ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for PA setup for "Concert in the Park" Bose and JBL PRX content  (Read 9365 times)

Patrick Cognitore

The gig is tonight, just learned yesterday that we're back to using the Bose and PRX700 systems, as the Eon600 wasn't available. We'll have a tech running audio from FOH and each system will be on a discrete output bus so the option to run a dual PA is there.

I'll put up a post-mordem when I can.

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio

Patrick,

Hope the gig is a smashing success. I can totally relate to your situation...it happens more often than not, at least in my area. From what I see where I live....

1. Other than weddings, corporate gigs, and big A list shows, there is is little to no money in live performance. The wedding and corporate gigs aren't the "art" most artists desire and people playing A list shows aren't reading the LAB Lounge. What's the old joke - a Jazz musician is someone who takes a $5k instrument in a $500 car 50 miles to play a gig for $5. Sadly this is much closer to the truth than most realize.

2. The band is often clueless about live sound and treats the PA as an afterthought. Hiring a sound guy isn't even on their radar. They are only aware of the sound on the stage and the reaction from their fanboy friends. If they only knew what they sounded like in the audience....

Many times I've been a hired gun (guitarist) and found myself pushing to insure the sound is acceptable. I'm lucky in that I run a recording studio, so I guess that gives me credibility when I advise them on live sound. Still it can be an uphill battle.

I've also found things can change dramatically once you arrive at the gig. Despite assurances that the venue was informed and on board with the plan, you may find someone you didn't even know existed has (or thinks they have) authority and insists on a setup that makes no sense.

I guess my best advise is to be ready for anything, and know when to just shut up and play your instrument. You can lead a horse to water......

Patrick Cognitore

The gig went great. The JBL and Bose systems got used together, it sounded fine. I'm sure there was some unwanted cancellation going on but overall both systems combined to give greater SPL and the music was heard by all. Particularly the kids that dance up on the steps and at the front of the stage the whole show.

I ended up with a busted JBL top, I think an issue with the amp that I had previously re-surfaced at this gig. The amp repair I had done last year was $300 so I'm thinking that PRX712 may be going in the trash bin, because I'm not dropping another $300 on a discontinued model. Unless anyone has a line on a complete plate amp replacement as a reasonable cost. I've got no JBL service center within 180 miles, and the closest one is the one that 'fixed' it last time.

Some shots from the gig below. If I come across any video from the show I'll post it up.

Patrick Cognitore

Just found this overhead photo of the venue. Don't ask my why every sits so far away from the stage. The concrete slab at the bottom right of the pic is about 45' out from the stage. So the actual "front row" of the audience is 100'+ from the PA. Ridiculous.

And one from back of the crowd by the food/drink vendors.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 04:06:23 PM by Patrick Cognitore »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

Just found this overhead photo of the venue. Don't ask my why every sits so far away from the stage. The concrete slab at the bottom right of the pic is about 45' out from the stage. So the actual "front row" of the audience is 100'+ from the PA. Ridiculous.

And one from back of the crowd by the food/drink vendors.

Why does everyone sit so far back from the stage?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF

So they don't hurt their necks having to look up so hi when they are too close?

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

So they don't hurt their necks having to look up so hi when they are too close?

Lol
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Patrick Cognitore

Smart-ass.  ;D

Apparently its like this at every show here. They put on a handfull of shows each year - local bands and national acts - the crowd always sits back. Some type of odd spectator-groupthink? The first people to arrive decide, 'Hey, I don't want to be too close. This is good.' Then everyone else who arrives after accepts that as the "Front Row". At 120' from the stage.

I was told there have been times when folks sitting 200' away say "can you turn the music up?" and they are told "no, but why don't you move closer?"

-------------------------------------------------

I forgot to mention that we did briefly kick around the idea of placing the PA on the ground at the foot of the steps (30' in front of the band), but it really wouldn't work because there are a bunch of kids (like...100) running around that area and climbing the steps and adjacent ramps. Not feasible or safe to place the stacks there.

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.019 seconds with 26 queries.