ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Freight shipping for console quotes  (Read 4354 times)

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
Freight shipping for console quotes
« on: May 24, 2019, 01:32:28 PM »

So, I have a guy who says he might be interested in buying my Soundtracs Quartz console. Problem is he is in Georgia and needs a shipping quote. It's 7 feet wide and over 200lbs, so it will have to ship freight.

What's the best way to go about getting a freight quote? are there services that handle this sort of thing all the time? And what's the best way to pack it, since I don't have a road case for it?
Justice C. Bigler
Business Rep, IATSE Local 354
www.justicebigler.com

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Freight shipping for console quotes
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2019, 01:50:56 PM »

You are looking for LTL shipping...

You probably need to crate up the console inside a wooden frame so they don't damage it , or stand it up on end...

We've encountered drivers that un crated consoles to make more room.

Good luck... maybe find someone dead heading that way in a van. 

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2019, 02:07:05 PM »

Might want to consider meeting half way. It's not all that far.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2019, 02:08:46 PM »

In the past when I've sold something that required freight services I had the buyer arrange all of that, though I spelled that out in whatever listing I had. All I did was palletize it and make sure it wouldn't get damaged then waited for them to send me the BOL and hand it off to the carrier. Like John said, you'll want to use an LTL service. Pretty much all major carriers (Estes, UPS, FedEx, R&L, etc) do LTL so you can either go through them directly, or try using a broker like unishippers or freightquote.

Just how big is this console? If it's bigger than 40x48" you may have a hard time finding something off the shelf (or a generous loading dock) that will fit it. Large format print shops usually have a lot of oversized pallets, so you could check there too. You can also cobble together your own pallet fairly easily using bits from other pallets and those roofing joist tie plates. I'd highly recommend putting a solid sheet of plywood on top of whatever you use to act as protection, I've seen forks puncture things from underneath pretty often.

With that sorted, make a wood frame around it then add either wood or heavy cardboard panels to keep other stuff out. If you're feeling extra cheeky you can get some tip-over/shock labels for it to be sure that it's not manhandled. Not terribly cheap but good for any potential damage claims. Speaking of, whatever carrier you go through BUY THEIR EXTRA INSURANCE if they offer it. It's worth it.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »

Just how big is this console? If it's bigger than 40x48" you may have a hard time finding something off the shelf (or a generous loading dock) that will fit it.

Soundtracs Quartz 48 channel with patch bay. It's about 36" deep, and 7' wide. On a stand. weighs at least 200 lbs.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 02:24:29 PM by Justice C. Bigler »
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Taylor Hall

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 02:25:23 PM »

[url=https://www.studiosystems.co.uk/soundtracs/quartz.php]https://www.studiosystems.co.uk/soundtracs/quartz.php[/font]]Soundtracs Quartz 48 channel with patch bay. It's about 36" deep, and 7' wide. On a stand. weighs at least 200 lbs.
You could get away with grafting two regular 40x48 pallets together, then. That'll give you a full foot of wiggle room on either end. Your other option would be to find a 48x96" pallet from a print shop that does big signage, I know we had a bunch laying around that we couldn't get rid of since no one wants to recycle them...
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 02:39:09 PM »

Soundtracs Quartz 48 channel with patch bay. It's about 36" deep, and 7' wide. On a stand. weighs at least 200 lbs.

Keep in mind that if you crate and palletize the console you'll need a way to load it in the truck. Do you have a fork lift available? If not, you'll need to ask for a truck with a lift gate and pallet jack. Those items often cost a lot extra. Get it added to any quote.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2019, 02:42:39 PM »

If he could wait utill october I'm going from Los Angeles to Jacksonville Fl and my truck will be empty. 

Justice C. Bigler

• SR Forums
  • Tulsa, Oklahoma
    • My homepage
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2019, 02:51:24 PM »

hmm..seems like it might be easier just to rent a van and drive it over myself....
Justice C. Bigler
www.justicebigler.com

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 11:16:12 PM »

freightquote.com will get numbers from a number of LTL shippers quickly and easily for a rough idea.  Insurance is always an extra hidden cost and pretty pricey for used gear.  Crating it is the real trick.  You have to approach packing like they really plan to damage it.  You have no idea what else will be in the truck with it or how many freight repacks it might go thru.  Worst case is mall market to small market.  Less of an issue between big cities. Also need to know if the buyer has a loading dock or needs a lift gate delivery.  That of course is an extra charge.  It's all built around moving from one loading dock to another with nothing more than a pallet jack worth of attention. Every extra step or complication is more money.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2019, 11:16:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.