ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Madonna's ESC diastre  (Read 3307 times)

Johannes Halvorsen

Madonna's ESC diastre
« on: May 21, 2019, 04:11:51 AM »

So, it's been a few days. Is there anything in the grapevine about Madonna's bizarely bad vocal performance on ESC in Tel Aviv? Did the monitor world crash and burn, or is she simply ripe for retirement?

(I guess this one passed mostly under the radar in the States, but there are som non-US heavy weights around here as well, I think.)

I just realised Madonna's official YT-channel has posted a version of her performance -WITH- autotune. That is some Orwellian style crisis management for you. Never mind all the clips online of her original non-autotuned performance or the 200m+ viewers who saw it live. Never happened, move along... ;)

Marcus Baeumler

• Stuttgart Area, Germany
Re: Madonna's ESC diastre
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2019, 05:43:52 AM »

So, it's been a few days. Is there anything in the grapevine about Madonna's bizarely bad vocal performance on ESC in Tel Aviv? Did the monitor world crash and burn, or is she simply ripe for retirement?

I have to admit that I was quite shocked by her performance. I think most people know that she is not the greatest singer on the planet, but that was astonishingly bad.

We wondered if:

a) her In-Ear failed completely (but then she probably would have pulled it out?)
b) they broadcasted her live mic by mistake when they should have switched the playback track back on?

I guess the private sponsor, who paid more around 1.5 million USD for her appearance there, was not too happy about the result...
« Last Edit: May 21, 2019, 05:47:42 AM by Marcus Baeumler »
The difference between theory and real life is that in theory there is no difference.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2019, 11:11:01 AM »

Who is Madonna? ;)
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 11:23:57 AM »

Who is Madonna? ;)
Some teenage bratty influencer trying to pose as a pop artist. All the fuzz among high school kids in their late fifties.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 12:36:35 PM »

(I guess this one passed mostly under the radar in the States, but there are som non-US heavy weights around here as well, I think.)

I just realised Madonna's official YT-channel has posted a version of her performance -WITH- autotune. That is some Orwellian style crisis management for you. Never mind all the clips online of her original non-autotuned performance or the 200m+ viewers who saw it live. Never happened, move along... ;)

So one explanation seems to be that the auto tune in Like a Prayer was set to chromatic and she was that much of that it chose the wrong note.

Johannes Halvorsen

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2019, 08:51:45 AM »

So one explanation seems to be that the auto tune in Like a Prayer was set to chromatic and she was that much of that it chose the wrong note.
That would result in vocal in tune, only with the wrong notes, wouldn't it? Didn't sound that way to me.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2019, 10:41:25 AM »

I grew up with Madonna and enjoyed what she did back in the day for what it was.
She was an innovator (for better or for worse) and contributed a lot to the music of the time.
However, I doubt anyone would have ever called her a good singer - she just wasn't (and obviously still isn't).
As always, it was more about the image, the performance, the vibe, the whole package.....
I am going to see Heart (again) in August - I've seen them many times and these days even Ann struggles with some of those very demanding vocals BUT she holds it together because she is and always has been such a talent and the consummate professional.
Madonna simply doesn't stand a chance because she was never a natural talent when it comes to singing. It also sounds like she hasn't been exercising her vocal chords and staying in shape (vocally) ....This is sad....
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 10:43:40 AM by Debbie Dunkley »
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2019, 04:27:29 AM »

I grew up with Madonna and enjoyed what she did back in the day for what it was.
She was an innovator (for better or for worse) and contributed a lot to the music of the time.
However, I doubt anyone would have ever called her a good singer - she just wasn't (and obviously still isn't).
As always, it was more about the image, the performance, the vibe, the whole package.....
I am going to see Heart (again) in August - I've seen them many times and these days even Ann struggles with some of those very demanding vocals BUT she holds it together because she is and always has been such a talent and the consummate professional.
Madonna simply doesn't stand a chance because she was never a natural talent when it comes to singing. It also sounds like she hasn't been exercising her vocal chords and staying in shape (vocally) ....This is sad....
Ann Wilson has one of the greatest female voices in rock.  Her Led Zeppelin covers are so special.

I will say that Sarah Bouralis (sp?) Is amazing too.  Her singing speaks to me the same way Ann's does.

I am glad her and Nancy patched things up too.

Sent from my VS996 using Tapatalk

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Randy Pence

• Berlin, Germany
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2019, 05:52:02 AM »

I'll go a step further and say that she hasn't put out anything worthwhile in 20 years. She's always been good at figuring out where the pulse of pop music could go, but the last 2 decades feel contrived. Then again, she may also simply be mirroring society

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »

Ann Wilson has one of the greatest female voices in rock.  Her Led Zeppelin covers are so special.

I will say that Sarah Bouralis (sp?) Is amazing too.  Her singing speaks to me the same way Ann's does.

Sarah Bereilles is awesome.  i did a show with her when she was still little more than an internet sensation and her combination of soulful voice and skillful bluesy piano playing blew me away.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2019, 11:56:05 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 25 queries.