ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Where to obtain shipping boxes for JBL VRX speakers  (Read 741 times)

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
Where to obtain shipping boxes for JBL VRX speakers
« on: May 20, 2019, 02:48:52 pm »

Hi,

I getting ready to ship 4 each of JBL VRX 918SP and JLB VRX 932LAP.

I've got boxes for 2 of each. I just got off the phone with JBL support (I called 1 (800) 336-4525), and the person there told me that they don't have extra boxes.

Is there a source for this kind of thing? I googled a bit, and Uline might be one way to do it, but seems a bit approximate.

Thanks!
Bob Charest

Taylor Hall

Re: Where to obtain shipping boxes for JBL VRX speakers
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2019, 02:52:52 pm »

You'll either have to luck out finding some second hand or just roll your own.

Honestly for a shipment of that size going freight would have been way easier and probably cheaper.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2019, 03:04:02 pm »

Honestly for a shipment of that size going freight would have been way easier and probably cheaper.

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to be putting these items on a pallet or 2, and shipping them LTL. I've got a flight case for 2 of the 932LAP, so the only items that remain to be protected are the 2 918SP speakers.

I'm also going to check with "Craters & Freighters" The helpful person at FreightQuote gave me their info.

Thanks again,
Bob
« Last Edit: May 20, 2019, 04:34:25 pm by Bob Charest »

Taylor Hall

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2019, 03:18:32 pm »

Ahhhh, in that case this gets way easier. ULINE has a lot of pallet-sized containers that will work great for that. Since it's just the subs going in it, I'd go with some plank foam underneath each cabinet for handling any speedbumps along the way, then fill the remaining void with your packing material du jour.

If you go with the bulk container, you can trim the flaps down to get them closer to the size of the cabinets themselves which will save you a lot in filler. Just be sure to pallet strap it or shrink-wrap the stew out of it to the pallet. FWIW, I've found FedEx, Roadrunner, and Southeastern to be the roughest handlers out of the big names, Forward Air and Central Transport aren't great either. Estes and UPS have been the most reliable for me in the past, both for sticking to pickup windows and handling materials.
There are two ways to do anything:
1) Do it right
2) Do it over until you do it right

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2019, 04:40:27 pm »

Ahhhh, in that case this gets way easier. ULINE has a lot of pallet-sized containers that will work great for that. Since it's just the subs going in it, I'd go with some plank foam underneath each cabinet for handling any speedbumps along the way, then fill the remaining void with your packing material du jour.

If you go with the bulk container, you can trim the flaps down to get them closer to the size of the cabinets themselves which will save you a lot in filler. Just be sure to pallet strap it or shrink-wrap the stew out of it to the pallet. FWIW, I've found FedEx, Roadrunner, and Southeastern to be the roughest handlers out of the big names, Forward Air and Central Transport aren't great either. Estes and UPS have been the most reliable for me in the past, both for sticking to pickup windows and handling materials.
Thanks again, both for the links and the feedback on carriers.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2019, 09:46:40 pm »

Concerning folding your own, here's my recipe:  I suggest purchasing flat sheets from ULine… get the double corrugate 4 x 8ft. sheets.  Also get a box scorer (model H-101) from ULine.  Measure the dimensions of the cabinet:  Front-to-back, left-to-right, and top-to-bottom.  Add 1/2" to each of those dimensions and then lightly score your cardboard sheets per the F-to-B and L-to-R (with the added 1/2") dimensions (these will be the side scores).  Use a utility knife to make the scores, following the corrugate grooves to get nice straight scores.  After the final box dimension score, make a final score about 3" beyond... that's where you'll cut the excess off the end of the sheet but leaving the seam fold.   Next figure your top and bottom box flaps... again adding 1/2" to the T-to-B cabinet measurement.  Subtract that measurement from 48" and divide by 2.  That's where you'll set the box scorer at.  Score the flaps and then cut-out a 1/2" kerf at each flap's box-fold score.  Then fold the box up, folding at the side scores.  It helps to fold the box flat... basically two opposite side folds folded 180 degrees to then glue and tape (and box staple if you have one) the seam.  After securing the side seam, square the box up and fold down the bottom flaps, and tape (and staple).  Load the speaker cabinet in the box and fold down the top flaps... and final tape.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2019, 10:08:38 pm »

I carefully DON'T cut at the corners, just put a crease so the cardboard knows where to bend.
It's stronger that way.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:27 pm »

Concerning folding your own, here's my recipe: ...
Thanks, Mark. The buyer decided to pass, so I'm going to look to sell the equipment regionally, so I can deliver or they can pickup.

Really helpful information, though. I appreciate the help, and apologize for the slow reply.

Best regards,
Bpb

Bob Charest

• Lab Lounge
  • Westbrook ME, USA
    • Bob Charest Band
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:59 pm »

I carefully DON'T cut at the corners, just put a crease so the cardboard knows where to bend.
It's stronger that way.

Good idea, Dave - Thanks!

Bob Charest

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2019, 09:12:59 pm »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 23 queries.