ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: More 5GHz wireless questions  (Read 2325 times)

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: More 5GHz wireless questions
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2019, 02:07:49 am »

Yes, but to a different point I believe. The article as I read it focuses on whether hiding the SSID increases security or not. What appears to be more relevant here is whether hiding the SSID reduces the number of scans it will encounter by other devices or not.  I remember reading (probably in this forum?) the contention that hiding the SSID will actually increase the workload due to other devices repeatedly “trying harder” to identify a source that won’t identify itself.  Either way, I’ve left mine exposed.

This is exactly correct.   We are not doing this for security concerns, we are doing it for stability.  Capacity is also not a concerning for our applications.

Different requirements mean different options.  There is no good reason other than convenience to broadcast a SID.

If you have talent that wants to mix their own monitors that should be on a seperate AP anyway, not just a seperate VLAN and SSID on the same AP as you only have so much processing power and from a layer 2 perspective broadcast storms on one vlan can take down another.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2019, 12:12:36 pm »

This is exactly correct.   We are not doing this for security concerns, we are doing it for stability.  Capacity is also not a concerning for our applications.

Different requirements mean different options.  There is no good reason other than convenience to broadcast a SID.

If you have talent that wants to mix their own monitors that should be on a seperate AP anyway, not just a seperate VLAN and SSID on the same AP as you only have so much processing power and from a layer 2 perspective broadcast storms on one vlan can take down another.
Thanks Scott. So just to be clear: adding say a Ubiquiti AP with hidden SSID to serve as my “FOH AP” by plugging it into one of the switch ports on my existing Asus router would essentially put the FOH AP on a different VLAN than the Asus (even though it’s using the Asus for a switch) thereby isolating it from any broadcast storms that may be affecting the Asus. Correct? 

I would leave the Asus configured to broadcast its 5GHz SSID as I have several bands that I do indeed trust to run their own monitors (and IEMs of course) but would probably turn off the 2.4 GHz radio just to reduce the number of scans blanketing the router.
..db

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2019, 05:04:29 am »

Well let's make sure we are not having semantic issues.

Both SSID's will be in the same layer 2 collision domain.   VLAN's are a layer 2 context.  You really don't have VLAN's because your switch can't tag the packets and isolate them from a layer 2 perspective (Ethernet).  Both SSID's will be in the same network and any broadcast traffic will be sent on both AP's.

You might not be talking about the same broadcast messages.  A broadcast storm is IP broadcast messages that are sent to all hosts on the network

The traffic storms we are talking about are wifi broadcast reply storms create by the large number of endpoints probing the network.  These are layer 2 wifi messages not IP broadcasts.

The multiple AP will protect you from wifi junk traffic.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2019, 02:13:09 pm »

Well let's make sure we are not having semantic issues.

Both SSID's will be in the same layer 2 collision domain.   VLAN's are a layer 2 context.  You really don't have VLAN's because your switch can't tag the packets and isolate them from a layer 2 perspective (Ethernet).  Both SSID's will be in the same network and any broadcast traffic will be sent on both AP's.

You might not be talking about the same broadcast messages.  A broadcast storm is IP broadcast messages that are sent to all hosts on the network

The traffic storms we are talking about are wifi broadcast reply storms create by the large number of endpoints probing the network.  These are layer 2 wifi messages not IP broadcasts.

The multiple AP will protect you from wifi junk traffic.
Thanks Scott.  That helps a bunch.   I see the Ubiquiti Controller software can log and report on all traffic hitting a AP. Might be interesting to set one up at my normal venue and see just what traffic it gets exposed to just sitting there.  Onward!
..db

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2019, 08:10:26 pm »

I had a helluva time getting either of my mesh to be discovered, but finally it happened.  Once that PITA was over with, I'll say that it works well.  Here's the prototype mount I made the other day.

dave briar

• Helena Montana
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2019, 09:36:55 pm »

I had a helluva time getting either of my mesh to be discovered, but finally it happened.  Once that PITA was over with, I'll say that it works well.  Here's the prototype mount I made the other day.
Very clean. Nice job! 
So do you run two at once or just have one dedicated for each of your A and B rigs?
..db

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »

Tim,

What was the problem with discovery, and what did you have to do to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2019, 11:25:08 pm »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 26 queries.