ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Dip swich settings  (Read 4604 times)

Ade Morris

Dip swich settings
« on: May 21, 2019, 06:44:51 AM »

Right. Here goes. Newbie/Green horn alert.
I have 4 par 64 cans which I want to daisy chain. I am NOT using a controller so wish to use master/slave set up.
Having read numerous forums and watched coutless Youtube video's, I am still no nearer understanding dip switch settings.
I have 2 Ledj par64's and 2 of unknown origin. The 2 Ledj's i have found will work on dropping pin 10 to work as slave units but the other 2 are wierd. I can get them to work as a master/slave pair but both have to have pins 1-4 and 9 dropped and the slave has 10 dropped.
It is my understanding that the master has all the settings on it, ie pins 1-4 dropped and the slaves just have pin 10 dropped but this does not work.
Am I missing something here and please dont baffle me with 512-64 because all that calculation stuff just bounces off me and falls on the floor.
i am a mechanical engineer so things that do stuff without movement is witchcraft.

Taylor Hall

Re: Dip swich settings
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 07:28:10 AM »

Unfortunately, not all fixtures are created equal, especially where dip switches are concerned. What you really need is the user manual for your specific fixture(s) so that you can know EXACTLY how to configure them. We've had some fixtures where flipping 10 puts them into sound reactive mode, others have it switch between master/slave with another switch, etc etc.

It seems you're going in the right direction, it's basically trial and error until you find the combo of switches that works without the manual. It's also worth considering getting entirely new fixtures as there are numerous models on the market that eschew the dip switch setup in favor of an LCD display. Parts Express has one that would replace all 4 for under $200, but 'big names' would run you about $90 per fixture. Food for thought.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Ade Morris

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 01:24:18 PM »

Thanks. I'll just keep fiddlin. You would have thought that dmx was dmx all over.

Jay Barracato

• Solomons, MD
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 02:57:35 PM »

Thanks. I'll just keep fiddlin. You would have thought that dmx was dmx all over.
All dmx does is send a value (0-255) to an address (1-512). It is up to the fixture to decide what to do with the value.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Jay Barracato

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 03:48:01 PM »

It is.
The DIP switches access the specific features of the fixture, some of which are controlled by DMX.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 04:25:25 PM »

DMX is DMX. The maker of a lighting fixture decides what attribute is assigned to any given channel. Usually the first channels on a RGB fixture are channels 1, 2, and 3. Beyond that, it is anyone's guess what any additional channels do, if if there are intermediate function within a given channel.  RGBAW probably has the first five channels as each color.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Ade Morris

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2019, 08:12:45 AM »

I've given up. Spent 3hrs trying all permutations of the dip switches, switching from the unbranded to the LEDJ as master but to no avail. the 2 unbranded will not speak to the LEDJ.

Mark Cadwallader

• Helena, Montana USA
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 09:31:39 AM »

Bummer. It isn't you. The defect rate on some Chinese LED fixtures is shockingly high; you probably just got a bad pair.
"Good tools are expensive, but cheap tools are damned expensive."

Paul G. OBrien

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2019, 06:24:12 PM »

The defect rate on some Chinese LED fixtures is shockingly high; you probably just got a bad pair.

No.. I bet the two no-name fixtures will master slave with each others no problem at all. This problem has NOTHING to do with DMX either as there is no DMX controller in use and when fixtures are master-slaved the communications signals are not DMX, this is just about the bios(internal) programming between two different fixtures and evidently these two don't match.. which isn't at all surprising. You could buy the exact same fixture from the same manufacturer a year apart and end up with the same problem because they changed something in the internal programming, so the chances of getting 2 fixtures that share absolutely nothing in common to work together is virtually zero.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:40:02 PM by Paul G. OBrien »

Ade Morris

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »

Right. Short of beating the crap out of these par cans. I thought what could be easier than buying a controller instead. So instead of forking out hundreds of pounds i spent £20 on a ledj versiled 6 dmx controller. This should solve my problems right? Small, compact, easy to use, built in programs.
BUT NO. Still not able to get the bloody things working. Can't even get the 2 ledj's to do what i want.
All i want is colour change rgb every 2-3 seconds. Thats it.
Why is this so difficult.???😭😭😠😠

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2019, 06:23:20 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 24 queries.