ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Curious pre-repack upper 600MHz behavior  (Read 307 times)

Scott Helmke

Curious pre-repack upper 600MHz behavior
« on: May 21, 2019, 10:19:07 am »

Last week we put our Wavetower up in church steeple in the city (Chicago) suburbs, to keep an eye on the repack as it comes this year.  Our first phase doesn't happen until late summer.  Already I've been seeing some interesting behavior, though.

First obvious thing is that the very top channels have already vacated - been seeing that happen already, and apparently those channels have elected to go online or share with another channel.

The other thing is these regular spikes that are appearing - you don't see more than one or two at a time, but they're strong compared to the TV stations.  The church itself doesn't have any wireless in that range and that close to the antenna; I can see their in-ears and such much lower down.

Finally, there's a very steady lump around 685MHz that looks like a very narrow TV station.

Any ideas what I'm seeing here?  Only other possibility is that the church is on the same side of town as the airport.

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Curious pre-repack upper 600MHz behavior
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 01:01:55 pm »

Last week we put our Wavetower up in church steeple in the city (Chicago) suburbs, to keep an eye on the repack as it comes this year.  Our first phase doesn't happen until late summer.  Already I've been seeing some interesting behavior, though.

First obvious thing is that the very top channels have already vacated - been seeing that happen already, and apparently those channels have elected to go online or share with another channel.

The other thing is these regular spikes that are appearing - you don't see more than one or two at a time, but they're strong compared to the TV stations.  The church itself doesn't have any wireless in that range and that close to the antenna; I can see their in-ears and such much lower down.

Finally, there's a very steady lump around 685MHz that looks like a very narrow TV station.

Any ideas what I'm seeing here?  Only other possibility is that the church is on the same side of town as the airport.

Airport, eh? In real-time mode, do the spike occur at a static but consistent interval of between 1 to 2 seconds? That would be spurious emissions from radar.

But looking at the trace and the frequency range, those spike seem to fall between 668 and 688, the uplink for T-Mobile's blocks C-E. Since only a few counties in the Chicago market have actually started service, with remainder coming online in the 4th quarter (including Cook), these could be remote test transmitters to test/calibrate inbound base RX performance.  I'll inquire . . .

Is your WaveTower in Shelby County by any chance?
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Scott Helmke

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:33:05 pm »

Airport, eh? In real-time mode, do the spike occur at a static but consistent interval of between 1 to 2 seconds? That would be spurious emissions from radar.
No, they take several minutes to change.

Is your WaveTower in Shelby County by any chance?
It's in Park Ridge, IL - zip code 60068.  Really only a mile or two from O'Hare.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:55 am »

Just checked the 24 max hold this morning - none of that stuff was there!  Yesterday national holiday, but the airports were of course still running.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2019, 09:32:55 am »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 23 queries.