ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not a trashcan  (Read 4321 times)

John Penkala

Not a trashcan
« on: May 17, 2019, 11:56:20 AM »

A peer was A1 at a show where someone mistook the transformer in the picture for the trashcan in the foreground. The show crashed after the big boom caused by someone throwing their lunch and drink away in the transformer. No one was hurt. Long extension cords had to be run to get the show up again.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 12:02:20 PM by John Penkala »

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
Re: Not a trashcan
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2019, 01:43:17 PM »

What a terrible design! I can't believe that would be up to code to have that sitting out there in the open with no protection.
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2019, 02:13:09 PM »

What a terrible design! I can't believe that would be up to code to have that sitting out there in the open with no protection.

Probably just fine by code when installed.  The problem came when someone decided that the equipment room had too much wasted space and decided to use it for storage/break room/etc.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2019, 03:08:37 PM »

I am a retired commercial electrician. Nothing wrong with that design. I installed many of those transformers. They are in electrical rooms and hung from trusses. This is the first time I ever heard of one being used for a trash can. The person that did it must not have a brain and cant read the warning label. I have seen electrical rooms piled with junk and some had the panel covers and dead fronts off. Electrical rooms are spacious for code requirements. 

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2019, 04:04:03 PM »

I can see the resemblance to a shred bin... people have been known to put all manner of trash in shredding and recycling containers.
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »

Code cannot address everything idiotic that can happen in the real world.  Idiots can be quite ingenious, don't 'cha know.

While not an electrician, I have seen quite a few of this general type of transformer - mostly high overhead, but this is a first I've seen one on the floor, "out in the open".   I can see in some circumstances that opening being mistaken for a trash chute. 

I'm glad no one was hurt. Expensive mistake(s).

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2019, 10:21:32 PM »

The other major issue in this picture is the cardboard.  Transformers like this typically have a 150 deg C design temperature rise-so in a 70 deg F room it could be running almost 340 deg F if heavily loaded.  Most people don't realize how hot these things can run.

I agree it meets code-but just because it meets code doesn't mean its a good idea.  I'm not sure the person who designed this application is any brighter than the person that thew the trash in-of course, it might have looked a lot different use wise when the install was done.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2019, 04:37:31 PM by Stephen Swaffer »
Steve Swaffer

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2019, 09:31:38 AM »

Time for one of these?

In the bad old days we ran community boxer subs. One particular festival we did would see those subs filled to the brim with cans, underwear, and condoms. All pushed up to the edge of the stage like a snowdrift.

We don't do that festival anymore.......
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2019, 01:19:14 AM »

Impressive! Haha
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Jean-Pierre Coetzee

• Classic LAB
  • Gauteng, South Africa
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2019, 05:43:51 AM »

I honestly feel that box can have a bit bigger warning labels. Sure it won't stop idiots but a big red/yellow sign with a picture of a person getting shocked tends to help people steer clear.
Audio Technician
Word & Life Church

"If you want "loud", then run a piece of sheet metal through a table saw------

If you want "watts"-then plug in a toaster"
- Ivan Beaver

Jonathan Johnson

• Southwest Washington (state, not DC)
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2019, 12:22:15 AM »

I honestly feel that box can have a bit bigger warning labels. Sure it won't stop idiots but a big red/yellow sign with a picture of a person getting shocked tends to help people steer clear.

Any reason transformer manufacturers don't just put hardware cloth (heavy-duty screen with 1/4" squares) over the vent to prevent this very problem?
Stop confusing the issue with facts and logic!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2019, 01:42:58 AM »

Any reason transformer manufacturers don't just put hardware cloth (heavy-duty screen with 1/4" squares) over the vent to prevent this very problem?

Because it costs more.  Same reason stage pockets (usually) aren’t water tight.  The people mopping the stage (usually) don’t dump a bucket of water in them.  Same principal with indoor transformers.  Most that I’ve seen aren’t publicly accessible. 

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2019, 04:59:49 AM »

That transformer is suppose to be in a locked electrical room or hung from an upper deck or roof trusses/beams or behind a tall chain link fence/etc. It is not suppose to be where the general public can touch it.

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2019, 05:06:55 AM »

That transformer is suppose to be in a locked electrical room or hung from an upper deck or roof trusses/beams or behind a tall chain link fence/etc. It is not suppose to be where the general public can touch it. Putting screen over the openings has nothing to do with cost. It is not suppose to in a situation where people can touch it. I am surprised the local building code safety people havent gotten a complaint. I have seen stuff that was installed without a permit and no after inspection by a city official. Also there is a mandatory 3' front clearance required. Thats 3' in front of the front.   

Jeff Bankston

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2019, 05:07:17 AM »

Has anyone seen the XO ?

Miguel Dahl

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »

I'd empty my McDonalds tray into that. Sorry for the show-stopper incident, but it's quite funny.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2019, 10:28:57 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.