ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Generator maintenance question.  (Read 1592 times)

Dan Mortensen

Re: Generator maintenance question.
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 07:26:23 pm »

This was an interesting thread to read, as I'd never heard of magnetic dip sticks but agree that it sounds like a good idea. Or at least it can't hurt and must make you feel like you're doing something positive for that gizmo that has to work when needed.

I got a Honda EU7000is last year and have changed the oil once so far; why not add a mag dipstick to the rig?

Looking for them  online for my generator has turned up nothing.

Yesterday I spent some time at a local Honda generator/motorcycle store and talked with them about it. They generously spent quite a bit of time with me looking for such a thing, and they could find nothing whatsoever. One of the guys suggested another product that is a magnetic gizmo that goes in with the oil filter.

When I was learning about my generator I couldn't find that it HAD an oil filter and said so. They were surprised, but looking further into it they agreed that it doesn't have one, and that maybe that's why Honda recommends frequent oil changes.

One of the guys said he had a personal 2200 Honda genny and that he religiously changes the oil every FIVE YEARS no matter how much he uses it. Doesn't keep track of the hours. He's had it nearly 15 years and has changed it twice, and it's coming up to be time.

They were also the impression that the magnetic dip stick replaces the oil pan drain screw (so in my case it would measure 12mm x 15mm), but "dip stick" implies to me that it's something you can look at to determine current oil level without draining the oil.

Which is it?

Thanks for the thread.

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 11:38:48 pm »

Magnetic drain plugs are fairly common.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 11:42:23 pm »

This was an interesting thread to read, as I'd never heard of magnetic dip sticks but agree that it sounds like a good idea. Or at least it can't hurt and must make you feel like you're doing something positive for that gizmo that has to work when needed.

I got a Honda EU7000is last year and have changed the oil once so far; why not add a mag dipstick to the rig?

Looking for them  online for my generator has turned up nothing.

Yesterday I spent some time at a local Honda generator/motorcycle store and talked with them about it. They generously spent quite a bit of time with me looking for such a thing, and they could find nothing whatsoever. One of the guys suggested another product that is a magnetic gizmo that goes in with the oil filter.

When I was learning about my generator I couldn't find that it HAD an oil filter and said so. They were surprised, but looking further into it they agreed that it doesn't have one, and that maybe that's why Honda recommends frequent oil changes.

One of the guys said he had a personal 2200 Honda genny and that he religiously changes the oil every FIVE YEARS no matter how much he uses it. Doesn't keep track of the hours. He's had it nearly 15 years and has changed it twice, and it's coming up to be time.

They were also the impression that the magnetic dip stick replaces the oil pan drain screw (so in my case it would measure 12mm x 15mm), but "dip stick" implies to me that it's something you can look at to determine current oil level without draining the oil.

Which is it?

Thanks for the thread.

Mine is a dip stick that screws into where you would normally add the oil and does allow for checking of the oil level - like this....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-EF3000ISEB-INVERTER-GENERATOR-MAGNETIC-OIL-LEVEL-DIPSTICK-NEW-ITEM/122644365799?hash=item1c8e2c81e7:g:Bt8AAOSwz2tZjjpi
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dan Mortensen

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2019, 03:09:13 am »

Mine is a dip stick that screws into where you would normally add the oil and does allow for checking of the oil level - like this....
https://www.ebay.com/itm/YAMAHA-EF3000ISEB-INVERTER-GENERATOR-MAGNETIC-OIL-LEVEL-DIPSTICK-NEW-ITEM/122644365799?hash=item1c8e2c81e7:g:Bt8AAOSwz2tZjjpi

Great, thanks! That same seller has one for my generator, and that seems to be the only source in America. Which seems odd if they are a common item.

Regardless, it's ordered.

Thanks again!

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 05:28:39 pm »

The advantage of magnetic drain plugs over dipsticks, is the metal bits (technical term) tend to sink, so are more likely to come under the attraction from the drain plug, which is at the lowest point.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2019, 05:28:39 pm »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 22 queries.