ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Suggestions for PA setup for "Concert in the Park" Bose and JBL PRX content  (Read 9363 times)

Patrick Cognitore

Update and change of plans.

Just found out today that we are not gonna use the Bose system, but the plan is to use my JBL PRX700 rig along with the JBL Eon600 rig (615s over 618s) they used last year.

I think on the subwoofer front we'll have a fighting chance of the different model JBLs playing nice together.  And If not we can still do a dual PA setup.

Additional good news, we will have someone running sound from FOH. I feel I can now be less mentally invested in the setup and let him do his thing on the day.

-----------------------

Original Post:

Got a community show coming up next month. Big space outside. No budget for hiring in production. We will be limited to using the equipment we have available, which is a Bose F1 system (2 subs and 2 tops) and a JBL PRX 712 and 718xlf system (2 of each).

I'd like to pile all that gear up with the intention of getting the most summing possible with the least interference. However, neither the differently branded subs (JBL: front-loaded vs. Bose: band-pass) nor the tops (JBL: 12" plus CD horn vs. Bose: 12" plus mini line array) are likely to play well together.

The bandleader suggested we just put one of each cab on each side and daisy chain them from the Main L&R. I'm not convinced that will give us the best results.

My thought is to place like subs together - JBLs on one side and Bose on the other. And then use the two different top types to cover different areas of the audience. The Bose tops would point out a bit use as an outfill of sorts. Then the JBL tops placed as front-fill. I'd try to separate and/or splay the tops to keep the interaction to a minimum. I'd use separate bus sends to control each system (ex: Bose out of Main L&R, JBL from Aux bus) so I'd have discrete control over level, EQ, etc. Mixer does not have output delay so using delay stacks is not a option.

We will not have time to experiment with different layouts before the show.

Any thoughts on the above configuration? Or other suggestions given the equipment limitations?

----------------

I initially left out some info about the band:

We are a function band, so music is everything from classic rock to Motown to modern pop to country. Instrumentation is guitar, bass, drums, 3 vocals. And backing tracks with keys, horns, etc.

There is no stage volume, band is all on in-ears, no amps and electronic drums.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 10:24:53 PM by Patrick Cognitore »

Patrick Cognitore

View of stage from back of audience.

Patrick Cognitore

View of audience from stage.

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC

View of audience from stage.

Who puts on these events and doesn't budget for production?  The same people that wonder why their events are poorly attended?

Under no circumstances will the sum of these speakers be more than the whole of the JBL system.  You can use the bose for delay fills but you need something that can properly delay those speakers.  You also can't delay subs so they are fills for vocals and other mid/hf content.

You are going to have to be very cognizant of the stage level.  If you get too loud those JBL's will not be able to get on top of the bass/guitar amps and some of the drum kit (assume rock band, if quieter style music you will be in better shape). 

If it is a rock band you will only have enough bass to cover the people 20-30' in front of the stage.

How is the power at that location?  Do you have enough proper, safe and legal power cable?
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Patrick Cognitore

Sorry, left out some info.

There is no stage volume, band is all on in-ears, no amps and electronic drums. IMO this is actually a worse scenario because the PA has to do all the heavy lifting.

We are a function band, so everything from classic rock to motown to modern pop to country.

They regularly have shows here, both local acts and touring, sponsored by the City/Chamber of Commerce. There is stage power and even lighting set up.

Looks like they brought in production for the Market Street Festival on May 3, which featured the Cleverly's. See pic below.

The "Sounds of Summer" event my band is playing features local acts (we are the only ones on the bill for our performance date). I don't know any details about the execution of the series of events other than where it is and we need to bring our own PA.

Who puts on these events and doesn't budget for production?  The same people that wonder why their events are poorly attended?

Under no circumstances will the sum of these speakers be more than the whole of the JBL system.  You can use the bose for delay fills but you need something that can properly delay those speakers.  You also can't delay subs so they are fills for vocals and other mid/hf content.

You are going to have to be very cognizant of the stage level.  If you get too loud those JBL's will not be able to get on top of the bass/guitar amps and some of the drum kit (assume rock band, if quieter style music you will be in better shape). 

If it is a rock band you will only have enough bass to cover the people 20-30' in front of the stage.

How is the power at that location?  Do you have enough proper, safe and legal power cable?
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 11:29:16 PM by Patrick Cognitore »

Caleb Dueck

• Sierra Vista, AZ

Sorry, left out some info.

There is no stage volume, band is all on in-ears, no amps and electronic drums. IMO this is actually a worse scenario because the PA has to do all the heavy lifting.

We are a function band, so everything from classic rock to motown to modern pop to country.

They regularly have shows here, both local acts and touring. There is stage power and even lighting set up.

Looks like they brought in production for the Market Street Festival on May 3, which featured the Cleverly's. See pic below.

The "Sounds of Summer" event my band is playing features local acts (we are the only ones on the bill for our performance date). I don't know any details about the execution of the series of events other than where it is and we need to bring our own PA.

You can do a dual PA.  Each side to have both a JBL and a Bose.  Send the vocals to one system and the band to the other, I'd start with vocals in Bose and band in JBL.  Bose "subs" likely won't get any use.

Experience is something you get right after you need it.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......

You can do a dual PA.  Each side to have both a JBL and a Bose.  Send the vocals to one system and the band to the other, I'd start with vocals in Bose and band in JBL.  Bose "subs" likely won't get any use.
+100
Best deployment of the available gear.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!

Agreed.  This will be the best shade of porcine lipstick to use.  Might not even be terrible....
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Patrick Cognitore

I really like the idea of a dual PA.

Might consider using the Bose for vocals and backing tracks. The tracks don't need a ton of sub reinforcement.

Then the JBLs for drums, bass guitar and electric guitar.

Any thoughts on stacking the JBL subs together for the extra gain? (See pic below) Or being outside with such large distance to the audience will it not matter?

I know that those single 18s seem to perform a lot better when they are coupled, both inside and out.

Patrick Cognitore

Or to keep it more "aesthetically pleasing", which I believe is what the bandleader will prefer. Pic below.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 01:22:14 AM by Patrick Cognitore »

ProSoundWeb Community

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 22 queries.