ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Stage - 2 Monitors per mic  (Read 1833 times)

Steve Garris

Pro Stage - 2 Monitors per mic
« on: May 18, 2019, 06:33:00 pm »

Just curious, as it seems for a small listening area 1 speaker is desired over two, due to comb-filtering, etc. Why do we see 2 wedges at each performer on a lot of pro stages? I suppose you could tune them so that they sound great provided you don't move left/right.

I saw a picture posted by a friend and he had 3 wedges set up for his vocal mic. Is this a real thing, or is it psychology at work?

Rob Spence

• Boston Metro North/West
    • Lynx Audio Services
Pro Stage - 2 Monitors per mic
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:39:54 pm »

Monitors are not set up for a mic. They are set up for people to hear what they need.

Often the monitors will each have different content.
For example, the 3 you mentioned. The center one might only have that artists vocals while the left had vocals and instruments from her left side with the right monitor covering the right.
This allows the center to be tuned for just that vocal while the other 2 provide a mix that surrounds the artist.

Make sense? Just cause there is more than one doesnt mean they all have the same program.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
rob at lynxaudioservices dot com

Dealer for: AKG, Allen & Heath, Ashley, Astatic, Audix, Blue Microphones, CAD, Chauvet, Community, Countryman, Crown, DBX, Electro-Voice, FBT, Furman, Heil, Horizon, Intellistage, JBL, Lab Gruppen, Mid Atlantic, On Stage Stands, Pelican, Peterson Tuners, Presonus, ProCo, QSC, Radial, RCF, Sennheiser, Shure, SKB, Soundcraft, TC Electronics, Telex, Whirlwind and others

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Pro Stage - 2 Monitors per mic
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:17:50 pm »

I read somewhere that you could have two monitors equidistant from the mic with the polarity switched on one.
This would cancel at the mic, but the difference at the ears would allow the feed to be heard; no feedback.
I will try this someday for fun.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 09:22:56 pm »

a)  Yes, it's common to have two wedges.  I've seen as many as six.

b) Yes, there's usually comb filtering. That's generally considered less important than having one's head properly blown off by the added SPL.

c) With a hyper/supercardioid mic the two wedges might actually fit better into the mic's pattern nulls.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:07:00 am »

I had an artist with 5 once.  Three in front, two firing out from the drum riser for when he turned around.  Ridiculous SPL of course.  The kicker was when he got upset that I notched the frequency that his B87 was feeding back on.  I dont remember what I did but eventually he was happy.

Peter Morris

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 12:14:23 am »

Just curious, as it seems for a small listening area 1 speaker is desired over two, due to comb-filtering, etc. Why do we see 2 wedges at each performer on a lot of pro stages? I suppose you could tune them so that they sound great provided you don't move left/right.

I saw a picture posted by a friend and he had 3 wedges set up for his vocal mic. Is this a real thing, or is it psychology at work?

You are absolutely correct one wedge will not have comb filtering and will tune up and sound better than 2 wedges, often providing more SPL becuse of the extra loop gain you can get. Modern wedges generally have enough SPL especially the dual 12 wedges such as d&b M2, but so many engineers think 2 is better. Even when you demonstrate it they will still insist on 2 wedges just because.

Of course there are many situations especially on a big stages where you need more than 1 or even 2 wedges to get the coverage and SPL you need as the lead singer moves / dances around the stage I have used as many as 6 (plus side-fill) for one singer.

Nexo tried to address these issues with the N12, but it does seem to have gained that much traction - https://youtu.be/lkKxQWfSTno
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 12:24:36 am by Peter Morris »

Roland Clarke

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 04:47:48 am »

Ive had artists insist on it, but Peter is absolutely right.  The other issue you have to contend with are multiple monitors on a stage all comb filtering with each other.  When it comes to monitoring the best results are usuall obtained by keeping it simple! 😁

Chris Grimshaw

• Sheffield, UK
    • Grimshaw Audio
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 06:52:44 am »

I read somewhere that you could have two monitors equidistant from the mic with the polarity switched on one.
This would cancel at the mic, but the difference at the ears would allow the feed to be heard; no feedback.
I will try this someday for fun.

It'd be an interesting effect, but I'm not sure it'd work - the distances would have to be perfect for this to work.
Even then, out-of-phase speakers that close together would sound weird at best.

The most I've used was 4x monitors for one singer. More for coverage than anything - they were spaced so that you could walk across the stage and get pretty much the same SPL right across.

I like the idea of different program material in the monitors - very neat.

Chris
Sheffield-based sound engineering.
www.grimshawaudio.com

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 09:47:06 am »

You've got two testicles don't you?

You need two monitors to jiggle each teste the perfect amount. Sometimes the singer will prop his foot up on one wedge, exposing more scrotal area to the barrage of ego coming out of those dual wedges......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

William Schnake

• Schnake Sound & Light
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:14 am »

You've got two testicles don't you?

You need two monitors to jiggle each teste the perfect amount. Sometimes the singer will prop his foot up on one wedge, exposing more scrotal area to the barrage of ego coming out of those dual wedges......
...and now it all makes sense...wait, what about the third, center monitor?!?!?

Bill
Bill Schnake - Owner Schnake Sound & Light

Avid/Crown/EAW/EV/Midas/RCF/Shure/Yamaha

schnakesound.com

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 09:51:14 am »

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 22 queries.