ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Power Amp Speaker Wiring Question  (Read 4783 times)

Joe Pieternella

Re: Power Amp Speaker Wiring Question
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2019, 01:25:41 AM »

The first thing I would do is get rid of the bridged mode on the amp. Switch it to parallel instead of bridged and put one banana plug in ch1 and the other in ch2. You will lose 6dB of unwanted gain just by that.

Mac

And while you are at it. Fix/correct the banana plug colors.
Every speaker should have one black and one red plug attached.
The fact that whoever installed/upgraded this chose to use that color scheme combined with the wiring on the bottom Amp and the fact that the amplifier is  probably way overpowered for this use makes me wary of this installation.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn G8341 met Tapatalk

Andrew Cole

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2019, 06:48:25 AM »

Tim, Mac, Joe,

The console does technically feed an overflow area but the area apparently hasn't been used for this purpose for years. I'm not sure of the wiring, but as far as I know this channel outputs to two main PA speakers and somehow the smaller overflow speakers are connected into the same channel with a volume control on the wall. I wouldn't mind removing them from the system until the time comes where we need them or upgrade the amps & speakers.

So I had a meeting with a guy last night who knows a bit more about the system and according to him if we turn up the amp to maybe 12 o'clock we get lots of noise. I suppose that's not too surprising given what I hear about Samsons...

Being that I haven't been able to figure out anything regarding the speakers being 4, 8, or 16 ohm; I'm assuming we'd be fine switching from bridged to parallel with no worries right? Also, given that it's a stereo amp and I believe there's an unused xlr cable from the board to the amp area are there any issues with maybe switching to stereo? I don't have anything against mono, just exploring possibilities.

Tim - I'm not really questioning the system beyond the awkward console setup and now the speaker set up.

Thanks everyone for all your input! I'll probably try and get a better look at the speakers on Sunday and maybe I'll have more info then.

Taylor Hall

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2019, 07:26:21 AM »

The noise can probably also be at least partially attributed to the wonky gain structure going on that Tim and Mac helped you with. Any time you send a super hot signal out you're going to get a much higher noise floor down the chain. Also pots get dirty sometimes, so try giving the gain knobs on the amp several rotations back and forth and see if that knocks out whatever crud/lint/corrosion has gotten inside, if any.

The only thing you'll lose by going to stereo operation is a bit of power (and gain as Mac mentioned), but given that we're not talking about throwing rock concerts in this space you should be fine. Worst case you run a couple tests with it in stereo and put it back to mono if you don't get the performance you need. Just be sure to flip the switch on the back of the amp to the correct amplification mode.

Sounds like you've got a solid gameplan, let us know how things go over the weekend with your changes.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2019, 03:28:03 AM »

The noise can probably also be at least partially attributed to the wonky gain structure going on that Tim and Mac helped you with. Any time you send a super hot signal out you're going to get a much higher noise floor down the chain. Also pots get dirty sometimes, so try giving the gain knobs on the amp several rotations back and forth and see if that knocks out whatever crud/lint/corrosion has gotten inside, if any.

The only thing you'll lose by going to stereo operation is a bit of power (and gain as Mac mentioned), but given that we're not talking about throwing rock concerts in this space you should be fine. Worst case you run a couple tests with it in stereo and put it back to mono if you don't get the performance you need. Just be sure to flip the switch on the back of the amp to the correct amplification mode.

Sounds like you've got a solid gameplan, let us know how things go over the weekend with your changes.

Don't forget to turn off the bridge switch in the amp.  You can leave the input in parallel so you only have to feed one channel.
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Andrew Cole

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 05:38:58 PM »

Sorry for the late update but I do have an update. The speakers are indeed homemade enclosures that are screwed to building structure. From what I can tell there are three speakers...One on the left, and two on the right. The two on the right are different sizes. There's not a ton of access so I didn't really get a good look at them and I forgot to bring my phone into the attic to take pictures. I'd like to figure out the speaker setup before I try switching from bridged to parallel. I'm going back in a few days and maybe I can take some pics and maybe try and figure out the wiring. I know for the left speaker it has two wires connected to it (as in two blacks and two reds). I'm not sure where the second set of wires goes yet.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2019, 05:38:58 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 25 queries.