ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portable Power Cabling Size  (Read 2320 times)

Kristian Stevenson

• Lynchburg, VA
Portable Power Cabling Size
« on: May 20, 2019, 08:35:03 PM »

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 5 conductor cabling to build L21-30 Amp Rack cables. We have one regular setup that dictates the racks be 100' from the PD. What size cable would be acceptable for this use case? I was considering 10/5 SOOW but the voltage drop is a little over 4%.

Would you consider this acceptable? I've read anywhere from 3 to 5% voltage drop is OK (depending on where you read it).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 10:37:57 PM by Kristian Stevenson »
Kristian Stevenson

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Portable Power Cbaling Size
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 08:40:12 PM »

Back in the days of large frame analog consoles I used 8/5 for the 250' FOH run because of voltage drop.  We still use that cable and now I can power a small resistance heater for those OctoberFest gigs so my FOH guys don't freeze solid.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
Re: Portable Power Cabling Size
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 11:40:35 PM »

I'm about to pull the trigger on some 5 conductor cabling to build L21-30 Amp Rack cables. We have one regular setup that dictates the racks be 100' from the PD. What size cable would be acceptable for this use case? I was considering 10/5 SOOW but the voltage drop is a little over 4%.

Would you consider this acceptable? I've read anywhere from 3 to 5% voltage drop is OK (depending on where you read it).

10/5 is fairly standard for L21-30 cables. What's really going to make the difference is the amplifiers in the rack, their loading and how sensitive they are to voltage drop. For example, I've regularly used Crown V racks fed by 100' (and over) of 10/5, no problems with under voltage. Some earlier versions of lightweight amplifiers were not as forgiving.

Voltage drop is usually calculated with a fixed resistive load. Audio loads are not as simple to calculate.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2019, 12:15:34 AM »

10/5 is fairly standard for L21-30 cables. What's really going to make the difference is the amplifiers in the rack, their loading and how sensitive they are to voltage drop. For example, I've regularly used Crown V racks fed by 100' (and over) of 10/5, no problems with under voltage. Some earlier versions of lightweight amplifiers were not as forgiving.

Voltage drop is usually calculated with a fixed resistive load. Audio loads are not as simple to calculate.

Back in the day of large filter capacitors it was easier to get a grip on current v/ duty cycle.  With Class D amps, not so convenient.

Since I also work as a stage hand I get to see what the big boys use; I haven't noticed anything that looked or felt unusual so haven't paid attention to the markings.  I'll start looking closer.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Brian Bolly

• DC/Baltimore and other Major Airports
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2019, 06:06:32 AM »

I believe with 5 conductors in the jacket for 30A (L21-30) you need to be on 8/5, but I don't have my copy of the NEC handbook readily available.  Anybody have one handy?

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 10:53:06 AM »

It really depends on current draw of the rack.  10ga at 100’ is about 5% drop at 30 amps of draw.  If you’re only drawing 20A you’ve got 3.5% drop.  If you want to be able to pull a full 30A at 100’ and stay at 3% or under then you need 6ga.

The other consideration is if your chosen cable will fit in the connector if you go for larger cables.

David Haulman

• Brunswick;Ga.
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2019, 09:30:46 PM »

You have more than 3 current carrying conductors. You will have to derate the 10-5. I think its 40 percent. Not Sure though.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2019, 10:07:22 PM »

#10 SO cable has an ampacity of 25 amps when there are 3 current carrying conductors.  The neutral only counts if more than 50% of the load is non-linear.  If that is the case, then for 4 current carrying conductors the amapcity is 80% of 25-or 20 amps.

NEC reference is 400.5.
Steve Swaffer

Kevin Graf

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »

Two things to consider:
1] Most Class "D" amplifiers have a SMPS (power supply). A SMPS doesn't much care what the line voltage is, they are self adjusting.
2] The ampacity rating of a cable is for 3 hour continuous current. So unless you are doing full power tone testing, the average power of real audio signals is much less.
Speedskater

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2019, 06:31:52 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.027 seconds with 25 queries.