ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Backup safety?  (Read 3176 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Re: Backup safety?
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 08:35:34 PM »

The speaker has multiple fly points and an optional yoke and points for that. The yoke has a place for a threaded rod to attach. So the speaker with yoke will be hung by one point (threaded rod) coming out of the ceiling. That is why I want them to also use a backup cable as a safety.

There is an event that I do once a year in a field house, it seats about 4000 people. We had the previously mentioned rigging company install points and make the cables to hang the speakers we also installed the wiring. So it makes it much easier to get that system up and running. There are 2 cables for the speakers there is one on the top of the box and one on the back as a pull back. And this is attached to the steel with beam clamps that stay in place year around. But the speakers are only installed for this event and removed after it is over. In that case I see no need for a backup cable because one or the other can hold the speaker with no problem. When they did the first part of this they only had ¼” wire rope in stock. So these 32 pound speakers will very easily be held up (although not aimed properly) if one point were to fail. Unless I am mistaken that ¼” wire rope could probably hang a pickup truck on just one of them, but not at the working load limit. We changed the sound system for this setup to a hanging one over a couple of years and the newest hang points are configured with custom made cables by the riggers use 1/8” wire rope. And we are still way below the working load limit. I say all of that to say I am not a rigger but I am comfortable hanging stuff that has been configured by a rigger. But in this case that is not part of my job.

My basic question in the starting post is, is it ok if they were to just throw the wire robe over the steel and loop it back down with both ends together? I would think that the place where the wire rope in just thrown over the steel is a place where it will bend and weaken it. Or the other method, is it ok to use a choker hitch on the beam and shackle the cable coming out of the ceiling as the back up to a point on the speaker? Or is the only proper way to do this is to use a beam clamp with one end shackled to the beam clamp and one end shackled to the speaker.

The I-beam is wrapped with burlap (or as Cirque du Soliel, an engineered textile product) to provide cushioning of min. 1/4" thickness where the basket wire rope is in contact with the beam.  Chokes are not as frequently used as baskets as the primary attachment to structure.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Mark Dawson

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 02:08:04 AM »

I’m concerned that you seem obsessed with a second safety,  and how it’s affixed, when the major consideration is how the fixed installation is designed in the first place.     Is every Lodestar safetied at all times?    No.   Because the design has safety built in for its operating limits.     

In your situation,  rated speakers,  rated eyes, rated steels,  put up in a place by experienced people in a place designated by the structural engineer with two points per speaker ( or three for angling)   Will suffice and not need an additional safety.     

The fact that you seem to be focusing on the wrong end of the equation ( how to basket a safety)   Means that you perhaps don’t have the experience to make judgements in this matter. 

It is commendable however that you’ve reached out to a technical forum with precise description and a desire to make the install better. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »

I’m concerned that you seem obsessed with a second safety,  and how it’s affixed, when the major consideration is how the fixed installation is designed in the first place.     Is every Lodestar safetied at all times?    No.   Because the design has safety built in for its operating limits.     

In your situation,  rated speakers,  rated eyes, rated steels,  put up in a place by experienced people in a place designated by the structural engineer with two points per speaker ( or three for angling)   Will suffice and not need an additional safety.     

The fact that you seem to be focusing on the wrong end of the equation ( how to basket a safety)   Means that you perhaps don’t have the experience to make judgements in this matter. 

It is commendable however that you’ve reached out to a technical forum with precise description and a desire to make the install better. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very long reply.

I actually don’t think their present hanging method (threaded rod and Unistrut above the ceiling) for the size and weight on these speakers is wrong. It is a commonly used method for this type of work. Where the problem came in is that 11 of the 17 speakers (hung there now) themselves don’t have any hang points and those speakers should never have been used. I have been telling them that for years. The church did this with their employees and volunteers. The places that the speakers are hung makes it very difficult to properly time align the system due to the odd placements and multiple overlaps. And I told them I would not tell them the right places to hang them because of the 11 that shouldn’t have been used in the first place.

The present system doesn’t sound bad but they want it to sound better. They are doing internal renovations that include extending the stage into the room, it has been recessed into the middle of the long wall. The room (seating area) not counting the stage is 178 feet wide and 92 feet deep. It can seat about 2000 people. Before this place was bought by the church it was a large catering hall capable of being broken up into smaller rooms and the room is a little weird to be used for a church. It is all one large room (sanctuary) now. 

We recommended Fulcrum Acoustics speakers and demonstrated one to them last week and they were impressed. The new speakers are about 40 pounds per with hanging hardware (Yoke) attached and will be hung in different places for the most part then the present speakers. It will still be a distributed system. If they do the same thing as they did above the suspended ceiling for the present ones I don’t see a problem with that part. The present system as I said has 17 speakers in a distributed sound system due to the ceiling heights. I say heights because it varies at different places in the room.

As I said before. The new speakers (21 of them will be used) have multiple fly points and an optional yoke and points for that. This makes it a lot easier to aim the speakers at each point. The yoke has a place for a threaded rod to attach. So the speaker with yoke will be hung by one point (threaded rod) coming out of the ceiling, attached above to the structural steel. Some of the points will require Unistrut spanning between the steel to get the point in the right place. That (because there is only one point to hang the speaker) is why I want them to also use a backup cable as a safety. Just yesterday I was told that the people scheduled to do this are builders with industrial experience. The total weight of the new hang will be less than the old hang. I was also told that there will be a meeting with them coming up soon. So I will get a chance to see if they know what they are doing. 

I am not obsessed with just the backup. But I want to be sure that this time there is a backup. I understand why you might think that way but you don’t understand my role in this install. I can’t tell them exactly what to do I can only suggest. This is their facility and there responsibility. I am a consultant to the church and the sound company I am working with this on. How they are hung is out of my hands, where they are hung is part of my responsibility and I have been working with Fulcrum Acoustics on that. But I will do everything in my power to get them to do it right. The sound company proposed that they do the install but for some reason the church decided to use this building company. And the sound company is on the same page as I am with this.

I am not a rigger and don’t even play one on TV but I have worked a lot with riggers we had doing temporary hangs and permanent hangs so I have observed what they do and over the years I have learned a lot from them. But I am not fooling myself to thinking I am a rigger. I also won’t do rigging because I am not insured to do that. The sound company I am working with on this job is. This install just seems to have some other challenges, including in places getting to the steel above the suspended ceiling grid. I have asked here about this because I am concerned and wanted to know if the company that will be hanging the speakers would be doing a backup properly or not. I would use a beam clamp on the steel with a hanging eye-bolt and have a wire rope shackled up there and that would be shackled to a hanging eye-bolt in the speaker. With as little slack as possible on the wire rope.

When I was involved in a speaker upgrade in my church we used some rather heavy EAW speakers. That was a left and right hang weighing over 300lbs per side. We ordered them in plain wood and we had them stained to match the wood in that church. On my recommendation we had a structural engineer come in and certify the amount of weight that the Glued Laminate beams could take and also sign-off on the hanging method. We then had the aforementioned rigging company do the hang. We used some ATM flyware parts to hang them. Since then that church has been completely rebuilt. I have asked multiple times what happened to all of the equipment but I can’t get a straight answer. It wasn’t reused in the new building. The person in charge of that at the time of the rebuild has been diagnosed with early onset Alzheimer's, so getting information from him and anyone else is next to impossible.   

I hope this answers some of your questions.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2019, 01:01:10 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 23 queries.