxes out there:

Matrox Monarch boxes (as previously mentioned)

Extron Streaming Products

BlackMagic Web Presenter

Teradek

A lot of HoW use streaming interfaces, so check those blogs and forums as well.

Hi Jordan,

thanks for the links.

The Extron smp 111 for example retails for over 3000,- euros. That's way too much for this application.
The Blackmagic unit only goes to 720p, and needs a computer setup.

The Teradek Vidiu pro or the Matrox Monarch HDX might be a possible solution,
as well as another product I found out about, the Cerevo LiveShell X.

If anyone has any first hand experience with these products, please let me know.

Thanks for all the replies so far,

Best Regards, Thomas

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2019, 03:39:49 AM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.