ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wireless for Distributed Speakers  (Read 3144 times)

Peter Kowalczyk

Wireless for Distributed Speakers
« on: May 25, 2019, 09:30:27 PM »

Hi Folks,

I have an event coming up that will require hundreds of feet of XLR to connect set of distributed speakers.  I did it this way last year, and can do it again.  However, I'm interested in exploring options for wireless signal distribution.

I understand many have used standard Wireless mic / IEM components for this purpose, but I (a) don't own any and (b) cant afford to buy in at this point.  So, I'm looking for input on more economical options.

Has anyone had experience with the Klark Teknik DW 20R / *DW 20T?  How about the Denon DN202WR / *DN202WT?

100' range leaves me skeptical.  I should probably just buy a few more long XLRs and deal with it...  convince me otherwise?

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
Re: Wireless for Distributed Speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 09:37:20 PM »

Hi Folks,

I have an event coming up that will require hundreds of feet of XLR to connect set of distributed speakers.  I did it this way last year, and can do it again.  However, I'm interested in exploring options for wireless signal distribution.

I understand many have used standard Wireless mic / IEM components for this purpose, but I (a) don't own any and (b) cant afford to buy in at this point.  So, I'm looking for input on more economical options.

Has anyone had experience with the Klark Teknik DW 20R / *DW 20T?  How about the Denon DN202WR / *DN202WT?

100' range leaves me skeptical.  I should probably just buy a few more long XLRs and deal with it...  convince me otherwise?

Buy a 1000ft roll of cat5e stp stranded for $90. 4 channels of audio 1kft away. Easy.

On another note, why not rent?

Or use the audio fusion system for wireless ip audio.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 09:55:41 PM by Nathan Riddle »
I'm just a guy trying to do the next right thing.

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 09:42:40 PM »

Buy a 1000ft roll of cat5e stp stranded for $90. 8 channels of audio 1kft away.

I count 4 channels instead of 8? Either way, for line level audio, I'd go UTP. Cheaper, easier to deal with and terminate, and less likely to induce accidental noise if you forget to ground the shield.

-Russ

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2019, 10:02:40 PM »

I count 4 channels instead of 8? Either way, for line level audio, I'd go UTP. Cheaper, easier to deal with and terminate, and less likely to induce accidental noise if you forget to ground the shield.

-Russ

:-[

Does not balanced audio still require a ground?
[I know the electrical service usually provides that alternative path when ground lifting, but couldn't electrical and chassis ground be decoupled or not connected on some equipment and thus it wouldn't work?]

This business is for people with too much energy for desk jobs and too much brain for labor jobs. - Scott Helmke

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2019, 10:25:47 PM »

No and yes. So long as the difference in ground potential between the sender and receiver does not exceed the common-mode range of the receiver's inputs and the receiver has sufficient common-mode rejection to keep the ground noise acceptable, an explicit ground connection is not needed. Think of plain-old-telephone-service subscriber lines. An isolation transformer at the receiver input has a common-mode range limited only by the breakdown voltage of its insulation, typically several hundred Volts. The quality of the transformer determines its common-mode rejection. Under most circumstances unshielded twisted pair going into a transformer, or even an electronic differential input, will do just fine for line level audio.
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2019, 11:21:34 PM »

No and yes. So long as the difference in ground potential between the sender and receiver does not exceed the common-mode range of the receiver's inputs and the receiver has sufficient common-mode rejection to keep the ground noise acceptable, an explicit ground connection is not needed. Think of plain-old-telephone-service subscriber lines. An isolation transformer at the receiver input has a common-mode range limited only by the breakdown voltage of its insulation, typically several hundred Volts. The quality of the transformer determines its common-mode rejection. Under most circumstances unshielded twisted pair going into a transformer, or even an electronic differential input, will do just fine for line level audio.

And don’t forget phantom power.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2019, 10:10:49 AM »

Under most circumstances unshielded twisted pair going into a transformer, or even an electronic differential input, will do just fine for line level audio.
Agreed. This is evidenced by the successful break-in and break-out boxes that Rat Sound, etc. sell.

(I think they’re perfect for Corpy AV breakout rooms, and you can use basically any UTP if you don’t need phantom power or shielding “benefits”.)
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2019, 12:35:28 PM »

:-[

[I know the electrical service usually provides that alternative path when ground lifting, but couldn't electrical and chassis ground be decoupled or not connected on some equipment and thus it wouldn't work?]
No. Balanced audio is from the differential input.
JR or someone will have the nuts 'n bolts of it, but I would guess that my board will have a local ground reference to use. You lift/cut pin 1 when the grounds are at a different potential, right ?
A few years back I was supplying Audio to a CBC remote broadcast truck.
Their tech DIDN'T WANT my ground.....
He took pins 2 and 3, and fed it to the country.
We were both on different Genny's. Don't know it that was the reason, or not taking the ground was SOP. At the time, I was too young and stoopid to ask.
Chris.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:38:51 PM by Chris Hindle »
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Nathan Riddle

• Niceville, FL
    • Nailed Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »

Learn something new every day. Thanks, guys!

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2019, 12:52:38 PM »

A few years back I was supplying Audio to a CBC remote broadcast truck.
Their tech DIDN'T WANT my ground.....
He took pins 2 and 3, and fed it to the country.
Not even an ISO transformer?

I’ve adopted the Clair policy of never allowing non-ISO-transformered inter-system connections.

DJ mixer? Jensen ISO

Other band’s console into mine? Jensen ISO(s)

Sending out to another system from mine? Jensen ISO.

Pin 1 or no Pin 1, I don’t care - it’s getting physically isolated from all my gear.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2019, 01:07:19 PM »

Not even an ISO transformer?
I can't speak to what was in his truck, but at my board, Left was PA, and Right was CBC feed. 2 wires.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Frank Koenig

• Palo Alto, CA USA
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2019, 04:13:38 PM »

I’ve adopted the Clair policy of never allowing non-ISO-transformered inter-system connections.

Agree. Use a transformer anytime you connect analog audio to a piece that is not powered from your distro or, for that matter, any long line, unbalanced, or unknown gear. I always carry two with me and they have saved the day more than once. -F
"Nature abhors a vacuum tube." -- John Pierce, Bell Labs

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »

Give me a shout, I've got a Lectrosonics Duet TX that will fire 100m+ if it's LOS. Multiple receivers available.

Hi Folks,

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2019, 10:14:28 PM »

Neutrik XIRIUM Pro.  1/2 mile line of sight transmit, low latency, available in analog, aes, and Dante versions.  Repeater options as well as diversity setup options.

Lyle Williams

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »

Neutrik XIRIUM Pro.  1/2 mile line of sight transmit, low latency, available in analog, aes, and Dante versions.  Repeater options as well as diversity setup options.

So. Many. Dollars.  $7k per link on this side of the world.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2019, 05:14:52 PM by Lyle Williams »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.024 seconds with 22 queries.