ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Amps and a dirty enviroment  (Read 3168 times)

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
Amps and a dirty enviroment
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:58:11 AM »

I'm about to install some new monitor amps and equipment rack at a local venue. There will be 4 xti6002's.

It's "indoors", but there's no A/C. During the day they raise all the large garage doors which go all around the building. Unfortunately, the environment is very dusty and dirty. The current amps are covered in dust. There's no front door on the rack.

I was thinking about mounting the amps in an new equipment rack with a perforated door and installing a filter on the inside of the door that can be changed out whenever it gets dirty.

I thought about rack fans, but I'm afraid they will get clooged

A couple of potential issues come to mind:

Restricting air flow which may cause overheating. They sometimes get pushed kinda hard. And It gets pretty warm here in the summer time.

Getting the venue to change out the filters. The filters might be someting I will need to monitor

What do you guys think? Thanks

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
Re: Amps and a dirty enviroment
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 11:59:28 AM »

class D requires less air flow, so collects less crap inside.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 12:55:32 PM »

Pre-filter on door would have been my suggestion. Perhaps something reusable from K&N engineering? Their engineering department can get you the correct filter based on CFM and form factor. They have helped me repeatedly with using their products for non-standard applications.

I'm about to install some new monitor amps and equipment rack at a local venue. There will be 4 xti6002's.

It's "indoors", but there's no A/C. During the day they raise all the large garage doors which go all around the building. Unfortunately, the environment is very dusty and dirty. The current amps are covered in dust. There's no front door on the rack.

I was thinking about mounting the amps in an new equipment rack with a perforated door and installing a filter on the inside of the door that can be changed out whenever it gets dirty.

Restricting air flow which may cause overheating. They sometimes get pushed kinda hard. And It gets pretty warm here in the summer time.

Getting the venue to change out the filters. The filters might be someting I will need to monitor

Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Monte

• My website
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 01:13:43 PM »

An option is to install the new amps, keep things as is, and provide service (cleaning, etc.) on an annual basis....
just a thought

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 01:15:48 PM »

I know this will be more work but if you can construct the Box bigger than the amp rack using Hvac style filter return grid on front and back that fits a large high micron filter on each side.then you wouldn't have to worry so much about high airflow and it would get plenty through a high micron filter that would rarely need changing.
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQh311wQtzl96IHnK_yYdnSDLqnceYFlRq9Ko4BqGzwuWjMPGP-5sev0g
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 01:18:59 PM by lindsay Dean »
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Jamin Lynch

• Corpus Christi, TX.
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »

An option is to install the new amps, keep things as is, and provide service (cleaning, etc.) on an annual basis....
just a thought

For a nominal fee of course...I like the way you're thinking.  ;D

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 04:32:26 PM »

If anything goes wrong, you're going to get blamed, so making a couple bucks to do the maintenance is also a good investment for your reputation.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:51:41 AM »

Brewsaster St?

What are you putting in there for mains? I never liked the last install, but as you know it was far and away better than the CV and JBL stack garbage that was in there years ago!

I don't think they've had a ton of problems with amps dying in there despite the horrible conditions. I think quarterly or biannual cleaning would suffice just fine.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Magnus Högkvist

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2019, 12:50:23 PM »

Do You have to install the equipment in the same place? Perhaps trying to find/ build a new space which is not as dirty from the beginning?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »

Do You have to install the equipment in the same place? Perhaps trying to find/ build a new space which is not as dirty from the beginning?

If it's the place I think it is, there is no alternative. There is no "indoor" space there. It's essentially a tin roof shed with side walls that are roll-up doors. If the venue is open the doors are up. Been there for years, and just to make things more interesting it's about 3 blocks from the ocean. There is a constant wind and the humidity is always high.

It's been a popular live music venue for many many years now.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 01:46:19 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.